Notifications
Clear all

Rise: The Vieneo Project is back in development after 10 years!

reskin1
(@reskin1)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hey all! First I want to say how amazing it is to find all of these space game enthusiasts organized and participating in this community! Back when I started this project there was a lot less noise and a lot less content on the Internet so it was much easier to find what you were looking for.

I co-produced a game called Rise back in the early 2000's and it peaked in 2006 as we attempted to make it a commercial endeavor which ultimately led to its demise by 2008 because of a subscription-based model.

View from orbit!

During my hiatus, I developed a full-motion flight simulator based on the Dropship from the Aliens movie (1986) which was marketed for events and birthday parties but ultimately was shuttered because of insurance costs.

Now, 10 years later, the server has been upgraded and ported from C++ to C#.NET. The client has gotten a big face-lift. New vehicles have been added and the economy has never missed a beat with 70k+ NPC colonists doing the farming, mining, and manufacturing.

So we would love for you to try it out... knowing that some stuff was broken in the migration and features are in flux... but it is free to play and free to download, we are just trying to rebuild the community and looking for feedback, etc.

For those of you who have never heard of it, Vieneo is a moon that orbits a planet in a star system ~200 LY from Earth and takes place about 200 years in the future. FTL travel is possible but not very prevalent as it takes very large vessels (pronounced DIVE ships) to move things FTL. So the players don't go FTL. In fact, you start on the ground in the city with a car and have to work your way up to a truck, an aircraft, and then eventually an aerospace craft called the E-10.

E-10 and E-11 side by side

We are looking at the possibility of VR in the near future so anyone with experience or interest we would love to hear about other titles you might have played and what you liked and didn't like about the interface. We are looking at possibly starting new players in a simulator so they can fly right away but still have a progression path. You will find releases multiple times a week so we are really hitting our stride now.

Rise website

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I remember seeing this game online quite a while back, I never did give it a try back then I guess I was too busy playing other MMO's at the time and forgot about RISE. I will look over the website and figure out how to play the game. I downloaded an installed it but couldn't figure out what to do next so I will find time to do some reading 🙂

ReplyQuote
reskin1
(@reskin1)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

So our game design consultant says the tutorial should come last ... so eventually there will be pop-up help and maybe even a tutorial phase to help new players get started.

Basically, you start in an apartment with a car in the garage below. You can hop in the car easily enough but to get moving you have to hit "p" to start the engine and "l" to turn on the headlights (if it is dark out) and "*" or "/" to get it out of park into drive. If you are using a game controller the driving is pretty straight forward but if you are on keyboard you might want to just download:

http://rise.unistellar.com/images/c/ca/Keycard.pdf

Look for me online as "reskin"

ReplyQuote