Notifications
Clear all

Starfight Series

Page 1 / 2

Songbird
(@songbird)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Well, I ran a search here for the Indie "Starfight" series and, didn't find an entry. No site should be without at least a mention... or two. So, maybe you've bumped into the Starfight games before and played, forgot, or maybe perhaps not at all.

Enter the Finnish Indie Programmer/developer "JP-Productions". They've made a total of 6 games in the Starfight series. Most run in DOS- #5 will run in DOSBox and #6 will run in Windows.

Starfight 6 is a mix of fighting, trading, and adventuring, all in freeform mode. It's a bit dated as it was released in 2000- however, the latest patch on the site ports the game to OpenGL and it runs well on XP with SP2.

It's an odd mix of old-style point-and-click adventuring and first-person space-sim complete with cut-scenes and incongruous art-style direction... which can be how Indie Freeware titles go at times. Don't get me wrong- this game is a Herculean, 288 megabyte effort, and fun too.

Go indulge in some retro fun:

http://www.jpproduction.fi/games/

and a few screencapsingame1.jpg][attachment=89:fhc.jpg]

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Played around with 6 a few years ago,its a strange mix.IIRC had some problems getting out

of the adventure part and into the space part of the game.

ReplyQuote
Songbird
(@songbird)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Yeah, I know this game is not going to be everyone's favorite, but there is a walk-through posted here: http://sf6.jpproduction.fi/games/sf6/patches/

on this page. It's not always obvious just how to navigate through the point-n-click portions of the game. Also, since the player is dropped into to the middle of the game without knowing exactly what to do, this page: http://sf6.jpproduction.fi/games/sf6/quickguide/ offers a good briefing on what, how, and where to do things in the game.

Cheers 😉

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I was going to contact the devs to see if I can host the downloads for these and also package them all up with some instructions. I got V working in minutes with DosBox and pretty fun.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Just to let everyone know that the developer has given me permission to host the downloads so i will package these games up the best I can to make it very easy to get running so people can enjoy them 🙂

Give me a few days to get them done.

ReplyQuote
Mogymog
(@mogymog)
Petty Officer Registered

Can 6 run on Win7x64 under compability? Or, is it XP maxed only? .. due to it's installer not being all cool.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I'll know more when I test it. SF5 runs pretty good on DosBox on Win7

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Ok. Uploaded them to the download area.

StarFight V: Hell's Gate

StarFight VI: Gatekeepers

And yes SF6 ran on my Win7 install. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

Couldn't get the game (VI) to run despite tinkering with settings (Win XP, SP3). Got into the game menu, but could not save without crashing.

Stardreamer sad. 😥

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I will try to play it a bit tonight. All I know is that the game booted and watched the movies and I moved about my ship without issue on Win7. I will try to play longer this weekend.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Well played it SF6 no problem on Win7 64bit. Was able to save games and reload them no problems at all and gameplay worked well. Stardreamer make sure you are applying the patch and go into settings before the game start and set anything you think needs setting 🙂

SF6_1.jpg

SF6_2.jpg

SF6_3.jpg

SF6_4.jpg

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

Should you wish to know, I have ALL the starfight games (thank you jukka!) aside from SF2 which was discontinued... 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

SF4 is in a different language I know that for a fact and didn't upload that just because there is no english translation. But if you have the previous ones Starlord if you have a link for me i will download them and try to get them all working and provide instructions and upload them for all to enjoy. I asked Jukka if he had them and he didn't.

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

Really? WOW, I did good to preserve them when I could, although even though SF4 is polish only, you should just keep it also if you have the chance (as it's quite rare)... Perhaps in the future, a translation effort can be undertaken by fans...

In the meantime, I'll send you SF1,3 and 4 in a common archive (as I've explaned, SF2 has been discontinued)...

In exchange, could you please provide me with a way to contact jukka again (My previous computer has been lost along with his email) as I would like to se if anything can be salvaged from SF: comrades. It is unfortunate, but last time we talked, he said development had ceased... 😕

here's the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/367109046/s ... s.zip.html

Enjoy, from yours truly!

Also, I'm still in the process of gathering 4 remaining factor K copies: soon they'll be ready for sale! 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Yeah Jukka said he only had the code for SF4,5,6 so SF1,2,3 are lost forever unless people have them tucked away somewhere. I asked the same question about SF: Comrades and there is no plans to revisit this unfortunately 🙁

Here is a link you can contact him: http://www.jpproduction.fi/jpprod/contact/

Thanks for the link Starlord I will download this tonight and work on getting them packaged and running instructions. Unless you have some already on hand?

Thanks

-D1-

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

I'm afraid those files are all I have... Take care of those as they are very rare!

I was lucky to come across them...

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I was fiddling with SF1 last night trying to get it to work in DosBox and I think this will be a tough one to accomplish but I will put more time into it. If there is any DosBox experts out there at setting up config files, looks like I need to add some autoexec.bat and config.sys entries to get this thing to boot right but i will keep playing with it. I might just skip to SF3 and get that running then back to 1.

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

Send the files to jukka (with all my regards!) and tell him to help you: He's the creator of the games after all... 😉

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

any news yet dark one? are the files ok?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I downloaded the files ok just been having a hell of a time getting them to work with dosbox

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

Sure! Keep us informed on the outcome!

ReplyQuote
DeltaV
(@deltav)
Crewman Registered

I tried downloading Starfight VI from the downloads area...The download information says the file is aboug 190 megabytes but my download stops at 135 megabytes and winrar tells me the archive is damaged. I tried downloading again to no avail, it stops everytime at around 130 megabytes.

Is anyone else having this issue?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Tested the download at home and I was able to download the entire file which is 192MB+ and did it in a few minutes at 770kb a sec.

ReplyQuote
DeltaV
(@deltav)
Crewman Registered

Hmmm okay, must be something on my end then. I tried both my desktop and my laptop so I guess it could be a router/modem issue (DSL) .

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

Any successes with the old starfights?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2