Notifications
Clear all

Issues with this game...

Shant
(@shant)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Wondering if anyone has experienced this issue besides me and perhaps knows what to do about it. The game installs and plays fine, but when I pause it the menu 'flickers' and I can't see anything other than Cal's head spinning around. Anybody seen or heard about something like this? I've tried switching up all my graphics card options, nothing affects it. It's not only the pause menu btw, it's also the title screen.

As an aside, is there anything in the pause menu/options that I really need access to? When I first saw this issue I was worried that I wouldn't be able to play the game. Normally I need to at least play around with the controller options in space sims, this game by pure luck happened to be the only exception where everything seems to play like it should and my xbox 360 controller works like it should. Still, I can't help but wonder if there's anything in the pause menu or title screen I should have access to that I don't know about...

Shingen
(@shingen)
Master Chief Registered

Shant wrote:
Wondering if anyone has experienced this issue besides me and perhaps knows what to do about it. The game installs and plays fine, but when I pause it the menu 'flickers' and I can't see anything other than Cal's head spinning around. Anybody seen or heard about something like this? I've tried switching up all my graphics card options, nothing affects it. It's not only the pause menu btw, it's also the title screen.

hmm.. well did u install the F14.6 update and the Jackson Yard patch?

Also, what video card are you using?

DirectX version?

Are you using any anti-virus software running in the background?

What are you system specs?

Have you tried turning off the Anisotropic filtering?

Quote:
As an aside, is there anything in the pause menu/options that I really need access to? When I first saw this issue I was worried that I wouldn't be able to play the game. Normally I need to at least play around with the controller options in space sims, this game by pure luck happened to be the only exception where everything seems to play like it should and my xbox 360 controller works like it should. Still, I can't help but wonder if there's anything in the pause menu or title screen I should have access to that I don't know about...

All of the controller options/defines are in the flux.ini file located in your install directory of Iwar2.

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Topic starter  

I've got a brand new system I just built several months ago. Dual radeon 4850s, running this game on WinXP (I've got a dual boot with Vista on the other, maybe I'll try installing it in Vista to see if that changes anything). DIrectx on XP is 9.0c. No antivirus or anything that might be competing in the background. I turn off every process other than the bare minimum, only have about 20 processes running in the background. Installed the 14.6 patch, but not the Jackson Yard patch (what's this?).

Haven't tried antistropic filtering, how do I get to it?

ReplyQuote
Shingen
(@shingen)
Master Chief Registered

The Jackson Yard patch fixes a bug in the original game.. you won't be able to finish the game without it. You can grab it off here.

As far as your kit, IDK if Iwar2 will even run under vista, but you can try it. The antistropic filtering can be set in the options menu of the game, or set by your Graphics Card software manager.

I don't know if this game will run with dual cards or not.. that might be your problem. This is a 1998 game, so it's made for a 450mhz - PIII system.

Are u using dual monitors as well?

I guess if you can still play the game, I wouldn't worry about it. 😎

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Topic starter  

Nah single monitors. I don't think the dual cards even factor into the equation though, as directx 9 doesn't allow for it so as far as the system is concerned, when a game is being played it's running off of one card.

I know the antistropic filtering is in the options menu, under the graphics settings. The problem is I can't see those options. I have to know how to navigate to it 'blind' to find it. I've figured out how to get to the graphics settings in the options, but from there is the problem. I wonder if there are any screenshots of the graphics menu screen...

ReplyQuote
Shingen
(@shingen)
Master Chief Registered

You can also edit all of your graphics options from within the flux.ini file using a good text editor like notepad++.

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Topic starter  

Well I just tried changing the antistropic filtering from off to on, no change. Can't believe I'm the only dude who's run into this issue, but then again it's par for the course for me. Always running into this stuff. That's why I love my consoles. No space sims on ps3/360 unfortunately. Well, there was project Sylpheed...that was awesome.

ReplyQuote
Shingen
(@shingen)
Master Chief Registered

I would prolly think you are having issues with you video card drivers.. not much I can do there.

ReplyQuote