Notifications
Clear all

So what mods do you reccomend?

Page 3 / 3

Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)
Warrant Officer Registered

If you want to play the campaign, then the easiest way is to just play the missions. Juni unlocks the Liberty gates at the end of Mission 2. In some mods you can get to Magellan via a jump hole in California -- it depends on the mod.

In both Discovery and Crossfire there are new trade routs, ships, equipment, and systems available immediately from inside Liberty. There is no need to unlock gates early.

That said, there are ways to do what you want. None are as easy (or fun), as just playing the mod:

> - Is it possible to play the original campaign without gate restrictions in Discovery or Crossfire?

In Single-Player (SP), yes. Any of your requests would get you quickly banned from the Multi-Player (MP) servers.

(You may have to work around the launchers, depending on the solution that you choose:

[*:39sut4ht]If you edit your saved game, then no workaround is required.

[*:39sut4ht]If you edit any of the INI files, then you may need to disable or disconnect your Internet connection to prevent some launchers from "updating" your INI files to match the server.

)

> - Is it possible to fly the "good" trade routes from vanilla in both mods or have they been modified too much?

Most mods change the economy substantially. That includes Discovery and Crossfire.

> - Is there any way (modded or unmodded) to play the original storyline without gate restrictions at all, so I could fly around and trade for a better ship earlier (Doesn't feel like cheating if you actually play for it 😉 )

In Crossfire, find the jump to Custodian (from New York). There are plenty of ships, weapons, and lucrative trading routes in and near New York.

> - If so, is there any way to play the original campaign with the graphics from Crossfire or one of the other great graphics mods?

Crossfire supports the campaign, as does Discovery Version 4.79 (the last version of Discovery to support the campaign).

> the only working save game editor only seems to work with win98 / 2000 / XP savegame directories

Which save game editor did you try? IonCross?

The Freelancer Simple Save Editor should work on any version of Windows and can open save games in any folder. You may need a tool such as FLDev to decode the hash numbers in the save game so that you know which gate is which.

ReplyQuote
zhokar
(@zhokar)
Crewman Registered

Hey,

thanks for all that info. Concerning the vanilla singleplayer, I am only allowed to move to California, Texas, New York, Colorado after mission 2. The Magellan gate is locked in both California and New York for me. Do you happen to know, how far into the campaign i would need to be for the HONSHU-YANAGI-BERLIN-MAINZ-HONSHU trade route?

And yes, I tried the IONCROSS editor.

Edit: Almost forgot - so is there a mod/.ini change that just lets me go where I want without changing anything else?

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

zhokar wrote:
I am only allowed to move to California, Texas, New York, Colorado after mission 2. The Magellan gate is locked in both California and New York for me. ...

And yes, I tried the IONCROSS editor.

Edit: Almost forgot - so is there a mod/.ini change that just lets me go where I want without changing anything else?

Right, the gates out of Liberty remain locked until the Flee from Liberty mission. However, the jump holes may not be locked. In vanilla I think there is a jump hole from California to Cortez or Magellan. The state of the jump holes (locked or not) varies between mods, so just give it a try.

Once you get out of Liberty, you can go anywhere in the game.

The IonCross editor makes unlocking the gates as simple as pushing a button. If you want to unlock the gates without using IonCross, you are going to have to work harder. It is possible, using the tools that I mentioned, but not straightforward.

Maybe the second-simplest solution, after IonCross, is to use the Freelancer Simple Save Editor to unlock all of the gates. Just delete the lines that say "locked_gate = ..."

PS: If you are headed to Honshu, then going through Colorado is the quickest route. The only reason to go through Magellan is if you want to buy a Dromedary along the way. You will have to hack your level with the Save Editor in order to buy a Dromedary.

(PPS: I would put the Simple Save Editor in the Download section here, but the button to Upload a File is missing again (sigh) ).

ReplyQuote
HunterKiller
(@hunterkiller)
Petty Officer Registered

Why not just do the Campaigns and then do the exploring? Once you find Ashcroft, (mission 3) you'll get the gate codes from Juni. No need to cheat the game. Even then, you'll still have to do missions for Juni before you're finished to be able to explore freely unless you get the Freelancer Mod Manager and find the No Story Mod to install. Geez. 🙄 Once you're done with the story, you're free to do whatever.

If you don't want to worry about any of that, find a 1.0 server that's laid back and you can trade to your hearts content and have someone to chat with and find out the best all around places to trade. MP is not so bad and there are some great, smooth running Vanilla servers out there.

Run Luxury Goods to Hawaii (sigma-19) then Artifacts back to NY.

By the way, Discovery RP 24/7 and CF aren't the only mods out there that have good trade routes and ease of game play. Disco is mainly RP and those that don't want to RP aren't really welcome if you're on the main server. However. there are some Disco servers that are really laid back but, they aren't the only mods out there that you can enjoy while trading. CF, not sure how they are about players not wanting to RP.

Sorry BW, but those aren't the only mods concerning Freelancer. Why not advertise for the whole of the Community?

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

HunterKiller wrote:
Sorry BW, but those aren't the only mods concerning Freelancer. Why not advertise for the whole of the Community?

I was just answering zhokar's questions. Advertisement has nothing to do with the conversation...

But I agree with your suggestions, of course.

😉

ReplyQuote
panzer225MAAZ
(@panzer225maaz)
Crewman Registered

panzer225MAAZ here-Of all the open single player mods for Freelancer my NUMBER ONE MOD is Rebalanced 3.55,very stable,you can actually play the mod without the universal cheat "perfoptions.ini" adjustments.Most mods,like Discovery 4.85,Phoenix 1.05,Crossfire 1.81,Frontierspace 1.75,Freelancer:The Next Generation 2.7.6 ,STILL HAVE ORIGINAL PARTS of Freelancer.Each have "special parts", but FALL SHORT!!!IT HAS EVERYTHING,BUT EVEN Rebalanced 3.55 has it's FAULTS!!!Rebalanced 3.55 has #1. Everything in each ship is CHANGE-ABLE!!!ENGINES,POWER PLANTS,SHIELDS,SHIELD CAPACITORS,FUSION INJECTORS,SHIELD SUPPORT GENERATORS,NANO-BOT and SHIELD BATTERY ENHANCERS,OVER SIX TYPES OF THRUSTERS,FOUR KINDS OF TRACTOR BEAMS!!!WEAPONS!!! GUNS and TURRETS in all SEVEN KINDS OF BEAM WEAPONS PLUS MASS DRIVERS!!!OVER THIRTY!! KINDS OF MISSILES!!!PLUS you ARE NOT left with ordinary torpedoes !SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TAKE A TORPEDO WARHEAD and ADD A CRUISE MISSILE ENGINE!!There are over 11 types of Torpedoes,from the original starslayer to Quantum Torpedoes,Some are SLOW as molasses,to 3 times faster then "normal cruise speed'!!Everything dropped in Battles IS SELL ABLE !!! IT'S very easy to make money!! The only problems with Rebalanced 3.55 is #1.the level-price change is STILL ORIGINAL FREELANCER!! Which means you can increase to the next level in battle,make a quick trade deal,etc.,etc.! #2. they STILL have trouble with TURRETS!! You CAN mount a NOMAD BATTLESHIP TURRET on a Patriot MK 2a fighter,which IS ABOUT 10 TIMES BIGGER THAN THE SHIP ITSELF!! AND STORE 3 EXTRA TURRETS ON BOARD!!!

ReplyQuote
HunterKiller
(@hunterkiller)
Petty Officer Registered

Try this one and I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.

freelancer-f22/the-underverse-mod-t1394.html

ReplyQuote
Skox
 Skox
(@skox)
Crewman Registered

I highly recommend this mod: http://discoveryfl.com/

Forum site http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php

One thing you have to have on mind if you want to play this Mod : This is RP server , with strict rules. My suggestion is that you read that rules on forum . If you are interested , join and have tons and tons of fun , if you can log on ... usually server is full ! 😀

ReplyQuote
numidianian
(@numidianian)
Petty Officer Registered

Well, I didn't actually played it and don't like any mods in general, but this sounds promising: Return to Earth mode.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes I saw that, but there has been no recent news about it. I wonder if any progress was made in the meantime?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Probably dead but it sounded very promising.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3