Notifications
Clear all

Oolite Review

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Hey Everyone

I am still playing this game and I will add more to this review over the next few days.

Oolite Homepage: http://oolite.org/index

Oolite Wiki: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Main_Page (Very Informative)

First off Oolite is a multi-platform GNU Elite style game. I download the latest released version 1.72.2 and you can get the most updated version via SVN. For some people that have been around a while or have played elite games via DosBox you will notice that Oolite sticks to what people remember from Elite.

Yes I know the first thing your going to say is that the graphics look so dated. Which is true but the developers and community members want this to be close to the original Elite series. But that's not saying you cannot improve your experience, since Oolite uses OpenGL and all models in the game can be re-textured and you can add your own. With my fresh install of Oolite I also installed some OXP files (mods for Oolite). Installed these for my first test run:

Famous_Planets v2.0

Realistic Shipyards v3.02b

System_Redux

Your Ad Here v4.0

Xaotik's Replacement Sounds

Huge library of OXP's can be found here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP

You play the game as Commander Jameson and start off on a station in the Lave system with 100 in cash and your trusty Corbra Mark III. There really isn't a story line to the game but the object is to get to the rating of Elite. You do this by doing missions, trading goods between stations and fighting Pirates and Thargoids.

Yes, I crashed and burned on my first docking. But I made the second one, and I cannot wait until I can get a docking computer 🙂 You can use the keyboard or joystick to fly/combat, and you cover long distances with your hyperdrive system. when docking with stations you might want to take notice to the buy/sell prices for goods so you can make a profit. And I cannot say this enough SAVE YOUR GAME when you dock. Because when you die you start from that last save and if you don't save you start from the beginning.

I have been spoiled over the years so I found the controls a bit tough to get used to but after two hours of playing I can usually dock without crashing and I do ok in combat. Great thing about Oolite that I have found is the community, everyone is more than happy to help you out and there wiki/forums have a huge amount of information to read to get you running around the universe in no time.

Here are some pics from the game:

[attachment=32:oolite-001.jpg][attachment=33:oolite-002.jpg][attachment=34:oolite-003.jpg][attachment=35:oolite-004.jpg][attachment=36:oolite-005.jpg][attachment=37:oolite-007.jpg]

If you were a fan of the elite games you will definitely need to check this out or if you are new to the Elite style games this is a good place to start. The game ran well on my system for 3+ hours without a hiccup at over 60fps. I will post more on Oolite over the next few days and feel free to comment and give advice.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Here is a nice video showing Oolite in action:

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Docking was the most difficult part of Elite. When I was playing the Amiga version, I cheated so I had the docking computers from the start. 😀 Is there any OXP that allows for a more convetional piloting method, more suited to joysticks/HOTAS?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
CaptainKal wrote:
Docking was the most difficult part of Elite. When I was playing the Amiga version, I cheated so I had the docking computers from the start. 😀 Is there any OXP that allows for a more convetional piloting method, more suited to joysticks/HOTAS?

I used a joystick in my playing and worked well. Didn't have a HOTAS but a little forum search says people are using them. It's really all about keyboard mapping. Might have to find a OXP for docking if there is one?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Here is some pics that show off some of the higher resolution models created by some community members. Some of these models you can use now by installing OXP's or what is coming in Oolite v1.73. With Oolite being very customizable you can change the ships, stations, missions, HUD, sounds, ship systems, races/government, planets and other items of interest.

[attachment=38:oolite-008.jpg]

[attachment=40:oolite-010.jpg]

[attachment=39:oolite-009.jpg]

[attachment=41:oolite-011.jpg]

[attachment=42:oolite-012.jpg]

[attachment=43:oolite-013.jpg]

[attachment=44:oolite-014.jpg]

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Hey that doesn't look bad at all, going to have to play that soon. Is this somewhat like Celestia?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Oolite has moved on a bit since the last time I looked at it, like the look of

the the new hi res models.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Where can we find these ships?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
CaptainKal wrote:

See this page Capt. http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP

Most of the OXP's are on there and if not just check some of the recent threads in their forums. But usually the files are on here. Look forward to your review on it when you play it Capt 🙂

ReplyQuote
DizietSma
(@dizietsma)
Petty Officer Registered

CaptainKal wrote:

The sexy looking hi-res ships are in expansion packs made by Griff. The relevant thread for tracking his work (at the time of writing this he has 8 ships and some misc objects to go before he has completed re-makes of all the core game ships) can be found here at the Oolite Forum.

An all-in-one OXP (Oolite eXpansion Pack) of the Griff ships can be obtained from my website, Dizzy's Oolite Downloads. It should be noted that this is a work in progress and additional ships will be added as they are completed/bugtested.

ReplyQuote
GUNSMIF
(@gunsmif)
Senior Chief Registered

OMG!!!! been sucked into the Oolite world for the last 48hrs. got the new V.1.73.4 up and going perfectly and can now add OXP modding files when ever i like, and its really easy now thanks to all the guys at http://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 062#100062 . I EVEN KNOW HOW TO HACK INTO THE CODE AND ADD AS MUCH CREDITS AS I LIKE AND ITS ALL SO SIMPLE. Not bad for a PC noob like me hey guys!!!! Any questions about how to get things up and running ill be glad to help and share what ive learned!!!!!!!!!!!!

answer to docking problems just start the game, make a save, come out of game, look on your hard drive for the oolite folder, double click it, find the saves file, double click, inside select the name that you saved under, and double click, right... you should be faced with (what was to me at 1st 😮 ) a load of code jargon. just look down the list of code until u see a docking computer bit with false in brackets n doofers, just delete false and add true...... and TA DA!!!! when you load up next time and start ur saved game you will magically have the docking computer!!!!

Way Hey! not bad eh!!?? you can also add credits by using the same method but be care full if your loaded with cash it kinda spoils the game!! 😎 😎 😎 😎

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

GUNSMIF wrote:
you will magically have the docking computer!!!!

Thats cheating 😆 😆 😆

But I will keep in mind 😀

ReplyQuote
GUNSMIF
(@gunsmif)
Senior Chief Registered

well it is but if you use it responsibly it can help us noobs get up and going. 😛

ReplyQuote
GUNSMIF
(@gunsmif)
Senior Chief Registered

Also this method works when you add a equipment oxp just save go into your save file and swap false to true under the desired bit of kit...... Love it. 😛

Ive now started a new game but not cheated (as much). Ive started with a 1000credits and a docking computer even though im now a dab hand at docking manually it just saves time. just get near enough to the station and press (shift & D) and it puts you straight in the station. if you find you've grown a bit soft with the `easy` modern games i suggest using this method as the difficulty of docking may put a lot of people off this corker of a game.

Another tip to speed travel up is download the Gates oxp, then instead of having to fly for 5 to 10 minutes to the station you enter the jump gate and it warps you to the station door step!

Fuel station oxp is also a must as not being able to after-burn around because of a drained fuel tank can get tedious.they're usually found just after jumping into a new system and its like a drive thru`. i do it just for the sake of it cos its fun 😀

anyhow like i said any one not too hot at all the file oxp baloney jargon (like i was) just leave me a post on here and ill try help you out! im no expert but can get you up and going and enjoying what is the Oolite master piece. i check in SSC once or twice a day now so you should get a reply soon enough. happy hunting/trading/pirating 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

You know this game with the oxp has more imagination and innovation than Egosoft have

managed to do in ten years with there business simulation.And it just fun to play,some thing

a lot of games developer should remember as well.

Every dev thinking about making one of these games should play Oolite as an good example as to

what these games are about,then they should play x3 as an example of how not to make one

of these games.

ReplyQuote