Notifications
Clear all

Miner Wars 70% off in pre-Alpha

Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I didn't see this posted here, so here it is. Apparently if you pre-order this game you get a 70% discount and you will get instant access to the pre-alpha test phase of the game. (direct link)

This game looks promising but I've been a bit overzealous with my spending lately 😥 so I'm not getting it right now, but if anyone does, I would very much like to see their first impressions of this game...

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

They must have put that up in the past few days. Don't know why anyone would really pay to play in a Alpha version of any game? Beta I could see because most of the content is in the game and they should be in tweaking mode. But Alpha, games are usually incomplete and functionality is lacking.

Personally this is one huge mistake for Keen Software House. Because regardless of NDA's and paying for pre-alpha software word good/bad will get out and too much bad press will effect the game sales. They should wait until beta to do pre-order access. I have seen too many games do this and shoot themselves in the foot.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

It’s a strange business model but I guess you do get the full game at the end of it, ❓ should have made it a flat tenner for it.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Here is some updated info on 70% buy in on the Alpha:

Quote:

Dearest Fans,

last week Miner Wars has been released at a 70% discount in its pre-alpha version. We have allowed our fans to buy the game before its even released and save a lot of money on its purchase. I can already state that the sales have been going spectacular and the sheer number of new registrations proves it. Never before have we seen so much interest in the game! We have also given our fans the possibility to contribute money to the development. Some of our fans have donated some really nice sums! We would like to express our deepest gratitude to all of the people that have contributed. Your help was much appreciated and will never be forgotten.

At the time of the release we have promised our fans that there will be frequent updates to the game.

So here is the first one of many!

Sandbox mode - players now can generate their own sectors that will contain random asteroids and enemies.

Harvesting / mining - YES! Players can now start to accumulate funds by harvesting materials. We have kept our promise on persistent world so your harvested funds will stay with you all the time. They will never get erased. You have a few good reasons to start harvesting now. All the materials will now give you the same amount of money and your funds will be accumulated instantly. In the future builds different materials will yield different earnings and the player will have to sell the materials on motherships or stations. So start now and get a decent headstart!

Editor - start creating your own sectors. Soon you will be able to share these sectors with your friends.

Ship customization screen - tweaked

Mining drill - now working properly

Some minor bug fixes.

This is just the first of many upcoming releases. Not only the game will cost less now but you will also get a pretty nice headstart when the game is released. Its a good idea to buy Miner Wars now! 🙂

Your Miner Wars team

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered

Darkone wrote:
Don't know why anyone would really pay to play in a Alpha version of any game?

This is an interesting opinion for me to read. For my project, I'm of the same mind as you, Darkone. Don't release anything until it's ready to be played.

Of course, there are different considerations for a single- vs. multi-player game, so maybe Keen Software House isn't so crazy here.

Playing the devil's advocate , here's what I would say. Building a community is one of the most important parts of developing an MMO. Why not give players the chance to contribute directly to the development process by letting them play an early version of the game? If they are allowed to communicate directly with the developers (via forums), it may help create a significant, hardcore fan base. Especially if you put effort into listening to the players and implementing some of their ideas.

Plus, both players and reviewers will have drastically different expectations of a smaller indie developer than they would for one of the major MMO studios. Sure, if there were obvious problems in a public pre-alpha/alpha/beta for a Blizzard, Cryptic, Turbine, or Sony MMO, everyone would be talking about it and gleefully predicting doom and gloom across the internet. But for Miner Wars? The expectations are different and nobody really is going to care. As long as constant improvements are being made, and the game is somewhat fun, pre-alpha players may be very patient and constructive towards the whole process.

And a last point - the earlier you can stress test your servers and network code for an MMO, the better.

I'm not sure if I would make the same decision were I creating an MMO. But I can understand their logic.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Quote:

Playing the devil's advocate , here's what I would say. Building a community is one of the most important parts of developing an MMO. Why not give players the chance to contribute directly to the development process by letting them play an early version of the game? If they are allowed to communicate directly with the developers (via forums), it may help create a significant, hardcore fan base. Especially if you put effort into listening to the players and implementing some of their ideas.

I agree this is definitely a good idea and you do start to create hype and early adopters of the game will see their ideas getting implemented. If I remember Keen Software's timeline correctly they are going to put out a single player game and then work on the MMO. So in all aspects they are going to use the SP game to fund the MMO, least that is what it seems. So a SP game will need to be fairly polished game for the MMO to see the light of day imho.

Quote:

But for Miner Wars? The expectations are different and nobody really is going to care.

Game development is a lot longer these days and people have time to actually watch a game take shape and see input gathered from the community and implemented. That is all good, but you also get to see the flaws of a game as well. Do people generally follow the NDAs in closed alpha/beta not always and you see info good and bad start to creep out. And I would think for a indie developer wanting to charge for any game will want to make sure they minimize the bad press as much as possible. Since Miner Wars first release will be the SP game, imo that takes a lot of effort as you know to build all the content, campaign, missions and so forth. And with giving so many people access to the alpha you leave yourself open for the bad comments about being unfinished to start filtering across the web. Yes most people do know that alpha build means unstable and feature missing build of a game, but a lot of people form opinions early on.

I am a big fan of the indie developer and try to help as much as I can. Because the indie devs usually build unique concept games and or build games the community is looking for. And sales (unless its free) of that game really do impact further development, sequels or projects down the road. You read about development houses closing down all the time and its only because something didn't sell well enough. I just get wary when a developer of a game that you will pay for lets you see to much to early 🙂

Quote:

As long as constant improvements are being made, and the game is somewhat fun, pre-alpha players may be very patient and constructive towards the whole process.

And a last point - the earlier you can stress test your servers and network code for an MMO, the better.

I agree with this, that the right community can really help game development and get the word out. And developers should use the core/die hard fans for testing to really make it solid. I know even with todays connections that your server your hosting on is a big deal and can make or break you. I am in a closed beta now and the server is overseas and it makes the game very hard to play and it is a huge turn off for the game itself. Yes, they say a NA server is coming but it hurts testing because you cannot truly test the game with lag killing you. Especially a space combat game 🙂

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered

You make some good points. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Miner Wars. I wish them all the best - MMOs are exceedingly difficult games to make.

ReplyQuote