Notifications
Clear all

CDF StarFighter

Page 1 / 2

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

From the developer of  CDF Ghostship comes a bit of pew,pew starfighter game http://www.magstudios.co.uk/cdf-starfighter.php other than that don't know anything about apart from some video that have been posted on YouTube.

Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another vid showing a new fighter but it in Oculus vision.

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered

Wow, another great 3d spacesim coming...  surely, we are living the the best time for spacesims!! 😀

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This is looking quite impressive, the sounds even had a echo effect when the ship returned to the hanger 🙂

Would like to know more about the game so it would help if they updated their website just a little ... hahah.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

The thing I always fear about these space combat games is the generic story line which has not changed much since the first Wing Commander game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Just seen they have a Kickstarter running at the moment. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/236569441/cdf-starfighter?ref=nav_search

£25 grand target, going to be hard one to get as these space combat game don't have a good track record on Kickstarter and off hand I can only think of two which have been successful.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

If they threw in a copy of Ghostship in one of the tiers I might be tempted...

ReplyQuote
ShaunWilliams
(@shaunwilliams)
Petty Officer Registered

If they threw in a copy of Ghostship in one of the tiers I might be tempted...

Great idea,  Check out the rewards 🙂

Thanks for your support guys,  lots more info to come!  Dont forget your feedback is always listened to 🙂

FAO - Pinback -  I couldn't send a private message,  so here is a good place to post it :

Hi Pinback,

Shaun Williams here from CDF Starfighter.  Thanks for helping to get the word out,  I have a busy month ahead, and everyone who helps has my utmost thanks 🙂

Aside from that,  we really need to build a community for CDF starfighter as the multiplayer side of the game will be huge focus and a community needs to be established for that.  We have our own bb forums at mag studios, but our resources are stretched for admin and maintenance of it.  I was thinking a while back about hosting all our community forums and comms within an established relevant community.  As Spacesimcentral is the ideal place for that, I would like to ask if its possible to have a new section opened for the game here on space sim central, which we hope will be the source of all community driven activity for our game as well as get more people over to the forum who may not know about it.  

Please let me know what you think,

Thanks

Shaun

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Great idea,  Check out the rewards 🙂

Backed!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

As Spacesimcentral is the ideal place for that, I would like to ask if its possible to have a new section opened for the game here on space sim central, which we hope will be the source of all community driven activity for our game as well as get more people over to the forum who may not know about it. 

You will need to PM Darkone above in post 5 as it's D1 forum/site.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Answered your PM, and once I have everything you will be up and running.

Welcome to the community 🙂

ReplyQuote
Stingray
(@stingray)
Crewman Registered

Look out for CDF Starfighter Scout Ship video footage arriving soon!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Kickstarter been cancelled and moved to Indiegogo https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/236569441/cdf-starfighter/posts/1412686

Hi everyone, first I would like to thank our backers before i announce that we have cancelled the funding campaign.  The rest of the team agree that our first week is too far off our target for us to have any realistic hope of reaching our target.  

We just don't have the exposure to get enough people to our campaign.  We have worked hard to get a thousand views over the last week, and with no press coverage we can not get the attention we need to be in with a chance of reaching our goal.

Thanks to everyone who helped support this project and VR focus, road to VR and worthplaying for giving our game some exposure.  

The future of CDF starfighter is unclear at this moment in time, we have moved our final 3 weeks left over to IndieGoGo with a flexible campaign so we can see how much we will have to work with.

You can visit the IndieGoGo campaign here : 

http://igg.me/at/CDFStarfighter/x/3583164

Going to be even harder to get funded on Indiegogo than it is on Kickstarter.

ReplyQuote
ShaunWilliams
(@shaunwilliams)
Petty Officer Registered

Kickstarter been cancelled and moved to Indiegogo https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/236569441/cdf-starfighter/posts/1412686

Going to be even harder to get funded on Indiegogo than it is on Kickstarter.

The funding we get on indieGoGo may not be much,  But its something.  On kicstarter we would not get any funding as the game will not reach its target.  The same happened with cdf Ghostship 2 years ago, and after the failed kickstarter we managed to get £200 to make CDF Ghostship with.  If we got more then it would have been much better.  

We are currently on £65, so what ever I can get to work with it will help.  

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Game funding is getting a lot tougher now because of the saturation of games trying to get funded and I think gamers are being picky as well. Pinback is right there hasn't been a lot of space/scifi related games that have been successful in meeting goals. I hope funding don't affect the overall goal of getting your game released.

Personally you need to get CDF Starfighter on steam greenlight (couldn't find it when looking). But this will help with getting that game name out there and continue posting some youtube videos and try again in a month or two. I wouldn't look into funding until you have been greenlit, thats just my .02.

What your team has developed so far is looking great and will have VR ability so this will be a desired game once people get some VR in the hands of gamers. You will have some competition in this space because there is several developers creating VR style space shooters as well. So take a look at these and try to come up with something those games will not have? i know CCP's game that is coming looks great so what will make CDF Starfighter outshine the other games that are coming...?

Also on a side note. When posting new info on the game I would recommend creating new posts to discuss it so it gets pushed to the mainpage.

ReplyQuote
ShaunWilliams
(@shaunwilliams)
Petty Officer Registered

Game funding is getting a lot tougher now because of the saturation of games trying to get funded and I think gamers are being picky as well. Pinback is right there hasn't been a lot of space/scifi related games that have been successful in meeting goals. I hope funding don't affect the overall goal of getting your game released.

Personally you need to get CDF Starfighter on steam greenlight (couldn't find it when looking). But this will help with getting that game name out there and continue posting some youtube videos and try again in a month or two. I wouldn't look into funding until you have been greenlit, thats just my .02.

What your team has developed so far is looking great and will have VR ability so this will be a desired game once people get some VR in the hands of gamers. You will have some competition in this space because there is several developers creating VR style space shooters as well. So take a look at these and try to come up with something those games will not have? i know CCP's game that is coming looks great so what will make CDF Starfighter outshine the other games that are coming...?

Also on a side note. When posting new info on the game I would recommend creating new posts to discuss it so it gets pushed to the mainpage.

Hi Darkone.  

I am a solo dev,  I am trying to get funding to get a small team together to carry the game forward.  

The game was greenlit a while back :  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=512130478

There are a few space games coming our way,  and CDF Starfighter is very different.  As on the info on the pages for Kickstarter and IndieGoGo.  CDF Starfighter fighter focuses purely on space combat,  nothing else, so thats the entire focus,  not open world, not dynamic universes, stats, massive multiplayer etc.          Starfighter is a plain and simple 90s style space combat simulator.  

The closest game to our is Eve Valkrie  -  which is also a space combat dogfighting game.  Eve is focused on multiplayer, and it will be stats related and based around the eve universe.   CDF Starfighter is focused on single player - like the old 90s sims and the multiplayer game modes we have lines up will be very different.  

The game will have a very different look and feel to it.  But Eve Valkyrie is probably the nearest thing out there whats coming,  although my unfunded game made by 1 person will be much cheaper than eve Valkyrie.  its an indie game,  eve has had millions, and millions and a huge team.  

Thanks for advice about posts,  i will be starting some new ones to give you a bit more info and show you why CDF Starfighter is different.  And some info about me 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

new video.

It's an impressive achievement the work you have done so far but it maybe just that peoples exceptions are some what greater than the standard 90s space shooter, as you say their are already a number of games out and I would say that that most of them can be called 1990 space sims.

As I have said before space combat games don't have a good track record with being crowd funded, the most recent one was Project Orion which just made it Kickstarter goal but I also wonder if Steam Greenlit is having an effect on weather people back a game or do they just wait for it to hit Steam.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Very nice trailer here, even saw the 'kickstart me' on the skin of that ship mid-way through the video 🙂

What a great effort so far on this game, especially as a solo dev. When I look at strictly a space shooter, the two things I look for most is level design and story. I am a huge Wing Commander/Freelancer/Starlancer fan and all of those games kept my interest because of the story and the level/mission design. If those are well thought out and done well and word gets out after people play it I think you will be just fine. So if you have interesting mission briefings that give some nice background and build upon a main story people will like it.

It's just a plus that you will also be VR compatible in my eyes. Visuals are great but content is king, if you provide the content people will talk about it. Not sure if you have thought about this yet, but if your tools for level creation are simplistic enough for gamers to use that could also help because then gamers can create content for your game. I mean all of the videos I have seen so far the game looks great and I am sure a lot of people would love to mod this game and create missions outside the campaign.

Look forward to reading more in the months ahead.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New video out.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I really like that radar/navigation system in the cockpit, and when the weapons are switched to that stronger weapon the hull shutters just a little bit when fired, nice touch!

ReplyQuote
ShaunWilliams
(@shaunwilliams)
Petty Officer Registered

Thanks Guys,  I have been hard at work.  I have just released a new gameplay video :

We are looking at getting everything squared up for an early access release on steam where we can polish up the single player and start working on multiplayer.   I will be putting up more info on here over the next few weeks as we get our web site updated and everything else.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New trailer up for the game.

ReplyQuote
ShaunWilliams
(@shaunwilliams)
Petty Officer Registered

I really like that radar/navigation system in the cockpit, and when the weapons are switched to that stronger weapon the hull shutters just a little bit when fired, nice touch!

There are lots of nice touches in the game which all make up the entire experience.  Still lots more improve and work on, so Early access on steam will build on the games potential, and maybe one day we will be able to get a toolset together, release the source and make it moddable.  The modding community needs a good base for space combat game which is based on current/next gen.  Hint hint 🙂

ReplyQuote
ShaunWilliams
(@shaunwilliams)
Petty Officer Registered

A look at the scramble mode - Random instant action :

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Looking good as always Shaun. Question since you really get to admire the carrier ship in this video. Will you actually see this ship in action during gameplay? So for instance there was a ship that was very close to the carrier and it never fired a shot, it would be great to see that happening and sets the mood for urgency as well when playing, specially since the enemy could possibly crash ships into the hull to damage it.

Also noticed when glancing at the radar when you were flying close to the carrier that it shows basically a wireframe of it, will your radar point out weak spots or damage spots on both friendly or enemy ships when it scans them?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2