Virtual Reality ......

Notifications
Clear all

Virtual Reality ... (general, news, ...)

MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Will Orion Make Virtual Reality Truly Immersive?

Virtual reality is more immersive if you can use your hands inside it, at least that's what Leap Motion is banking on with Orion. 

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/will-orion-make-virtual-reality-truly-immersive/

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlCGw-0R8g[/media]

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Will depend on the price and at the moment they are all pricing themselves out of the market.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Definitely some cool tech these devs are working on but as Pinback stated they have to get the price down for the average gamer to get these into the home. Personally I think its still going to be a few more years until I have one of these, because just watching that demo I look at all the interaction you have to do with hands and head and your playing something very simplistic. How will gameplay be when playing something more complex or fast paced, I think my gaming sessions will definitely not go over 30-60mins because I will get tired of holding my hands up or out 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Sony announced the price of their headset which I think was $350 although they have also have a bundle, PS4, camera and headset for $500 http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/18/sony-taking-pre-orders-for-500-playstation-vr-bundle.aspx

Also saw that AMD and some one else have announced new head set, so it looks like their are a number of these VR headset coming and as usual we will end up with not the best but the one who gets the price right.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

(Renamed topic to be more general VR related.)

Although VR on (some) smart phones is not new. Google seems to be paving the way for even more of them.
(allaboutcircuits) Google’s Daydream Is Taking the Extra Step in VR Design"

I wonder. Will we see permanent VR-headset pedestrians, when they add a second camera on the back of those VR-phones, so you can look where your going ... while wearing it.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

General rundown on some recent VR-news.

ItPro - HTC Vive vs Oculus Rift vs PlayStation VR: ...
http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hardware/25186/..

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Think I might wait a year or two before I drop money on this VR stuff just because there will be a champion in all of this at some point and if your going to drop the coin on one you might as well get the most supported VR device so you least know you will have support and titles for a while. I mean in the end I think the Oculus will win just because it has Facebook money behind it.

But I definitely like where the tech is going in most aspects.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I see that the PS4 VR system is out now, I might go down this road but I going to wait to see what the upgraded PS4 is like and what the price is like for both it and the VR headset. 

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I see that the PS4 VR system is out now, I might go down this road but I going to wait to see what the upgraded PS4 is like and what the price is like for both it and the VR headset. 

If you find some interesting articles/review (for or against) about the PS4 VR, don't hesitate to drop them in here.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

The reviews of it seem to be pretty good, although their are some negative comments about screen res when compared to the PC devices.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

their are some negative comments about screen res when compared to the PC devices.

Are we talking here compared to same priced VR for PC systems ?

Compared to the more pricey PC VR, I think a lower resolution is more or less to be expected.

Implemented resolution might also be related to the fact that the PS4-VR still would need to be usable (to some degree I guess) on the basic PS4 system. 

PS4 Pro: Release date, news and features of the new PlayStation 4, Oct 21 2016 )

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Personally I think its still going to be a few more years until I have one of these, because just watching that demo I look at all the interaction you have to do with hands and head and your playing something very simplistic. How will gameplay be when playing something more complex or fast paced, I think my gaming sessions will definitely not go over 30-60mins because I will get tired of holding my hands up or out

Playstation move and microsoft kinect dimonstrated that playing with body motion isn't so funny for the hardcore gamer. First of all there is a really big problem about precision, but even without this gaming is a matter of concentration and relaxation. Moving hands or body a lot is tiring and the concentration goes down.

When i play i want only to stay on my couch with my pad completely relaxated or on chair with the joystick if i'm playing a space sim....i don't want to stay up moving around like an idiot.

VR will be the future but controllers should have a better development to ensure a really funny gaming.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looks like Microsoft is getting with a VR headset http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/26/13416930/microsoft-hololens-vr-mr-ar

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered

VR today and your private Holodeck tomorrow? I saw a funny documentation about riding a horse in a holodeck and  - it's possible, but still the mechanical machinery (including some sort of improved 3D printer) and the room and energy needed would be exuberantly expensive...oh..only for riding that horse of course, and nothing else except walking or similar simple movements of your own...

XenonS

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

I still havn't met anyone in real life who has VR. It isn't practical for people with children, or people who don't have great jobs. Surprisingly, most of my friends say that the act of pausing a video game to deal with screaming crying children is a pain, then they ask me how they are supposed to get a big headset off.

😛

Its certainly fun to dream about, but unless I retire about 20 years early, I don't see much practical use for em. Kind of like Joysticks. Most people dont really want to pull it out for one or two games.

I'm a little surprised there are so many coming out. Especially with the key factor.

Most of the games are novelties. I've seen like one serious shooter thing, and it was like 5-6 hours.

ReplyQuote