Dark GDK (Microsoft...

Notifications
Clear all

Dark GDK (Microsoft VC++ 2008)

Derelict
(@derelict)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hey, whilst scouring the internet I found a pretty cool engine that you guys might like to try. It must be installed on Microsoft VC++ 2008.

It's called the Dark Game Development Kit, I've only had a few hours messing about on it but it has a lot of potential.

Here is a link to the download, it's free ;] The coding is very simple, and there is a lot of documentation on the darkgdk wiki.

Demo Video 🙂

MPL3D
(@mpl3d)
Petty Officer Registered

We use DGDK for most of our 3D projects.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I haven't checked this out yet, but is there any tutorials on making a basic space scene and things like that?

ReplyQuote
Onionman77
(@onionman77)
Master Chief Registered

I used Dark Basic back in the day, and liked it a lot. It's a great tool if you aren't comfortable dealing with DirectX directly.

Anymore though, I'd almost say just use Unity3D if you're planning on starting a project from scratch, although I do like supporting people programming in C++ with Visual Studio, what a great toolset!

ReplyQuote
MPL3D
(@mpl3d)
Petty Officer Registered

Quote:
is there any tutorials on making a basic space scene and things like that?

Not as such, but there is great community with people that helps out here and there whenever they can. Lots of basic stuff and code snippets.

Quote:
I used Dark Basic back in the day, and liked it a lot. It's a great tool if you aren't comfortable dealing with DirectX directly.

I must agree. Dark Basic (commonly DBPro) is the basic language version of the Dark Game Development Kit (DGDK), the C/C++ version. Dark Basic has many tools and plugins available, and people has published very profesional games with it, like the Evochron series: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/index.htm (Check it out!) It even includes advanced planetary approach techniques.

You don't need to know pure DirectX programming, it is a high level set of functions. DGDK is the C++ version, that allowed me to get closer to the machine, to use accurate math calculations for the simulation, speed them up with C flavour, and other thinks like that.

It was my choice in the moment. Nowadays I ponder Unity3D for future projects, of shorter scope. There are incredible sets ready to start out of the box, like the fantastic Space Graphics Toolkit: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/147954-Space-Graphics-Toolkit-RELEASED

ReplyQuote