Notifications
Clear all

Mass Effect

ChillPenguin
(@chillpenguin)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

What do you guys think of the Mass Effect games? I think they're amazing and can't wait for the third one. Discuss.

Oh and my new signature:

fjp2js.gif

SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

What do I think ? I am a huge fan of these games. I played and replayed them for so many times I lost count. They're great !

Graphics - 10

Story - 10

Sounds - 10

Action - 10

Everything else - 10 / 10 / 10 ... yeah, even the planetary mining

plus, Miranda - 10 😀

ReplyQuote
Rith
 Rith
(@rith)
Senior Chief Registered

One of my friends more or less recently got me into Mass Effect. I'm on my first playthough in the second one with an imported character. After saving the one whole world in a lot of the other games I've played, I find it refreshing to save the entire galaxy's assorted collection of civilized sentient life.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

The series is really really good.

The only thing that comes to my mind that the devs screwed a bit in my experience was weapons - in the first you had tons of weapons dropping (far too many) and in the second was the opposite (almost never upgraded) - actually the whole inventory management and weapon upgrading system could be better (in interface, design and items). But it is nothing than a small niggle in a very very good game series.

Can hardly wait for the 3rd!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I have this for my PS3 but haven't played it yet, trying to get all the trophies in FF13 first 😉 But it is next on my list and I played ME1 on the PC and liked it a lot. Hopefully I will get all of the trophies in ME2 before ME3 comes out at the end of this year.

ReplyQuote
LadynightShade
(@ladynightshade)
Master Chief Registered

yea can't wait for Mass Effect 3 played 2 too much lol just before M3 comes out later this year im going to recap and play Mass Effect 1,2 again from the start, just need to time it right 😎

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes I also liked the Mass Effect games. Almost as good as Deus Ex for story, almost. Hope the third one has proper space operations like ship to ship battles or even a bit of EVA where you can control the action. Then it will be near perfect 😎

ReplyQuote
Gargantou
(@gargantou)
Petty Officer Registered

Well, personally I think Mass Effect story is overrated when it comes to games overall. It feels like your quite generic space opera story, and there are games with far better and more morally ambiguous stories out there, though Mass Effect 2 was certainly an improvement over the first game in that regard!

That's not to say I greatly enjoyed the titles however.

There's a reason I have every single achievement on the 360 version of Mass Effect 1 and did three playthroughs of it, only done one of Mass Effect 2 though! Got too many games and too little time these days.

As for Mass Effect 3, I am a bit worried it will be worse than Mass Effect 2 due to being rushed.

Since the development time between Mass Effect 2 and 3 is substantially shorter than between that of Mass Effect 1 and 2.

But only time will tell.

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

Well it's nice scifi story a suitable for gaming.

So great game. First time a went the RPG way.

But I do like the TPS RPG hybrid.

The reason I tried out Fallout3.

And borderlands

And fallout new vegas.

But going around in normandie, made me think a lot of space sim games. Where you fly bit bigger ships then fighters

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

SuperG wrote:
But going around in normandie, made me think a lot of space sim games. Where you fly bit bigger ships then fighters

Just for a second there you made me think about Secret Weapons Over Normandy, you can fly X-Wings against the Luftwaffe as an Easter Egg when you complete the game. Love a bit of sci-fi mash up

Anyways something more troubling has come to my notice concerning the Mass Effect Games, in fact it's worse than that, any game which uses the Unreal 3 engine. Logging onto my Steam account, all these Unreal based games now crash were before they ran perfectly. Doing a quick search across the Bioware forums, I found more people are having the same issue. I have updated the games, re-installed them and rolled back my Nvidia drivers to no avail. Could it be a Micro$oft update for XP? I wonder ifthat could be causing the problem? Certainly other people who are using Windows 7 are also reporting this issue too. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Have the steam forums said anything about this.

And I thought that Microsoft had stopped supporting XP with patches ect.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Both Steam and Bioware forums are tending toward the problem being an Nvidia driver fault. Perhaps they are right, but time will tell. As for XP, you are correct Pinback, Micro$oft has stopped support for XP, although there is still patches for certain components like Net Framework.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Still fighting to get Mass Effect to work. After upgrading my PSU it still crashed. So I did a full re-format of my hard drive, nice fresh install of XP and re-downloaded Mass Effect and it still crashes 😡

Now attempting to run the game in windowed mode. It seems to be working for now.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Don’t know if this article on RPS has anything to do with your problem with running MassEffect

. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08 ... epeatedly/

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Thanks for that Pinback 😉 But I did finally get it working again. It turned out to be my Bios that was causing the problem. Adjusting the settings on the PCI-E got it up and running again. I forgot that I had fitted a replacement mobo so all my setting were out 😳

ReplyQuote