Notifications
Clear all

Greetings Commanders

PaulFoster
(@paulfoster)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

I'm Steve from England (yes, I know my avatar is Paul but in space games I "roleplay" as Paul Foster from UFO (also sometimes as Kerr Avon from Blakes 7))

I'm an old fart and have been gaming since my mum bought me an Atari 2600 for xmas 1977.  Which kickstarted a lifelong passion and obsession.  Space games and RPG's are my favourite, my #1 Space gaming being Elite as I bought it day one, back in September 1984 for my BBC Model B and fell in love with it the moment I started playing.

Since then I've played most space games, my favourites being Elite, Frontier, X:Tension, X2, Wing Commander 3, WC Privateer, Space Rogue, EOS (bet no one but me remembers that sadly unloved game) etc other "space" types like the classic K240, Starglider 2, Rescue on Fractalus (yeah.. I know its not really a 'space' game but its epic) etc etc.

After being pretty much burnt out on X2, I figured my space gaming days were over (apart from emulated classics) and then the Elite Dangerous kickstarter appeared and my jaw hit the ground.  I've been waiting for Elite IV for decades.  hoping and wishing it would appear, reading any snippets of information in magazines and hoping one day it would appear.   Well in a way it did..  Sadly not Elite IV single player offline, but Elite Dangerous.  anyway I tossed in more money than I've ever paid for any game, spent the best part of £800 on PC upgrades and an X-52 (yes.. like I said, its an obsession) and waited for the game to appear.

I won't comment further on that game as I'm a little biased and lets just say I'm not playing it it.   Right now for my space "jollies" I switch between X2, X3AP and very very rarely X:Rebirth (I bought the complete version with all dlc, so even though I don't like it, I feel compelled to 'get my money's worth'.

No Man's Sky does intrigue me but I guess it could be a giant of a game or a total borefest..  only time will tell.

I will just hope someone does a reboot or HD version of K240, EOS or Starflight.

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Welcome to SSC - from another old BBC Elite veteran. I am also an ED KS backer who doesn't play the game anymore!

I do play Oolite though - see my sig if you don't know it/ain't tried it.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Welcome to the forums Steve.

No worries there are are few us old farts here. EOS rings a bell but I can't think what it is.

StarFlight have you checked out the fan remake of the game https://sites.google.com/site/starflighttlc/home

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi Paul and welcome to the SSC. You mentioned K240? Yes I played that on the Amiga a lot back in the day, it was a great game. It did get a remake called Fragile Allegiance. Available on GOG.

ReplyQuote
PaulFoster
(@paulfoster)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Paul and welcome to the SSC. You mentioned K240? Yes I played that on the Amiga a lot back in the day, it was a great game. It did get a remake called Fragile Allegiance. Available on GOG.

Oh my god!!!!!  *runs to gog screaming with joy*

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
PaulFoster
(@paulfoster)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Welcome to the forums Steve.

No worries there are are few us old farts here. EOS rings a bell but I can't think what it is.

StarFlight have you checked out the fan remake of the game https://sites.google.com/site/starflighttlc/home

I missed that!  How awesome.  Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Phaserlight
(@phaserlight)
Master Chief Registered

Welcome, PaulFoster.  Nice anecdotes.

ReplyQuote