Notifications
Clear all

Greeting from the collective

codemachineman
(@codemachineman)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hello to all. 

I came to this place to find some inspiration and boy did I find some! Awesome site.

I've been noodling away for the past 6 months on a space sim in the Unity engine. The goals was to make a space sim that was reasonably to scale on the solar system level. I've definitely met that goal and now I want to grow this into something bigger and better.  

When it comes to modeling my skills are somewhat primitive (rim shot) but I believe the framework that is here can support some pretty fantastic stuff. 

I'm much better when it comes to coding so I was hoping to find some people who would like to get involved with this project. Crowd funding is definitely going help our chance of success.

I wrote the code in a way that makes in very easy and natural to design vessels, space stations, planets, gas giants and stars. All planets can be landed on, all gas giants are volumetric. Newtonian physics is in full effect of course and gravity's range is not limited so it is possible to have Lagrangian points.

Huge fan of Bridge Commander so expanding on that idea vessels and stations would will have interiors that can be explored and you would be able to board others ships.  That's the vision anyways. If you have any questions get in touch with me. I would love to discuss an ideas you have.

I have a ton of ideas on where to take this. 

SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Welcome to the community mate. If it helps your game and if it fits with your style then please feel free to use any of my models:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5d0715049236d05b&id=5D0715049236D05B%21113

ReplyQuote
codemachineman
(@codemachineman)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Welcome to the community mate. If it helps your game and if it fits with your style then please feel free to use any of my models:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5d0715049236d05b&id=5D0715049236D05B%21113

Definitely does help. Thanks a ton mate. These models are fantastic. There's enough here to keep me busy for a while. I like the style too. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Welcome to the forums Codemachineman.

Looking good from the pics 😎 have you done any video of the game yet?.

ReplyQuote
codemachineman
(@codemachineman)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I just whipped a couple up. Hope you like. It's just video of me messing around in a prototype build but I think it will get the idea across. I used one of Time bandit's stations models in the first vid.

[media]

[media]

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Warrant Officer Registered

Interesting; and I like the art  😎

• Do you plan to continue your development on Unity, or will you switch on an homegrown engine ?
  • How do you manage physics/flight model/collision ?

ReplyQuote
codemachineman
(@codemachineman)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Interesting; and I like the art  😎

• Do you plan to continue your development on Unity, or will you switch on an homegrown engine ?
  • How do you manage physics/flight model/collision ?

So far Unity is the best option for me. For a couple of reason.

1. I like the scripting system. It's very powerful.

2. Asset bundles make it possible to load anything at run time from an online cache. That means user created content and the possibility of persistent worlds.

For physics I used a combination of my own code and unity's native physics. Collisions are handled by unity.  It work on two levels, Unity is used to calculate physics behavior from a local inertial frame and the sub layer tracks your position in the solar system at large.

I have not yet included equations flight models. But I do plan on adding them at some point in the near future.

ReplyQuote