Notifications
Clear all

Iron Seed

flarelight
(@flarelight)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Just wanted to share this game i have been playing around with called Iron Seed ( http://ironseed.com/). Its sort of like Star Control 2 of Starflight 1 and 2, upgrade ship and crew, explore planet surfaces, gather materials. So far it been really fun, can't believe i never heard of it before.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Yeah I uploaded the most recent version (ie community patched) a while back I have yet to play it personally, the original devs were starting work on a #2 but it looks like that fell through because no updates in 2yrs.

ReplyQuote
flarelight
(@flarelight)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Yeah I noticed you had it in the downloads section after I posted. Anyone who loved Star Control 2 or Starflight 1 and 2 should really give it a try, it has a deeper crew management were you have to keep everybody sane while balancing out improving their stats. It also seems to have a more strategic element to it than those games do, and yeah it seems that they stopped work on the sequel, to bad I would love to see something like this updated.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Never played it but is not more of an 4x game?.

ReplyQuote
DARI
 DARI
(@dari)
Senior Chief Registered

played the dos version back then -

its rather a space exploration game with ressource collection and manufacturing

not to mention this literally insane crew management

in my first games i always ran out of fuel - then in subsequent game my crew managed to get insane before i ran out of fuel

never made it much further in the past

but if memory doesnt fail me:

it had very nice music - and was totally incompatible with windows (at least for me)

so compared to the other mentioned titles ironseed was/is harder than those.

ReplyQuote
flarelight
(@flarelight)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Yeah it does seem a bit more complex than Star Control or Starflight, and you need to use dosbox to run it now, seems to run fine in that. Yeah it has some really good music too. Crew management does seem to have a pretty steep learning curve, havn't had a chance to get real far in it yet, but enjoying so far.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Searched the forum, and only spotted this topic in relation to the game Iron Seed. So using this topic to drop in some related Iron Seed news. (topic not to old for that in my view.)

The news. (see main http://ironseed.com/ website for links.)

- A slightly update version-patch has been made available. (v1.20.0016)

- And the source code(pascal if I'm correct) for this version also has been made available.

(4 August 2015: Iron Seed Site has gone blank.)

A "Quick Start Manual" manual is available at www.hotud.org ("ironseed.txt"). This manual is the same as included in the v1.20.0014 version available at SpaceSimCentral.

Well, think that's it.

MvGulik

v1.20.0016 change-log:

v1.20.0016 change-log

Misc:

- bugfix: Fixed another case of a message box appearing while fading in and giving an impression of a lock up if the screen is dark.

Conversation:

- bugfix: Generic aliens now have music playing again. This bug was a byproduct of adding volume fading to screen transitions.

- bugfix: Void Dwellers now have music playing. It was running out of memory while loading.

- bugfix: It would leak 768 bytes of memory every time conversation was initiated with aliens that did not have a foreground image (Void Dwellers and generic aliens).

- bugfix: Mouse cursor would disappear if a yes/no dialog pops up during conversation.

- fixed typo:  'statamounts' -> 'stratamounts'

Music:

- Changed the MOD loading code to load samples directly to EMS. Previous code loaded to conventional RAM before transferring to EMS. This sometimes prevented music with large samples from loading.

Scanning:

- There is a new probot the "Stardiver" this can be used to scan stars. Building this requires the thermoplast discovery.

- Scanning of stars will not be allowed if no "Stardivers" are in stock.

- bugfix: Stars no longer have planetary shields. This occured in the home systems of the major races.

Mining:

- Planets now have a depletion stat. Each time something is mined from a planet this will increase. This will gradually decrease each day nothing was mined. Travelling between stars will reset this to 0.

- bugfix: Normal minebots are no longer allowed on stars.

- New minebot type, the "Starminer". This minebot can only be placed on stars and will synthesise exotic materials. Building this requires the thermoplast discovery and at least level 10 in all crew members.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

A followup update: Source has been put up on Github.

Hi,

I have put the source up on Github and it's released under the GPL.

https://github.com/karynax/ironseed

This is a newer version (v1.30.0001) and has been stripped of stuff that we couldn't put under the GPL (the DMP sound/music library and the music). Obsolete and irrelevant stuff has also been removed. The DMP library has replaced with a stub so the source will successfully compile to a silent game. I think the music can be distributed separately, just not under GPL compatible terms.

Some notes on the build setup up can be found here: https://github.com/karynax/ironseed/blob/master/BUILD

As a bonus I have added .png files of all the graphic assets.

-Karynax

For other info on the game see the Iron Seed page on wikipedia.

MvGulik

---

[17 juli 2014]

Just something that might be helpfull/informative in relation to this game(gameplay).

Let's Figure out Ironseed (bay12forum topic, July 29, 2013 .. August 03, 2013)

other than that ... everything around Ironseed stayed the same.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I know that there has been many community updates to Ironseed throughout the years, do you know if these are going to continue or whether there is an effort to expand upon the game since the source is now available?

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

I currently have no clue about what others might be trying or planning in relation to the future of the game.

As the Iron Seed forum, as the main Iron Seed information/communication location, was taken off-line at the same time the source was released. It will be hard to know in advanced what might happen, until it happens.

(Having a link to this topic on the Iron Seed wiki page might draw in some old Iron seed users and info. If your ok with that.)

+(Iron Seed forum, while it was up, has been kinda silent for the last year(s) or so.

Keeping an eye out on possible GitHub forks of the source code might be one way to see if there might be some activity on the game. So far there are no code forks yet (not needed if someone just likes to play with the source code).

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Ironseed does have a very generic website up: http://ironseed.net/

And you can download the source and compile it to play Ironseed here: https://github.com/karynax/ironseed/tree/f0ca947d4dd391f86d13be473c503cb8372796c1

Or go to the download area and get it: http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/files/file/168-iron-seed/

ReplyQuote