Notifications
Clear all

Alite - Elite for Android

Stardust
(@stardust)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

Alite is a free fan port of the classic (Amiga) Elite. Its web-site can be found here: http://alite.mobi and the game can be downloaded from the PlayStore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.phbouillon.android.games.alite

I have been working on this game for about 2.5 years now, originally setting out to "only" make an Android Text-Elite (Talite, so to speak :)), however, I was nudged into making the full 3D game and I had a fantastic mentor who literally taught me everything I know about 3D. The learning experience in writing this game has been amazing and I hope you will have as much fun playing the game as I had writing it.

I will release the source code of Alite by the end of this year -- there are a few surprises in the game, which I'd like to be found by gamers, before releasing the source, though :).

If you have any questions, please drop me a line :).

Most importantly: Have fun playing the game!!

Cheers!

Cmdr. Stardust aka Philipp

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This looks great Philipp!   I have no idea if it will run on my old crappy phone but I will give it a try!

EDIT: I gave this thread a bump over on the Frontier Forum. Hopefully it helps get the word out.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Nicely done Stardust 😎

ReplyQuote
Stardust
(@stardust)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks Geraldine, thanks Pinback! Glad you like it 🙂

ReplyQuote
Stardust
(@stardust)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

By the way: @Geraldine, if you have an older phone, you might like to check the available control options (Select "Options" in the "Command Console", the scrollable menu on the right, and choose "Control Options"). You can choose between "Accelerometer Control", which is the default, "Control Pad", "Cursor Block", and "Split Cursor Keys". The latter three overlay virtual controls on your Cobra and the controls feel more like PC keys then...

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Thanks for that Stardust but controlling the ship is great, its just the writing I cant make out too well but that is not the fault of the game, it's the tiny screen my old phone has. Soon though I will be getting a better phone and Alite is going onto it the first chance I get. Perfect for lunch breaks at work!

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

Well this looks very nice! I like the Cobra III, but I liked it in Oolite as well so...

...any how! Great stuff! Always nice too  see more versions of Elite on more platforms!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Oh and by the way does anyone see the resemblance of the training instructor Commander Quelo to this guy, Colonel Miles Quaritch from the movie Avatar? Best character in that movie by a long shot in my view.

Avatar-001.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sh

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Alite now has a fledgling forum. Not that I can play the game, as I possess no android devices.

Oolite Naval Attaché

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody

Thanks for that Cody. It gave me the perfect excuse to update my thread over on the Frontier Forum as some of the links had changed over the years.

ReplyQuote