Notifications
Clear all

Space Sim Central Space Station

maksw
(@maksw)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

We're looking for ideas for the SSC Space Station, which will grace a nice quiet spot in the Dominion galaxy!

SolCommand has stepped up to do the modelling, and we'll keep him in spare bike parts as he hits the poly's!

When complete, SolCommand will put the model on his site for free for everyone to download (still presuming that's ok D1?) - including the other projects on SSC.

So - open forum! Piccies, ideas, links to references... drop 'em here!

What should SSCSS look like?

SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Can't wait to see what pics you guys come up with. Seems this one could be a pretty interesting project.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I am not an artist and I haven't scanned google yet but I envision SSC to be on the fringe of space almost a relic of a time that has passed. It doesn't have the latest tech, but its built of some sturdy stuff to have been through many wars with the evidence still on its hardened shell. It is a place where anyone is accepted to dock as long as you can find it, so not a massive structure but a sturdy one. SSC believes in the old school protection methods with flak turrets using ammunition's, and a nice surprise of mini-nukes for the unfortunate souls that try to take this station by force. SSC produces a field that almost make's it invisible to radar by the use of a few satellites that help mask SSC's radar signature. SSC is not re-supplied by normal means, it is only supplied by its patrons and its secrets have always been an unknown to outsiders and it is been rumored that pilots that call this old hunk of metal home are some of the best pilots around and fiercely defend this aging structure.

So for design... I see you using big large pieces of 'metal' that are thick but show its age and that it has been around a while, I want to say that these large metal pieces could be 'moved' into place during an attack to harden the base and also reveal SSC's true weapons, guess its all about looks are deceiving. Not too many windows that are visible, weapons your already good those. I will leave it up to you SolCommand as to whether SSC looks best based into an asteroid or in free space. What has kept SSC unknown to most is where it is located mainly. But putting its satillites and comms into asteroids or in debris is fine as well, It would be nice to see it as more a relic than state of the art, something that you could still see functioning a 1000+ years from now, old reliable πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Warrant Officer Registered

hey dont forget the hangar for my Viper Defense Craft  πŸ˜€

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

... It would be nice to see it as more a relic than state of the art...

How about a steampunk station? Seriously though... old and rugged sounds good.

Oolite Naval AttachΓ©

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

An old hollowed out asteroid maybe hidden away in a dust cloud somewhere?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Babylon-5-Station-babylon-5-10824721-128

ReplyQuote
maksw
(@maksw)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Subtle Pinback πŸ˜‰

Keep 'em coming guys! May have to do a poll somehow at some point...

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This is pretty close to what I was thinking but there would need to be some changes to this

asteroid_base.jpg

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This is pretty close to what I was thinking but there would need to be some changes to this...

Ah, so I wasn't too far away then. On the same theme...

Omega.jpg

Or perhaps more old school....

2077asteroid_v2_mid_2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Or perhaps more old school....

2077asteroid_v2_mid_2.jpg

I like that... a lot!

Oolite Naval AttachΓ©

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Me too theirs always some thing fascinating about asteroids station.

ReplyQuote
maksw
(@maksw)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Looks like an Asteroid based station is the flavour... SolCommand - you had a couple of station models on that theme already as I recall? They could make a good starting point.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Cheers for the pics and other details, they give me a solid starting point for the design. I will start working on it as soon as I finish my current project and that other ship for you.

Let's see how this one turns up πŸ™‚ 

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Hey guys

Well, if you wanted an asteroid based station, you got one πŸ™‚

Took me a few days to figure out what design style to go for but eventually I went with my favorite of them all, a mining station. Most of it is all original except part of the main building which is inspired by a Star Citizen concept and the solar panels which are inspired by Black Prophecy.

Here's the background info for it:

The SSC Mining Outpost is located somewhere in deep space and few know of it as it does not show up on most commercial solar system charts.  This station is designed for rare ore extraction from high density asteroids and for that purpose it has a large processing plant where asteroids get hauled in by small automated drones or local miners looking for a share of the profits.

The station is fitted with a refining system for ore and gas and it also has the facilities to build ship parts for the few miners who are operating in its area. Installed on one of the sides of the asteroid is the fuel depo, large enough to sustain operations for a long period of time without the need for frequent refueling as the freighter convoys which come in this area are rare and those sometimes fall prey to clans of pirates flying in these territories. Slightly below the fuel depo is a large array of solar panels that provide all the necessary power to the station and slightly more. Due to the station being located in an asteroid field, these solar panels sometimes get damaged or even destroyed by the small asteroids flying around so, in one of the interior storage areas, the station keeps several dozens spare panels for parts or replacement.

At the bottom of the home asteroid is the external storage area where cargo units are moved in and out for different purposes, like freighters which are too large to dock inside a hangar or for the miners who wish to deposit their mined ore without docking with the station.

All in all, this is one of the best mining facilities in the sector for veteran miners who have the ships and equipment to tackle high density asteroids but, due to its location so far out, few know of it or wish to go through the hardships of deep space mining.

Let me know of any suggestions you might have concerning parts and details you'd like to see added and I could make a second version based on your input.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Looking good, SolCommand. Will the bar have a panoramic window?

Oolite Naval AttachΓ©

ReplyQuote
maksw
(@maksw)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maksw/dominion-fight-for-your-future-amongst-the-stars/posts/478740

πŸ˜‰

Awesome job SolCommand - as per πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Love it! and yes the bar, very important that!

ReplyQuote
LancerSolurus
(@lancersolurus)
Senior Chief Registered

Looking great Sol. I may stick this one in a far corner of the galaxy just to see if someone will find it πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote