Notifications
Clear all

Audible scifi suggestions ?

SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

Hey guys.

I was thinking that I would change a bit what i listed when I'm at the pc. Usually I just connect to an online radio and keep at it but now i'd like to try and listen to some audible scifi books. Do you happen to have any suggestions for some really good ones involving spaceships, space combat and space exploration ? 

Cheers

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I don't know about audio books, as such - but you could listen to some classic radio sci-fi. There are some real gems to be found on there (and on its other pages). I especially like The Green Hills of Earth by Heinlein (found in this list) - it's a great tale.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered
Topic starter  

Hey Cody, cheers for the heads up on that classic radio, I listed to quite a few of those things 🙂  The audio books from Audible are pretty much the same thing, it's just that the stories are newer, from all kinds of authors and the sound quality is better. 

I have to say it is really great to listen to someone telling a story while I work at the computer, it almost pulls me into that story world. Yesterday I worked for like 14 hours and I didn't even realize until I saw it was 2AM, did more work than I usually do in a week. So I think I stumbled upon something great here :))) Besides, this also helps me get better at english as well, I hope. The offer still stands, if anyone has some good suggestions for other audio books, please let me know.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

It's a shame that the BBC Radio archive is mostly unavailable - they've made some great sci-fi radio dramas.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I like listening to this type of stuff at work and in my car during my commute, makes the time go by just a little bit quicker. I have listen to a few of the Princess of Mars books and they are quite good and entertaining, its a shame they didn't make the John Carter movie just like the book I think it would have done better, still a decent movie, but the book is so much better.

Try this as well:

https://librivox.org/search?primary_key=30&search_category=genre&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

ReplyQuote
Locke
(@locke)
Petty Officer Registered

I love audible. Like sscadmin, I listen to them on the drive to and from work.

If you haven't read Enders Game, or the books following it - Enders Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon...etc. I highly recommend those books if you like sci-fi.

For space exploration, go for the Star Force series by B.V. Larson. The series is awesome.

Another good one, but short is "The Martian" by Andy Weir. It's very hard to stop listening to it.

Also - Your 3D models are pretty awesome! Great work!

ReplyQuote
Thargoid
(@thargoid)
Senior Chief Registered

There is a whole range of Elite:Dangerous fiction including my own title which is coming out in audio format.  It can be pre-purchased from our publisher's webstore, with an expected delivery around Christmas.

The link to the webstore is:  https://www.fantasticbookspublishing.com/store/

Cheers,

John

ReplyQuote