Notifications
Clear all

Vr Version is coming March! Any interest in the NonVR version?

ShaunWilliams
(@shaunwilliams)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi everyone.  The VR focus has been in the forefront of CDF Starfighter,  In NonVR testing this game is really cool.  Steam will only let us launch one version, so if this is a game you would be interested in playing the old fashioned way (2d screen) then please give us some feedback and we can get moving on a NonVR version.

Whats the difference?

The initial release is VR only!

Non Vr version will have full cinematic and cut scenes.

Non Vr version will have a slightly different HUD and interface

NonVr version will ahve motion blur and a variety of 2d effects NonVR version will have keyboard and mouse support

None VR  version will be a much lower Min Spec (VR - currently an i5/i7 with a 4gb GTX 970)

CDF STarfighter is aimed at controller/joystick support,  How many of you play space combat sims with keyboard and mouse?

Let your voice be heard!

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Did not realise it was two separate games and given the price of the VR headsets I know I will not be buying one until they get the price down to a more consumer friendly price, so my vote would be for a normal version of the game.

Steam will only let us launch one version,

Crazy that Steam does not allow that as they seem to allow some companies to do it by using early access.

ReplyQuote
ShaunWilliams
(@shaunwilliams)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Did not realise it was two separate games and given the price of the VR headsets I know I will not be buying one until they get the price down to a more consumer friendly price, so my vote would be for a normal version of the game.

Crazy that Steam does not allow that as they seem to allow some companies to do it by using early access.

They where not to happy about the idea, i asked if they wanted me to do another greenlight for it but never got a reply.  So I may be starting a greenlight for the NonVR version shortly after the VR launch at the end of March.

ReplyQuote
mymatemonty
(@mymatemonty)
Crewman Registered

I think 4 or 5 others on the  CDF forum would like a normal version  also but they can't get  on this board to voice their opinion if your old forum is a guide? Sorry to see  that  Steam appears to  treat you the same way as me,with contempt !

ReplyQuote
mymatemonty
(@mymatemonty)
Crewman Registered

Had a good look over the site, can see you have got a lot of competition in the genre across here . I  do think with your experience in graphics and modelling and your storytelling ability  it must be a big plus.Can remember engaging in similar battles and fights in the X universe back in the 90's and  it was easy to drop back into  all that, until  Egosoft  lost the plot a couple of years back.ED doesn't tick all my boxes,so can but hope for your Non VR version appearing late March.

ReplyQuote
ShaunWilliams
(@shaunwilliams)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Monty.  This i s great place to host our forums, and yes there are lots of games out there but CDf Starfighter will be different in many ways as well as being our debut VR title.

I liked ED but its very different from our game.  Our game focuses purely on space combat with no trading, open universes, PVP, Stats and upgrade/customization etc.  We are going for a great pick up and play simulator which is fun, looks and plays great and is focused on space combat and a huge focus on single player.

ReplyQuote
thecursed
(@thecursed)
Crewman Registered

Would have though it's still a bit early for a VR version   as the price of the front runners in  the equipment stakes  is still too high for me. The non VR would be my choice as I already have the equipment in place?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hi Shaun

I know there is probably some serious code that would need to happen in Starfighter to accomplish this. But does the game actually need two versions or could you publish one game with both options? Because I have seen a few games that are non-VR and they come out with VR support later and it is just added to the core game. Couldn't you have both VR and non-VR in the same game and then it will be players choice to decide what to play (hardware permitting). Because I mirror Pinback's thoughts that I am going to wait to buy a VR headset because there just isn't enough out there to warrant the expense right now. And I think you would be leaving money on the table if you don't have a non-VR version (surprised Steam won't allow this).

Or come out with non-VR first to see how Starfighter does and add in VR later as DLC?

ReplyQuote
ShaunWilliams
(@shaunwilliams)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Shaun

I know there is probably some serious code that would need to happen in Starfighter to accomplish this. But does the game actually need two versions or could you publish one game with both options? Because I have seen a few games that are non-VR and they come out with VR support later and it is just added to the core game. Couldn't you have both VR and non-VR in the same game and then it will be players choice to decide what to play (hardware permitting). Because I mirror Pinback's thoughts that I am going to wait to buy a VR headset because there just isn't enough out there to warrant the expense right now. And I think you would be leaving money on the table if you don't have a non-VR version (surprised Steam won't allow this).

Or come out with non-VR first to see how Starfighter does and add in VR later as DLC?

I get asked that a lot lol.

The NonVR version will have a different campaign, the current one is purely focused on VR.
2 separate versions are necessary as they use different engine builds to start with, None Vr version uses global illumination.
The NonVR versions is huge difference in Minimum spec (Currently Min GTX 970 and i7)
NonVR version will also be released into early access and will be developed with the NonVR community through early access.
Full cinematic and Loading screens in NonVR, cant do this in VR.
NoneVR and the VR games will be between 10-15gb each, so many people would not be happy about having download both.

In essence the menu system and a lot of the core gameplay will be different on both versions.  The game has been designed for VR and like most games, if we just add a few patches to make it NonVR compatible then the both versions would suffer.  A nonVR version may not even be in the pipeline at the moment as we have just partnered up with Steam Vive and are also aiming for the PSVR at the fall of the Year.
Different models and effects needed for things like the radar etc and the NonVR version has a lot of changes needed to start off with.

To se how the game is coming along (VR) check out a first look :

ReplyQuote
EVader
(@evader)
Crewman Registered

Hello, have just signed up to the board having stumbled across CDF while searching through Steam.

Just wanted to say how awesome this game is looking and wanted to put my voice forward for a non VR version.

Have been playing alot of Freespace 2, X-Wing Alliance, Star Citizen, Dark Star One and Strike Suit Zero lately and more in the genre of Space Sims is certainly welcome.

ReplyQuote