Space Above and Bey...

Notifications
Clear all

Space Above and Beyond a Battle of Endor Mod (Help)

Blackwood
(@blackwood)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi all

Anyone remember the short lived 1995/96 tv series "Space Above & Beyond"?, I think it was also known as Space : 2063, it has been a long time desire of mine to create a space combat simulator based on the series.

Not being a 3D modeller my attempts have been frustrated over the years, while i've had some minor success in manipulating some 3D models using TrueSpace, building a true 3D model from scratch is sadly just beyond my abilities.

There are some free S:AAB models available on the net in nif & 3Ds max versions, however I'm not able to convert them to .x files which The Battle of Endor by Bruno R. Marcos requires.

Are there any generous souls out there who would be willing to donate some time to converting those files over for me?

Another wild thought I've had, which someone else will have to take up the reigns of the project is to create a full free MMOG of S:AAB the game would fall somewhere between BSG online & Startrek online, combining elements of both, I'm a past BSG Beta Tester & current Startrek online player, BSG can be too simplistic & gets old fast, where as STO can be too complex in it's bewildering amounts of crafting, research, Character classes, ship, weapon types etc

the S:AAB universe lends itself nicely to such a platform with just 3 factions, Humans, AI's & Chigs (Aliens), with the AI's ability to cross between factions as Mercenaries.

I'd be happy to expand on that if anyone cares to listen.

cheers

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi Blackwood

Firstly welcome to the forum. Now to your question, have you had a look on Flightsim.com ?

If memory serves me right, there was an excellent free Hammerhead model on there for FS9. Would that be of any use to you?

Thinking back (it has been a while)  it might also have been on Avsim too, but I am not sure.

In any case, good luck with your project.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Remember the series well, great shame they only made one season of it.

Can't remember if Blender can import 3ds files then save them out in X format.

Their also a very good shareware program that can convert models to different format that many games use, unfortunately I can't remember the name of it at the moment.

Finally remembered the name of it 3D object converter (obversely really) http://3dconverter.webege.com/

ReplyQuote
Blackwood
(@blackwood)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

lol, I'm awful, i forgot I even posted this request here, anyway thanks for your replies, i actually DL'd Blender, what an awesome bit of software, it took me a bit of time to get used to the interface controls but once i got a handle on it, I took to it like a duck to water, i started mdififying a ship to act as the SCV Macarthur a Cargo Transport from S:AAB, over a weekend, however I  believe i now have the speed & skill level involved to actually make the SCV Macarthur from scratch, yeah the program is that good even for a dummy like me 😀

I also found a program "Lithunwrap" which can convert between different 3D formnats & even correts errors.

I have very nearly all the Ships featured in the original show except for an Earth Forces "Frigate" &/or  "corvette" which someone actually crafted for a HomeWorld 2 Mod, so now i am just hunting for those 2 ships, anything else I'll make myself.

cheers

ReplyQuote