Notifications
Clear all

Glorious space sim on amiga 500

natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Modern space sim take a lot of inspiration from the old glories, concepts like open universe, planet exploring and so on are not modern but from very old great space sim.
I was an amiga 500 player and for me the best space sim made in that period was starglider 2....who played it?

The starglider adventure started in 1986:

but the real revolution was with starglider 2 that had a revolutionary gameplay and a very high tecnichal level. Real 3d vector graphics, astounding environments, real open universe, you can also explore planets and make fuel on stars (just like elite dangerous).

This game stolen a lot of ours of my days!

Another very good space sim was Epic...it was inspired by battlestr galactica i suppose. It was on fighting, just like wing commander but also on planets. Very good graphics, sounds and music....i loved it! It was 1992!

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Never played StarGlider  when it came out but remember it being hyped a lot in the gaming magazines of the day plus the fact I thought it was too similar to Elite and the £15.00 price tag had a lot to do with it.

IIRC StarGlider 2 only worked on the A500 and did not work on the later Amiga+ or the A1200, although I have had a play around with it on emulation a few years back and was impressed by the seamless planet transfer which was a couple of years ahead of Frontiers.

Did play Epic when it came out, which also had a lot of hype, but I found it a bit too flat in the gameplay dept.

Their were a lots of space games on the Amiga, Elite, Frontiers, FOFT and the 3 mercenary games and of course Wing Commander which came out a couple years after the PC original and many others.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

IIRC StarGlider 2 only worked on the A500 and did not work on the later Amiga+ or the A1200, although I have had a play around with it on emulation a few years back and was impressed by the seamless planet transfer which was a couple of years ahead of Frontiers.

If you have your real A1200 around, you can play the whdload versions of both Starglider games.  

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Reminds me that I need to dig out the Amiga's and see if they still work.

Anyone ever play the Amiga version of Decent Freespace.?

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

I think it needed a PPC and a Voodoo card, for hardware requirements!! You could build a decent PC with all that money, at the time. (Besides I consider the 68k machines, as the Real Amigas)!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I got the hardware to play it on the Amiga but never bought the Amiga version and IIRC it was because by the time it was released on the Amiga I had played it on the PC.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

(Besides I consider the 68k machines, as the Real Amigas)!!

As do I

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Yes, it was ahead even for today if we consider that it works on 1mb ram and a 8mhz cpu!

About the amiga version of descent freespace...it was for amiga 3000?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

About the amiga version of descent freespace...it was for amiga 3000?

Can't remember now if their was a PPC card for the A3000 although I think their was one for the A4000.

Decent, Shago, Wipeout and Heretic were I think the only games converted to run on PPC Amiga's but a number of others games took advantage if you had the card fitted.

ReplyQuote
puke
 puke
(@puke)
Crewman Registered

Played it on the ST. Great game, fun story.

Only managed to get the scientist guy to install the cubes once, always had a problem finding the right bunker to bring him to. Never found the final boss to finish the game.

Was a ton of fun just flying around, knocking the trailers off of sky trucks and tractoring them.

Did SG1 have a plot or objective? I just remember it as an endless shooter.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Did SG1 have a plot or objective? I just remember it as an endless shooter.

Did you not have too destroy the Stargliders in the first game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Anyone ever play B.a.t 2 it was another one which did not work on the A1200 so I never got to play it back then but looks like mash up of a point and click game and a space simulator.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I just discovered that Epic had a sequel callend Inferno. I played inferno on my first x86 computer (a 486 dx) and i liked it very much. Now that i know it's an epic's sequel i notice that the game has a style very similar.

Returning to starglider 2...what about a reboot or sequel?

Can we (like a community) ask some developer to make a new starglider game?

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered

Hi Natan,

What an interesting post 😎

I played a lot Amiga 500 too around the early 90s, and I am very sorry to say that this title is not among my Amiga floppy disks... What a pity...But what a discovery, I never heard about Starglider, and this must be a jewel, no doubt !!

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Inferno was going to come out on the CD332 but was canned along with First Encounter IIRC.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I never heard about Starglider, and this must be a jewel, no doubt !!

A real jewel in every aspect...even from a technical point of view the game exibits a very good 3d graphic when other titles simply dreamed it!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Aye the developer went on to do StarFox for Nintendo.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Aye the developer went on to do StarFox for Nintendo.

And developed the Super FX chip, in the process!!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Talking of remakes I would like to see a another mercenary game.

ReplyQuote