25 Years Of The Ami...

Notifications
Clear all

25 Years Of The Amiga now 30

Page 6 / 6

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

In my local charity shop they had....a....a....filthy......Atari 520 STFM. I thought at the time, I will think about it. 3 days later it was gone. Perhaps it was for the best.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Maybe they binned it.

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Anyone got a Gotek drive for the Amiga?.

Just been looking at them on eBay, and was wondering what the difference is between this and a card drive.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

So I finally bought one two years later 🤣 and I'm pretty pleased I did, in fact I'm going to get another for the A500. I will need to get some sort of 3d printed stand for the A500 and as I got one with the knob on it, it looks like I will have to cut the A1200 case or maybe take it out of the Gotek case as may fit in better.

One thing I would like to add to the A500 is a hard drive but most of the solution for adding a card drive also come with extra memory and accelerator which I don't really want. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Been looking at this Pistorm, might be a solution for my A500 hard drive, my Gotek adventure continues as I have decided not to cut the A1200 case and have ordered an internal one, still waiting for it to show up.

Also ordered a cable which can be used to turn the Gotek into a DF1 drive instead of the usual DF0 

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

I 'm in a process of restoring/upgrading my old CD32. New powerpack, laser module, recapp, a Terrible Fire 328 accelerator, and I will turn it into a full fledged 68020 Amiga!! I plan to install some 3D games to it!!!

Pinback and Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @captainkal

I 'm in a process of restoring/upgrading my old CD32. New powerpack, laser module, recapp, a Terrible Fire 328 accelerator, and I will turn it into a full fledged 68020 Amiga!! I plan to install some 3D games to it!!!

Nice 👍 

I just realised that their is a new version of Workbench, 3.2 which confused the hell out of me as the last one I bought was 3.9, but it appears this is a rewrite as they longer have the rights to 3.5/3.9.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Finally got the internal Gotek for the A1200 which's is just a board on a 3D printed stand, also has a breakout VDU which is supposed to fit through the vents at the top of A1200 case, problem is they don't without stripping the wires or cutting the vents.

Also you have to use a pen or matchstick to press the buttons as they are pretty much flush with the side of the case, no nob on this one.

Back with the A500 and I'm going to the case Gotek as an external drive, hence the cable, works great on the A1200 but forgot you can't boot from an external drive on the A500 without some sort switcher installed in it.

This is turning into a marathon.  🤣  

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

This is turning into a marathon.  🤣  

This is always the case, when you are in the process of restoring a beloved retro machine!!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

This is turning into a marathon.  🤣  

This is always the case, when you are in the process of restoring a beloved retro machine!!!

Very true 😀 sometimes thing I would be better off using an emulator.

How's that CD32 coming along CaptainKal.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

@pinback I think that I will have to get the laser module replaced and the motherboard recapped!! It's going to take a little time!!!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Now this is interesting, makes me want to buy a soldering iron, but who knows what disaster would follow on from that. 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @pinback

makes me want to buy a soldering iron, but who knows what disaster would follow on from that.

<sniggers> Good grief, it's been yonks since I last wielded a soldering iron!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I always find it a problem with watching stuff on YouTube, as they tend to make it easier than it really is.  

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

A small tale of two cables for a 1084s monitor which look the same but are not the same, my old cable works perfect with the A1200 the new one would not and on closer inspection I could see nothing wrong with it.

Bollocks I thought I've been ripped off with a non working cable but in a last bid of desperation I tried the A500 with it and you guessed it, works perfectly. 

I will put this down to one of life's little mysteries or some one modded the old one.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I see in the news that they going to release a maxi of the mini Amiga that was released a while ago. 😎 😎 

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

@pinback I bought and installed a Pistorm32 lite with a Pi3B, in my A1200!!! It's like having my dream Amiga, come true!!!!  Fast CPU and an RTG, all in one package!!! 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

@pinback I bought and installed a Pistorm32 lite with a Pi3B, in my A1200!!! It's like having my dream Amiga, come true!!!!  Fast CPU and an RTG, all in one package!!! 

Will have to check it out as I'm bit out of date with what has been happing on the Amiga hardware front.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6