Notifications
Clear all

The Outer Worlds

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Now this looks really good, least from a trailer aspect. I take it for those that like fallout new vegas should like this. Obsidian Entertainment I think just hit a homerun with this title and if they keep refining it over the next few months and release it Q4 next year it should be really solid. I think Starfield is in trouble 😉 Bethesda now knows what happens to your reputation when you release something unfinished... all Obsidian needs to do is concentrate on quality and the game will sell itself.

Bethesda contracted Obsidian to make Fallout NV in like 1.5yrs and that game is one of the most liked in the whole series, and Bethesda shafted Obsidian on their bonus... So I hope Obsidian is very successful with this new IP.

This topic was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

Topic Tags
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Reminds me of the Precursors, they also have a Steam page https://store.steampowered.com/app/578650/The_Outer_Worlds/ with a bit about the game.

Two planets are mentioned and my guess would be that the gameplay arear on the planet would be a map rather than a full planet map, no mention of any vehicles or aircraft, but we may see something later about that.

It also mentions a ship and crew and my guess would be a Mass Effect type ship where you don't fly the ship and it more of a player hub. I know I would prefer a flyable ship and full scale solar system with the planets, moons and stations in it but I don't think we will get anything like that, more likely to be Mass Effect/ Fallout mash up.

Edit just spotted this on YouTube, 14 minutes of gameplay, also some detail from PC Gamer website https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidians-the-outer-worlds-blends-firefly-and-fallout-into-a-bold-open-ended-sci-fi-rpg/ looks I was right about the ship and wrong about the map as it looks like it will be more linear than open world.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

And they are off to the Epic games store as well, with the Steam release some time in 2020 https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=578650

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

🙁

Damn Epic, what is Steam doing? I cannot blame Obsidian they are just trying to get paid and it will release a year later on all other store types.

I personally like all my games in one spot and I don't intend on changing for 1-2 games, especially since they will all be on steam eventually. I guess I will just wait, I have over 500 games on steam that I need to play any way 🙂

Why devs not just release it everywhere.... and let the people choose where they buy it. This strong arm tactics that Epic is doing is kinda low in my opinion and I hope Valve has a answer for this stuff or Epic will continue to own the big titles.

I was looking forward to The Outer Worlds, but now I will just wait.... Which might be the better decision any way, when it hits steam it will be all patched up and ready to play.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Here is latest gameplay video from PAX

ReplyQuote
SpaceCaptain
(@spacecaptain)
Petty Officer Registered

Is it just me or is the gameplay demo a bit underwhelming?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Agreed... It was more MEH for me... I can definitely wait a year while it sits on the Epic store 🙂 Maybe my mind will change depending on when they show off what we can do in space and the mechanics around it all.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looks pretty much like your standard FPS, just with a sci-fi overcoat.

One thing which annoys me about FPS games is when you have a city and all you have is about 5 npc standing around. you never get the hustle and bustle you see in a 3rd person game like GTA.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Very true and good point, thats why Cyberpunk 2077 looks sooo good, that world looks alive.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Games out 25th of October and I read that it's no longer an Epic exclusive as it's going to be on Microsoft new service, but still won't be on Steam until next year.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Meh would be my response to this, although having said that I will probably pick it up in a year or two.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

🙂 Me too, in a year or two this should be a solid game with mods and patches. But it is looking good so far, I do want to see more combat in all aspects.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Game is released next week 10/25/19

System Requirements for The Outer Worlds

Minimum

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 or AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
RAM: 4GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti or AMD HD 7850
HDD Space: 40GB

Recommended

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K or Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB or Radeon RX 470
HDD Space: 40GB

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Looks like the first expansion is being released in September... Peril on Gorgon

This game should finally be released on Steam in Oct sometime that is when the EGS exclusivity should be done

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Here is some gameplay

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Should be dropping on Steam on the 23 of this month, I read in the Steam forum that it's a bit on the short side, think I may pick it up next year on the PS4.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

So I have started playing this and it's more of an RPG than I thought it was, given that it looks like a bog standard FPS.

Not that far into it yet but the text seems very small on screen and the character generation was a bit simplistic and no making funny looking avatar as you can some other games.

Also not got the hang of adding experience points, seems it won't allow me, so must be doing some thing wrong.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Yeah I noticed this was on sale and thinking about getting it, but playing some other games right now.... does it use a VATS style system like in Fallout?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Not played any of the Fallouts after 2 but if you mean is the combat system the same as they had in 3 then no it more of your standard 3D shooter although you can slow down time.

Just got the ship fixed up and it appears to be just a hub like Mass Effect and collected a couple of crew members but not been anywhere else yet and no vehicles in it so far, also no swimming but does have a day/night thing going on.  

Game has a bit of an FireFly feeling to it, maybe someone will do a mod one day.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Find myself rather enjoying this although it's lacks any vehicles as it uses a quick travel system if you want to get around the area faster, but you do have to find them first.

one big bugbear about these types of game that I always have is that you have no space part again the ship just acts as a hub where you can store weapons and chat to the crew, this is where Precursors still beat the pants off any these sorts of game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Just bought the DLC for this as for some reason I stopped playing it and never got going again, hopefully I might be able to finish the game.

ReplyQuote
Blah64
(@blah64)
Senior Chief Registered

Epic Games recently gave away the Spacer's Choice Edition for free.

Combined with the UEVR Injector releasing, I've finally gotten myself to play it.  It's a solid VR game so far.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice, did not know that their was a VR version of the game, will have to keep it in mind as I'm playing the game on the PS4 at the moment.

ReplyQuote