Clear all

XBox 1 Elite Dangerous

Page 1 / 2

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Launch trailer.

Looks like Frontier Development are bullshitting their buyer again unless they have made some serious changes to the game.

Anonymous

I like the game ED. But I have to agree with you on this one. BS.

ReplyQuote
h4432
(@h4432)
Crewman Registered

It is pleasing to see the lying scum@fdev still plying their trade lying and pissing more on their initial kickstarter backers and public credibility wich is nonexistant as of 08.12.2014 :

1. Offline sp mode ( lied for the whole development of the game that it’ll have an offline mode and suddenly a month before the release it was brushed away in a pathetic manner, even to people who bought the pre-alpha or alpha or whatever it was called )

2. Features that the game was expected to launch with never were there in the first place

3. Content for other paltforms will always be on pc first then other supported* platforms if any ( failbox1 and/or ps4 ( not sure about ps4 ))

4. Customer support is nonexistant and my condoleances go to whoever has ANY issue and has to use their customer/support service..even today.

Im sure more sure i can add so many things to the list and more lies are coming in the future from fdev its a disgrace and an insult to everyone who bought elited.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Looks like Frontier Development are bullshitting their buyer again unless they have made some serious changes to the game.

Try shooting inside a "No Fire Zone" near a station, to see what happens     !!!!   

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Try shooting inside a "No Fire Zone" near a station, to see what happens     !!!!   

Don't no as I never played it but I have become some what jaded to any claims made by Frontier developments.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Forgive my ignorance here but I don't own E:D and I haven't really been following it all too closely. But isn't this XboxOne release just a glorified arena or do Xbox folks get to explore and do everything that PC players do now? From what i have read quickly the PC owners should get this for free later?

How is that breaking a promise, I didn't see anything on the kickstarter page that stated all new content needs to be released on PC first?

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

Yeah, this trailer is complete bullshit.

HOWEVER, I have to defend FD on it, a little.  Every single AAA game that comes out has a string of complete bullshit "cinematic" trailers which have absolutely nothing to do with the actual gameplay.  I don't see how this one is any worse, in fact, in a lot of ways I don't think it's quite as bad.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Yeah, this trailer is complete bullshit.

HOWEVER, I have to defend FD on it, a little.  Every single AAA game that comes out has a string of complete bullshit "cinematic" trailers which have absolutely nothing to do with the actual gameplay.  I don't see how this one is any worse, in fact, in a lot of ways I don't think it's quite as bad.

Exactly!!! But we need to look at ourselves as the root cause of all these "cinematic" BS. We get all excited by all this because we love been entertained. And most game developers realise this and will play this card to get your money into their pockets.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I think cinematic trailers only work on me if I'm 1) already very excited about the game and 2) already think I have a very good idea of what the gameplay will be like.  For example, I had no problem at all with the trailers for the new Deus Ex.  Perhaps I'd have felt the same way about the trailer for the new Mass Effect, but having no clue what that game will entail, I find it stupid and maybe even a little frustrating.

Bad trailers certainly do seem to be a disease of the gaming industry that I can't comprehend.  Another thing about trailers which has been the case for many years is that they often suppress the UI (even in tactics or strategy games)!  In my experience UI is one of the most important aspects of a game, there is no conceivable reason not to show it.  They should have showed more of it in the Elite trailer above, the UI in that game is beautiful.

I really can't understand why the marketing people think it best to obscure and misrepresent gameplay.  Game developers should be proud of their gameplay footage, there are tons of great games out there which have ridiculous trailers which would give no hint of it.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Don't no as I never played it but I have become some what jaded to any claims made by Frontier developments.

Fighting inside  a "No Fire Zone"| is a no go!!! (Too many fines, and eventual destruction !!!), so I do not know where that battle came from!!!!

But isn't this XboxOne release just a glorified arena or do Xbox folks get to explore and do everything that PC players do now? 

I think it is the whole game, not just an arena! (But I still do not know if there will be cross - platform play). If you liked the original game, you will also like E:D. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

According to this article http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/elite-dangerous-at-e3-xbox-exclusives-and-qa-with-david-braben/ it's a timed exclusive for the XBox 1, a quick dip in and out game mode and will not have any effect on the main game.

Frontier has announced an arena combat-style game mode called “Close Quarters Combat,” or CQC—which will be a timed exclusive on the XBox One version of Elite: Dangerous. Braben and his team had no release dates for us—saying that CQC is coming “soon” for Xbox One and will be on PC “this year”—but we got to spend some time with the new game mode.

Also no cross platform play.

Producer Ben Dowie reiterated that Xbox One and PC players won’t be playing head-to-head—although they’ll be playing in the same simulated universe, they’ll never encounter each other in space

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered

In my experience UI is one of the most important aspects of a game, there is no conceivable reason not to show it.  They should have showed more of it in the Elite trailer above, the UI in that game is beautiful.

I really can't understand why the marketing people think it best to obscure and misrepresent gameplay.  Game developers should be proud of their gameplay footage, there are tons of great games out there which have ridiculous trailers which would give no hint of it.

The market is obsessed with being flashier than the previous thing and people buy it. A good UI, excellent gameplay and reasonable promises don't sell a game, take it from me - what sells a game to the eager majority is belting them over the head with something that stuns and coaxing the money from their pockets while they are rendered senseless.

I don't agree with it, I show UI in all my videos but soon I'll have to conform to the exaggerated action-shot nonsense simply put; because it's what everyone else does... and i'll probably sell more to boot.

It never pays to be the honest John - been there, tried it. I won't lie to people but I got something to sell at the end of the day...

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered

Yep, I bought it and considered myself suckered for paying £45 for an empty shell - then I learnt they are intending on charging for planet landings and all the stuff that actually made Elite. That guy has some nerve, I'll be interested to see what happens to his name over the years, an indie developer would be crucified.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Huh? What?!    

Forgive my ignorance, but like DarkOne said: wasn't this game meant to be played online only? And now it comes out that other playable versions are possible !!!!

IMHO this is taking on a ride the players - and bakers. It's not that I'm angry, because not directly concerned not having buyed the game yet, but just plain confused.

Still I hope for an offline >>>STAND ALONE<<<< PC version. On Steam or on any protected interface on Mars if they whish...

I understand that the galaxy will be ripped in some way, but introducing some good ship AI replacing the online players cannot harm for any on-going of the product, quite the contratry.

XenonS

P.S.

Maybe I'll wait until GOG releases it

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Had me for £110 which has given me a galaxy size chip on my shoulder concerning this game.

Best quote on E:D I have seen on the net "Elite Dangerous, wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle".

Theirs always a risk with crowdfunding a game but I will never back anything again with an industry name attached to it as we have seen with Braden and Molyneux. It's now upto Roberts now to redeem their reputations.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Maybe this XBox release is the first step for getting away from the pure online kind of game. If yes, we'll also see a DVD Box release for the PC in the stores at some point. Also starting with such a version,  I would certainly also pay for additional add-ons.

Question is: Is this the plan of Frontier Development? It doesn't make sense not advertising for that, so I'd like them to be very clear about in order not to upset the buying community. Frontier Development seems to need a real boost in their marketing strategy (*).

XenonS

(*)

For the sake of a good decision from FD, I really hope any upgrade/update is possible on XBox (I don't know because not playing this platform). If not, I don't bet a penny for any commercial success. The core audience of this game knows *exactly* what it wants to get, such people will not buy any rip of the game, and the video above tells nothing, to say it the polite way.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Best quote on E:D I have seen on the net "Elite Dangerous, wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle".

I have my own list of things that I really dislike about the game, but, come on, where today can you get an even remotely comparable experience?  There is too little to do, there is more than there was in Frontier.  I really don't think "deep as a puddle" is a fair characterization.  For god's sake, Bioshock Infinite was the most talked about game in the last 5 years.  Call of Doody and Battlefield have taken over the FPS genre.  There simply are no space/flight sims.  E:D seems pretty damn deep when you consider that.  FD doesn't put enough thought into what players can actually spend their time doing, but it's still a good game in its current state.  I don't regret my purchase.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Fair enough if people are happy with the game, lets move on and try to keep the thread on topic and not about my bitter and twisted resentment of the game and it's developer. 😆

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered

Had me for £110 which has given me a galaxy size chip on my shoulder concerning this game.

Theirs always a risk with crowdfunding a game but I will never back anything again with an industry name attached to it as we have seen with Braden and Molyneux. It's now upto Roberts now to redeem their reputations.

I have my own list of things that I really dislike about the game, but, come on, where today can you get an even remotely comparable experience?  There is too little to do, there is more than there was in Frontier.  I really don't think "deep as a puddle" is a fair characterization.

Crazy, I just got taken then from 'omg Pinback is right, what a tragic state of affairs' to 'oh actually that's a really good point from ExpandingMan' isn't it shocking how posts can rile a person so.

I do wish Braben (and Roberts) weren't such blatent profiteers - they are literally wringing the market dry and questionable game content aside their attitude towards the player (read: payer) is deplorable and what's worse? Obviously all devs must be profiteers in the eye's of the riled...

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered

But anyways, more back on topic - I found Elite: Dangerous was played best for me when I attached my Xbox Controller.

I tried keyboard and mouse; yuck - I went and brought an expensive joystick; meh - Xbox controller; PERFECT.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

But anyways, more back on topic - I found Elite: Dangerous was played best for me when I attached my Xbox Controller.

I tried keyboard and mouse; yuck - I went and brought an expensive joystick; meh - Xbox controller; PERFECT.

I am not quite satisfied with any of the control surfaces existing right now.  I have found that I am beginning to really dislike throttles if not so much flight sticks.  The biggest problem I have with HOTAS setups right now is that they seem somehow inadequate for 6DOF.  I have spent most of my time playing Elite: Dangerous with the mouse and a Logitech G13 gameboard, which has a controller-style analog thumb-stick which I use for lateral movement.  I have mouse set to pitch/yaw, while I control roll with two buttons on the gameboard.  I find this a fairly satisfactory setup.  The biggest problem with the mouse is that it is not quite as comfortable to maintain slow and steady movement as it is with the joystick, on the other hand the mouse is infinitely better for rapid rotational acceleration than the joystick.  I suppose if I felt the existing HOTAS setups were better for lateral movement, if it had a nice controller-style thumbstick and an extremely solid feeling throttle, I might go back to using one.  Currently, I feel that the mouse and gameboard is the best available control surface.

I have long hated controllers, but not dogmatically so.  I find the concept of people playing FPS games on controllers absolutely horrifying (the recent Deus Ex Mankind Divided video having been shown with a controller made me want to punch in my monitor).  On the other hand, I like to hope that if controllers could somehow be made to feel MUCH more precise, they might have some value, especially for flight sims.  I've long ago decided to buy the Steam Controller when it comes out, and even if it is not the windfall I am hoping for, I will probably use it for a few retro and platformer games.

Ultimately I think we need much better control surfaces, I hope that whatever collaboration the Star Citizen people are doing will result in something nice for space-sims, especially since they have expressed the need for something well-suited to 6DOF.  

Oh dear, I seem to have radically diverged from the topic.  Therefore, I should add: TL;DR: I don't like XBone controllers, but am hopeful that a similar device could be at least as good as the alternatives.

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered

Each to their own I suppose, but I encourage anyone to try it out - it's perfect for the 6DOF due to the two analogue sticks and shoulder buttons and from the second you start the game the control system is intuitive.

I do agree with FPS on a controller tho, it is an unforgivable sin and out of the two major players PS/Xbox the Xbox controller is easily the best. I find the PS controller gives me aches in the thumb sockets after 2 hours of steady play....

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Their may be a very good good reason for that, remember this early dev dairy.

observe what the three wise monkey are using to play the game.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Each to their own I suppose, but I encourage anyone to try it out - it's perfect for the 6DOF due to the two analogue sticks and shoulder buttons and from the second you start the game the control system is intuitive.

That's why I'm hopeful that someone will eventually build some sort of controller that I like better.  Maybe, Steam, maybe, we'll see.  At least it's only $50

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered

That's why I'm hopeful that someone will eventually build some sort of controller that I like better.  Maybe, Steam, maybe, we'll see.  At least it's only $50

Are they still going for two pressure pads rather than sticks?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2