Notifications
Clear all

Display problems

Dimotane
(@dimotane)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Firstly, thankyou so much for putting all this together into 1 complete package. It's great to have a crack at Elite once again.

I am having an issue though. Firstly I noticed the icons on the HUD were missing but I also think there may be other graphical problems with the HUD aswell.

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

I've tried alot of different resolutions in both Window and Fullscreen mode with aspect fix on and off.

I've rolled my driver back to previous versions.

I've also tried running the program in compatability mode.

Nothing seems to get the HUD looking right.

Tech specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo Laptop

Windows XP SP3

NVIDIA GeForce 8600m GT

Direct x 9.0

If there's no current fix for this, is there some way to get the original HUD back? I didn't mind the old one to be honest!

Cheers in advance,

Dimotane

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I just loaded this up and used both cockpit views (orig and mod)

To use the following cockpit don't enable any cockpit mods

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

Enable the cockpit mod in the JSGME

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

Cockpit was fully functional on both tries. Here is my current config that is working on Win7 64bit:

Code:
[VIDEO]
fullscreen=0
aspectfix=0
modelexport=0
wireframe=0

# Set parameters separately for fullscreen (fs) and windowed (win)
# Switch between with Ctrl-F12

# Fullscreen parameters
fswidth=1920
fsheight=1080
fsbpp=32

# Windowed parameters
winwidth=800
winheight=600

ReplyQuote
Dimotane
(@dimotane)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for that!

So judging by your screenshots the only problem I've got is the icons not showing.

I've had a poke about in the graphics folder and they're just RGB .png's - nothing strange there.

It's the same whether I use the cockpit mod or not aswell, so it's an issue in the actual game. I've read on these forums that it was fixed when changing resolution or window mode for some users, so that leads me to believe the code is right - it might just be my graphics card that's the problem.

I wonder if this is only happening on NVIDIA cards?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

It runs fine with me on 1280x1024 full screen mode on my NVIDIA based heap of crap. Windowed mode is a bit more problematic though....

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

I hate to say it D1, but this is the same issue I am having, nobody on the FF forums has a solution either.

With the modded cockpit.

x3cqk8.png

Without the modded cockpit

fmknld.jpg

Im on a Windows 7 64 Bit

INtel i5 2.26ghz

Nvidia GTS 360M 1gb vram

4g Ram

Im not worried about it, as this seems to be an unsolvable issue that only effects a few of us. I'll just play JJFFE/GLFFE.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

That is really weird that the missing icons on the buttons only effect some people and not everyone. I have experienced this issue when loading up FFED3D with the modded cockpit because if I did I would have included the mod at all in the package. You should be able to enable the original cockpit via the mod manager. Wonder if putting the button images on the button itself solve the issue for everyone?

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

Im not sure, such a thing is beyond my knowledge. Kind of a shame that the D3D team stopped devolopment. However, I'm not worried about it, at this stage, it doesn't look fixable. Simply something that happens randomly. Its the nature of computer programing. Doesn't work for all of us.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

I always thought that bug was caused by certain resolutions. Try playing full-sreen in a different resolution, higher or lower and that should fix it.

ReplyQuote
Vladel
(@vladel)
Crewman Registered

on both my laptop and desktop i can only get the icons on 1280 x 1024 in window and fullscreen but then all of the planets are shaped more like rugby balls. i can do 1440 x 1024 on my laptop to get a decent window with the icons but then the icons don't work when you click them lol.

It seems that if the height is 1024 or higher, it works. it will even work on 1024 x 1024 which looks fairly ridiculous but the icons are there.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

My laptop wont support other resolutions with this game, not sure why. Gives a 'Device Failed' error. Not too worried about it, as I'm enjoying GLFFE.

ReplyQuote
Ende
 Ende
(@ende)
Crewman Registered

Sorry to necro this old thread but ive just installed FFED3D onto my XP machine and have exactly the same issue... no icons on my HUD.

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to this issue?

Or is it simply a case of changing the resolution until it works?

~Ende~

(my first post so be nice! lol)

ReplyQuote
Styggron
(@styggron)
Master Chief Registered

I've been trying to get the missing icons going for a long long long time. Nothing ever worked which is a great pity.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

Hey guys, I had the very same problem too, but the problem is my laptop doesn't support resolution above 1366x768. Any alternative to fix those icons?

ReplyQuote
Tintee
(@tintee)
Crewman Registered

Just recently started playing this game and had noticed that some ppl had problems with the icons displaying. Mine were fine for about the first 3 days and then disapeared as i was messing about with resolution etc. So i deleted the game and unrared again. Same thing, no icons, so i thought back to what i had done originally when they were working fine. I had run the game fullscreen at my monitors native resolution. Which in my case is 1920x1080. So i did this and there the icons were again. It has run flawelessly since then. Run the game at your screens native res and make sure to leave  aspectfix=0 as i also did.

Hope this helps anyone with this problem!

ReplyQuote
Bonhovis
(@bonhovis)
Crewman Registered

Hi all! Sorry to resurrect a thread that died two years ago, but I was playing Elite Dangerous and I was remembering all the good times that I used to have on First Encounters as well as Frontier Elite 2, so I decided to see if I could reinstall it and found your wonderful HD revamp of the original. Awesome work guys!

I thought I'd note that I also had problems with the icons not displaying, played around with the resolution a bit to unfortunately no avail. I have a hybrid laptop that utilises a Nvidia and Intel chipset, but had been running FFED3D with the Nvidia chipset. However, after switching to my Intel graphics, the icons have now reappeared, so I'm wondering whether it might actually be a problem with Nvidia cards themselves too.

I agree with above though, I thought it would most likely be something to do with the resolution, so play around with both! Hope this helps too.

ReplyQuote
Bonhovis
(@bonhovis)
Crewman Registered

Ahh just realised I was running the FFE D3D.exe, instead of FFED3DAJ.exe. Works absolutely fine with my Nvidia card now, icons are there and actually can click on them properly rather than aiming below! Many thanks for all your hard work!

ReplyQuote