Notifications
Clear all

New Mass Effect coming?

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Found this statement today...

BioWare, meanwhile, is still invested in role-playing games. In addition to the much-anticipated Dragon Age 4, which BioWare teased last year, a new Mass Effect game is in very early development at the Edmonton office under director Mike Gamble, a longtime BioWare producer.

Hmmm what do you think?

Topic Tags
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

If they do this I hope they bring back characters from the trilogy. They were established and could have a new game built around them, perhaps dealing with the aftermath of the events at the end of Mass Effect 3?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

For me it would depend on what type of game it is as I'm not a fan of the original games as they were too linear and far too much chatting to characters. On the other hand I do like Andromeda, more open but still a lot talking to get the plot moving along. 

Blah64 liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well they had originally planned Andromeda to have a substantial space sim bit, where you would either fly or command the ship through the galaxy. They cut that due to the budget they had to work with. I think they ought to bring that back. Make it half RPG adventure and half proper space sim with a living galaxy going on around it all. The only hint of what might have been was the Air Car Chase from ME2 Lair Of The Shadow Broker..

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Posted by: @geraldine

Well they had originally planned Andromeda to have a substantial space sim bit, where you would either fly or command the ship through the galaxy.

That is the biggest annoyance that I have with most the modern space adventures games is that the ship is only a players hub used to go from one location to another. The only modern games which will let the player fly around space is Stellar Tactics and Precursors which is well over ten years old now. Every thing from KOTOR through Mass Effect to Fallen order and the outer worlds just ignore the space part and I can't help but think the these games would have befitted greatly from having a controllable  ship.    

This post was modified 4 years ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@pinback

I agree. We are well into the 21st century and it's high time such games evolved. Heck, we could go all the way back to Sundog and Captain Blood to see this sort of gameplay in operation, yet some modern games designers seem to have missed the lessons these older games taught. The new breed of space sims are catching up but so too should more RPG games like Mass Effect. They are after all set in a space fairing future so space flight is pretty much a given!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

It's bit of a mystery why the modern space RPG games abandoned the player controlled ship when they have 100 times more resources than the old 8/16 bit games had. Lets hope that the designer of StarFall have a flyable ship in their game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Just wonder if we will see a remaster of the original trilogy before they start on any new game. Speaking of which I may have another go at the first game if it still run on the PC?, seem to remember that it had a odd DRM which required it to phone home every now and again.  

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I do know ME1 had issues with some AMD processors. But if you have Intel you should be good. EA are still selling this game on Origin but I guess it's possible they might have done some updates to it over the years to keep it running. Was always hoping the series would turn up on GOG, but no luck as yet.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Think I might used the 360 version of the game, IIRC the classic rerelease of ME1 had the DLC on it. 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

If you do have the PC version, I can recommend an enhanced mod for it. Have a look here.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Just going off on a tangent here, I just realised that I no longer play any of the major franchise games on the PC, seems most of my PC gaming is now indie games and the triple A stuff on a console.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@pinback

Unfortunately, I don't know of any mods for the game on the console. ☹

ReplyQuote
kenaanna
(@kenaanna)
Crewman Registered

BioWare's commitment to role-playing games is evident with the development of both Dragon Age 4 and a new Mass Effect game. The anticipation surrounding these projects is high, especially with the involvement of director Mike Gamble, a seasoned producer at BioWare. Fans of the studio can look forward to immersive gaming experiences ahead.

rice purity test is so fun

ReplyQuote