Notifications
Clear all

Lord of Rigel: A New Master of Orion Project

LordofRigel
(@lordofrigel)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

6febaf4648b09c6ec8c17711858b1f.png

Lord of Rigel is a 4x (Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) in the fashion of classic games such as Master of Orion 2 and Civilization. Although there have been many recent efforts to re-invigorate the 4x genre, many of these games have intentionally or unintentionally emphasized certain gameplay aspects such as combat or the economy over providing a complete, balanced, space-opera strategy game experience. Our goal is to provide a accessible, yet deep, turn based strategy game.

We're developing it in the Unity engine, and our first release will be proof of concept demo showing off tactical combat and galaxy creation. 

This free release will coincide with the beginning of a crowdfunding campaign with the stated goal of releasing the next stage of development. We want to ensure that our supporters will get somewhat frequent updates.

Lord of Rigel, like its spiritual predecessor Master of Orion, is heavily based on scifi tropes. As such, each species represents a major trope in science fiction ex. the Katraxi fit with a warrior species archetype. Like the series that game before, this game is set in a loose enough setting that players can imagine specific conflicts that occur during their games being moments in some of their favorite space opera franchises.

What are some of the core features of Lord of Rigel?

• Turn based strategic play and tactical combat
  • Randomly generated Galaxies with a wide range of customizable
  • parameters
  • 10 Pre-set species with unique characteristics
  • Species customization
  • Minor species, including two Elder races waging a cold war
  • Rich technology tree ranging from lasers to artificial planets and dyson
  • spheres
  • Fully customizable space ships for waging war
  • Easy to grasp but deep economic system
  • Leaders, either mercenaries or from your empire, who are shaped by their successes and failures.
  • Diplomatic system that is simple, but has considerable depth
  • Several victory conditions including military, diplomatic, and research options.
  • Strategic resources that require unique strategies to acquire, hold, and exploit.

robske
(@robske)
Warrant Officer Registered

If you are gonna use, don't count on decent 64bit support any time soon.

A suggestion:

1. Have a look at how EU4 does manage the layout of factions. I myself like the concept of many small empires at the early game far more than a few bigger powers starting each in their corner of the galaxy. I think this can even be done as a way to set up the galaxy and at the same time without changing any core game mechanics.

For the rest, the general idea is interesting. Don't fix something which wasn't broken to begin with. A very good mentality.

I myself can code fairly well in C#, but am currently in no shape for coding due to bad health (also the reason why my personal project is at a total standstill right now).

ReplyQuote
LordofRigel
(@lordofrigel)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for your input Robske. Once we get close to finishing our design doc will post renders of our proposed UI for more than just the galaxy screen. We are also working on finishing our tech tree which is heavily based on Master of Orion 2, but adds in some gameplay changes that we think are necessary and adds some new toys for the player. Also good luck with your heath and hopefully you can get back to coding soon. 🙂

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

i like free orion

ReplyQuote