Notifications
Clear all

Found this site by chance

Frezzno
(@frezzno)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Google is just great. I searched for elite first encounter and found this site via FrontierAstro. I know I remembered the title wrong but google corrected it. Games just comes and goes for me. Play for a while and forget. Since C64 and Amiga era, I just feel that all games nowadays are the same or similar, just with different or better graphics. But one game stood out for me, the Elite series. I played it a lot on the C64. Then I played Frontier on the Amiga. But my favorite is Frontier First Encounters. Back then I could only acquire the floppy version for the DOS. I live in Sweden and things advance slow here, even today. It was later at my late 30s that I found the CD version of First Encounter on ebay that I really played. I went to great length to build a classic PC with external synth and all to get the full experience. The PC performed worse and was more expensive then the lates PC at that time. My friends called me mad. But I could play First encounter with the best sound and performance ever. Man those were the days... Today, thanks to this website, I'm just gonna go with the FFED3D on my laptop. Just manage to download all necessary files and it just looks amazing. Excellent work. Thank you.

Sorry for the long introduction but I also need to say that I still have the original boxes of both floppy and CD version of Frontier First Encounter.

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Welcome aboard, amigo!

Frontier Astro iis a worthy site, and there are a few old Elite heads hanging out here.

Oolite Naval Attaché

Frezzno liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Welcome to the forums Frezzon.

Still got my original copy's of Elite and Frontier, never played first encounter when come out as I was still using the Amiga and the Amiga version was binned.

Played FFED3D but not recently and thinking about it, OMG is it really 12+ years since it come out. 😯 

Frezzno liked
ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @frezzno

I just feel that all games nowadays are the same or similar, just with different or better graphics

And I feel that you are entirely correct in thinking so!

Welcome to the station Frezzno

This post was modified 4 years ago by Gaius Konstantine

Frezzno liked
ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Welcome to SSC @frezzno

I will admit I am still kicking myself for getting rid of some of my older hardware (C64, Amiga 500 and the games that went with them) luckily there is emulators out there and I can still experience some of my childhood games from time-to-time. For the most part you are right, a lot of the space games or just games in general are rinse and repeat with better tech. I will say even though I am irritated it isn't done yet but Star Citizen is really doing some great things and changing out thoughts on a space game and same with Elite with the upcoming/future patches. All we can do is wait and see.

Frezzno liked
ReplyQuote
Crux 72
(@crux_72)
Senior Chief Registered

Hello together!

Okay then... I also would like to introduce myself quickly and briefly 🙂 

I also landed here a few days ago, like @Frezzno I was looking for ELITE FIRST ENCOUNTERS and came here via FrontierAstro.

I never really played EFE myself in the past, instead I grew up with the X-series. I only came to Elite in 2014, when Elite: Dangerous was just leaving the alpha phase behind. Why was I drawn to EFE just now? Well, I don't find the same fulfilment in the newer games that I used to, when you had to work for something and the game didn't give you everything straight away. The X-series has become an insta-reward-fest and Elite Dangerous... well... it doesn't have much to do with 'Elite' anymore. And that's when EFE came to mind again. 

Ironically, this brought me to another game I didn't know: Pioneer! Well... and now I'm here. Pioneer has really pulled me in and I still have to decide whether it will be Pioneer or EFE, but either way - here I am!

o7

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @crux_72

Elite Dangerous... well... it doesn't have much to do with 'Elite' anymore.

<grins> That depends on what you mean by Elite. One could say FFE doesn't have much to do with Elite.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Crux 72
(@crux_72)
Senior Chief Registered

@cody

Well... wasn't ELITE about having to work your way up and subsequently be 'proud' of your achievements?

ED is a good game, no question, and I enjoy it too... but it's not challenging - at all... I mean; it took me a dozen tries in FFE to even get the ship from A to B.... and in Pioneer it took me even longer to get to grips with the relative speeds... 😆 

ReplyQuote
Frezzno
(@frezzno)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

@crux_72

Hehe I've played Pioneer too. Great game indeed. Now I need to dig up Pioneer.

ReplyQuote