Notifications
Clear all

Also get access to over 60 free games in their trove of games, get 20 precent off all purchases and you can stop the subscription at anytime and keep all the games

Greetings and....help an old guy playing games with FUEL in PIONEER  

RSS

alceazzurra
(@alceazzurra)
Crewman Registered
September 22, 2020 11:23  

Hi all,

I'm an old time and old (in terms of bio age... 😥 ) aficionado of Frontier Elite 2 and I sometimes still play Elite: dangerous on my nephew's PS4 😊 

I tried to search some guides and browse the forum before asking, but I am stuck with a question on fuel....

I downloaded PIONEER to play it more frequently on my OLD laptop and it runs! 
I was superhappy to get a first mission from Mars to deliver a package to Mexico City ("same system, no hyperdrive" I thought).

So I did a (sturdy) take off and tried to get used to Pioneers command and launched my ship towards mexico city selectingas a destination with my FULL fuel tank....I accelerated and was getting closer to the destination but all of a sudden I stopped.

I though my laptop was hanging, but... no fuel!!!! And I was SO FAR from Mexico City!

What am I doing wrong?

How do I calculate how much fuel I need and how can I fly in "same system" short trips (no hyperdrive then, right?) efficiently?

Would you help an old (and pathetic! 😥 ) newbie to feel a bit younger by travelling in space?

PS: yes, you can laugh at me 🙂

Thanks!

Alce

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Moderator
September 22, 2020 11:33  

Welcome to the forums Alceazzurra.

Lot of us old space dogs here 😀 can't remember anything about Pioneer as I not played it in ages but someone should be able to give you some pointer on it.

ReplyQuote
alceazzurra
(@alceazzurra)
Crewman Registered
September 22, 2020 11:36  

@pinback

thanks for the welcome Pinback!

Nice to hear I am not the only old dog, but ... with that fuel thing I feel as the oldest newbie on earth! 😛

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
September 22, 2020 11:58  

I know zilch about Pioneer. I'm an old Elite head who plays Oolite.

Welcome to SSC, amigo - now get off my lawn!

Give me five, I'm still alive
Ain't no luck, I learned to duck

ReplyQuote
alceazzurra
(@alceazzurra)
Crewman Registered
September 22, 2020 12:11  

@cody

Thanks for your "welcome" message, while I move off your lawn...one question:
I was uncertain about going for the Oolite or the Pioneer way.

On top of newtonian flight on Pioneer, what are the main differences between the two games and why did you choose Oolite, if I can dare to ask (while I move off your lawn, by the way! 🙂 )

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
September 22, 2020 12:21  
Posted by: @alceazzurra

why did you choose Oolite

I suppose it goes back to '84 and the original BBC Elite. That grabbed me, but FEII didn't.

Oolite does a very good job of recreating the 'feel' of Elite, but with 'modern' graphics.

Give me five, I'm still alive
Ain't no luck, I learned to duck

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
September 22, 2020 15:32  

Hi alceazzurra. Welcome to the SSC! Did you buy fuel before you took off? In many ways Pioneer plays very much like Elite 2.

Here is a handy tutorial video that should take you through the basics.

ReplyQuote
alceazzurra
(@alceazzurra)
Crewman Registered
September 23, 2020 03:38  

@geraldine

Hi Geraldine, 

thank you! I did buy 100% fuel. I've seen the tutorial you shared (thank you) but that's not my kind of problem.

Let me try to explain it better

- Start from Mars (Sol System) with full fuel tank

- Take a mission to deliver a package to a docking station next to Jupiter (Sol System), no additional cargo weight

- Launch from station, target the arrival docking station and activate autopilot (landing gear up of course 🙂 )

- Being within same system (Sol), no hyperspace, just ordinary flight

- Run out of fuel

- Game over

What am I doing wrong? How can I get from Mars to Jupiter with my fuel only?

Thanks and....be patient with an old guy!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
September 23, 2020 04:23  

@alceazzurra

That is very strange. You should be able to reach Jupiter easily with the fuel you have. It could be a bug in the build you are using. Perhaps your ship is burning through fuel much faster than it ought to. If so, then it might be best to report it on the Pioneer dev site. You can find that here. I suggest the dev forum because they can react faster if you explain your problem directly to them.

Also, try a different starting position with a different ship. Does that make any difference?

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
alceazzurra
(@alceazzurra)
Crewman Registered
September 23, 2020 06:18  

@geraldine

Hi Geraldine,

thanks for coming back. I am under the impression it is ME doing something wrong.

Probably I am not behaving correctly....is there a way I can record a video to show you so that you can tell me what I do wrong?

my BUILD should be 20200203

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by alceazzurra

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
September 23, 2020 09:33  

@alceazzurra

Ok, I think I've found the problem. The dev team have moved the autopilot function away from where it was. Once you take off, click the set speed icon on the lower right to hold your altitude. Next, click on the icon on the top right and use the icons within this new window that opens to find the base you want to head for and left click on it to lock it as your target. Then right click on this base to bring up a selection wheel and pick either fly to vicinity or dock with station. After that the autopilot should take over and fly you there safely with loads of fuel left. Admittedly, this is quite a change from how things worked in Elite 2. I usually use a much older build to fly Pioneer with so never noticed this change. The older builds are very much closer in operation to Elite 2. You can find a whole load of those here. Try them until you find one with the familiar Elite 2 icons along the bottom. I think anything from 2017 or before should have that setup, shown below. Right away you will feel at home. 😉 

Lancaster Colony By Shodan

As a another suggestion, you could try Walterar's Pioneer Scout Plus. This was a special edition of the game customised by him. You can find it in the SSC download area here.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Share: