Notifications
Clear all

No Man's Sky

Page 15 / 17

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

OOooh nice one MV2000!

The game so needed this. I hope this is but the first of the mods to come out for the game as there is so many areas of the game that could be improved upon.

Thanks for letting us know tho about the low flight mod.

EDIT: While on there I grabbed the Magic Speed mod too. Exploring is now much faster!

Be careful though as the jet pack is effected too so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to slow down jumping off high places.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

(what's wrong with the forum's bb code anyway? For some reason I can't embed URL into text)

D1 is in the middle of updating the forum, so it may be a glitch.

You know despite all the problems that No Man Sky has at the moment I think this game is a game changer in ever sense of the word. As every other game out their with seamless planets flight will have to up their game now.

Hopefully we will see others taking the ideas of No Man Sky and expanding upon what they did right and correcting what they have done wrong.  

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well, with a healthy mod scene, anything is possible. Mods can go a long way to help add things to a game the original devs couldn't or didnt put into the game. Maybe the same will happen with NMS?

ReplyQuote
Artlav
(@artlav)
Crewman Registered

So, with all the noise about No Man's Sky making a good deal of people bitter and causing them to search for other sims, perhaps there is some quick mod i can add to Spaceway in order to quench the thirst?
Like a resource mining/expending plugin along with a random animal generator plugin.
It will still have the issues with being too empty, but at least there will be real physics to keep you occupied. 🙂
(Oh, and Spaceway have seamless interstellar and intergalactic transitions, meaning that you can get from one star to another on a regular sublight starship, some math and fast-forwarding).

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Warrant Officer Registered

Well, still far from my home, and I bite my fingers, cant wait to try it and make my own opinion ... in the same time, 2 questions:

• Is it necessary to have an Internet connection active while you're launching/playing the game, as it's the case for E:D ???

http://nomansskymods...y-hytek-packed/
Modder did what Hello Games can't. It's as if they have learnt the best bits from Bethesda, as always.

• Really really cool, but is there a risk to be banned from Hello Games server if you connect with a modded instance of the game ?

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

No, you don't require any internet connection to play the game and you won't get banned at all whatever kind of mod you're using.

This isn't a multiplayer game to begin with, no matter how badly the fanboys/PR/"journalists"/Sony/Sean Murray himself have twisted such statement.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well, still far from my home, and I bite my fingers, cant wait to try it and make my own opinion ... in the same time, 2 questions:

• Is it necessary to have an Internet connection active while you're launching/playing the game, as it's the case for E:D ???
  • Really really cool, but is there a risk to be banned from Hello Games server if you connect with a modded instance of the game ?

Confirmed, I've got the GOG version and it is totally offline. You can upload your discoveries if you wish for in game cash tho but it's your choice.

I also agree it would be very unlikely you would get banned. Especially so when I think what this low flight mod does will eventually be in an official patch or if it isn't it, should damn well be!

Also nice to see your still busy working away on Spaceway Artlav. Great little game Spaceways!

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Yes, I confirm all the above, you will not get banned from any server because there are no possible cheats to use for MP, and: the MP part of the game is really small yet, it's mostly a single-player explorer game.

I highly recommend the GOG version, the price tag is the same, currently buying the title get you a 6,20$ bonus for future purchases, and you start playing immediately after download and installing. Be sure to also download and apply all the patches available in your account !!

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Zopzodeman
(@zopzodeman)
Petty Officer Registered

Im throwing Jim in the ring , because discusion is still ongoing:

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

There are tons of such videos that have been released soon after the game release, speaking about missing features and the big hype. I doubt that these people have made careful researching to know for sure what's in the game and what not; just because they are right doesn't mean they have done a good job, a game with such a vast scale of locations and with an unlocking feature system may hide many things, and I simply doubt that the ranters have gone through all of it.

The current perceived problem with NMS can be resumed, one, by the features that have been taken out, second, by the generated hype. The hype just reflects what people are expecting and is therefore totally subjective and has NOTHING to do with the game or Hello Games. For HG their job is to release the best possible game and be informative with descriptions, videos or PR, period. What the people read between the lines is their business alone.

So is HG dishonest? No. To illustrate it,  let's take a simple analogy with cinema movie DVDs. Years ago I have completed my collection of the Star Trek movies and series. But do people really know what they get by buying the episodes? I don't think so. When the series were created, they were 60 minutes long without TV ads interuptions. The DVD releases have been cut to 45 minutes, and few people realize that on every serie 15 minutes have been 'cut out' in favor of TV ads.

If you are lucky enough to have recorded all the series life when they were in TV for the first times, back in the 80s or early 90s, then your records are probably worth the multiple price of the commercial releases, because you won't find these series at their full - uncutted - lenght in any stores.

The same goes with a lot of movies. They simply call it DIRECTORS CUT or shit like that. What most people think to be a bonus is a malus instead.

Now, I don't get to hear any big insults towards the Paramount Studio not delivering what they promised, or stuff like that. So why does this happen to HG with No Man's Sky?

Lot of people complain features not being in the game, but they forget how games are produced. It is fully legitimate for game studios to present game builts that show the most PROBABLE features that will be in the game. I hear Joe saying "Bull****, that's not in the game, I want to play this built instead...". Well, if Sean Murray sends him this 'built' he would be even more disappointed, because such 'builts' do nothing except showing features on a big screen monitor. They don't include the whole game.

Later, when in production, it may come out that game features DON'T WORK for many possible reasons, for example memory constraints that would require much stronger system requirements for the gamers, a very negative selling argument. Or the features need corrections and must be reserved for future DLCs. There are many other LEGITIMATE reasons to take out features from a game, so Hello Games cannot be blamed for lying or misleading people.

From what I saw up to now, HG have deliverd a game not working perfectly and which needs to be patched (tell me one serious game or software that works perfectly on release!) and they mainly have maintained their producing expectations, but certainly could not satisfy all the hype, again: if people fill the blanks, it's their business, there is no way for HG to couteract this, if they would listen to the hype the game would not even be released in 50 years...

So, in conclusion, I see nothing wrong with Hello Games or NMS. It's a fine game that can and will get better with time and there is already a very nice modding community active.

I will kindly ask Hello Games not to get too much distracted by all the rumble and easy-ranters. Thanks.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

I simply doubt that the ranters have gone through all of it.

Of course they did not.

The easy-ranting is just an easy way to blow off steam, initially that is. And now it just seems to be a other hype that's feeding of itself.

... Mirror mirror on the wall, Who can be the meanest ranter of us all ...

I don't see any constructiveness in it anymore (if there even was any, that is), and I don't pay any attention to them anymore. ... The longer it / they persist, the more pity I start to feel for them.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

https://www.n3rdabl3.co.uk/2016/08/25/160817/no-mans-skys-concurrent-players-pc-dropped-90/

So much for all those 2 years of hype all right.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

... Mirror mirror on the wall, Who can be the meanest ranter of us all ...

LOL...

On release day 1 and day 2 the most rants were comming in, I mean those about missing features and not those - justified - about game crashes. Watching them now is no fun anymore, also because serious reviewers start to make videos about unlocked features and things that WORK like blackholes, or level-5 fightings. I'm not yet sure, I haven't played long enough, but I think the game will quickly adapt to your style making combat much more difficult, giving you more ways to upgrade your ship etc., or you unlock features by doing specific things before or at the right time.

My first impression is that the game is deeper than it appears to be at first glance. And I find it a lot of fun to play.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Artlav
(@artlav)
Crewman Registered

So much for all those 2 years of hype all right.

The question i can't quite find an answer to - how typical is that drop?
I would have expected pretty much any game to have a peak at launch, followed by a drop, and then, if a game is good, by an upwards trend.

I.e. Pokemon Go have almost exactly the same curve of huge popularity at launch following by a drop, and yet no one called it a failure.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

What about most of these 200.000+ initial buyers (or other people) waiting for patches comming out? This explains the drop I guess.

XRebirth had a very bad start that patches have corrected over time, although it's true that a lot of content has been added since. Such activity can highly influence such 'charts' making them not reliable to tell if a game is good or bad.

For HG, it would be very desirable to make it true for the game running at lower minimum requirements. The current ones is a no-go for most computer systems and occasional gamers.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
wormhole
(@wormhole)
Petty Officer Registered

As much I dislike how Hello Games is marketing their game and communicate with the customers, I still look forward to play NMS. Publishers are pushing developers hard and unfortunately it means games may end up to market in very incomplete state.

I hope NMS will be improved in upcoming months/year and ed up to be even better space game.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

As much I dislike how Hello Games is marketing their game and communicate with the customers, I still look forward to play NMS. Publishers are pushing developers hard and unfortunately it means games may end up to market in very incomplete state.

I don't have any privileged knowledge, but I strongly suspect this is the case.  Often times PC games barely seem tested when they are released, it's hard to blame anyone but the publisher for this, or in the case of No Man's Sky, a company that clearly had some kind of deal to promote it (I still don't completely understand the relationship between Hello Games and Sony).  Even though the state of the game wasn't so good on release, for me they fixed all of the technical issues within the first week.

I am really sick of the fact that so few people are capable of expressing a measured opinion on the internet.  Everything has to be so absurdly over the top.  Please stop with the rants internet people, nobody cares anymore.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-28-advertising-standards-launches-investigation-into-no-mans-sky

Will this be the final nail in the coffin should the investigation resulting in positive findings?

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

I have some difficulties to understand such determination against this game.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I don't like these types of shenanigans.

Here's how it should work: If you don't like a game, get over it. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Here's how it should work: If you don't like a game, get over it. 

If thy game offend thee, pluck it out!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Like Blastiel, Roscoe was told by a Sony call centre agent that he was entitled to a refund, but he would lose the right to play the game again.

Bummer, I guess no Sony products for me than.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

When comparing other games on Steam with the medias they provide (videos, screenshots), then NMS is fully in the norm. These media are of course always somewhat apart from the true experience, as all advertisements by the way. And then there is still Youtube or other sources for anyone in doubt, nowadays we can assume that people get informed through the net and actually do so before they buy anything.

No chance that the NMS media will be declared as a blattant mis-representation to enforce the media removal, and even so: HG has earned a lot in pre-orders and most of the people who could afford to buy at that high price have already done so. So what?

What I have a hard time to understand is: why would I ever pre-order any game ?! No way for me, ever... Why should I buy blindly? I must then have an  advantage as a compensation that generally never materializes. In the case of NMS, a slightly different shape of ship is surley not reason enough...

XenonS

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

why would I ever pre-order any game ?!

Because people are dumb, mindless zombies. Remember the last year when the anti-preorder movement was at its finest?

I have some difficulties to understand such determination against this game.

Only because the devs are weak, almost-nameless indies that it easily fell as prey of the angry mobs and opportunists haters and clickbait journalists alike. Imagine should the likes of Bethesda or Activision who did NMS instead, no one will bitch it for even any minute. Not even Jim Sterling.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Imagine should the likes of Bethesda or Activision who did NMS instead, no one will bitch it for even any minute. Not even Jim Sterling.

I doubt that's true, in fact on Steam the reviews of (seemingly all) AAA games are becoming increasingly harsh.  Perhaps not always deservedly so, but since that's probably what it takes for the publishers to get the message I think it's a good thing.  Hopefully they don't take harsh criticism as "Don't make this type of game" but instead "Get your shit together".

Thing is, Bethesda or Activision would never have done what Sony and Hello Games did with No Man's Sky, because they have enough experience to know not to do that.  Furthermore they are established companies that know they will be depending on their reputation to sell games in the future.

ReplyQuote
Page 15 / 17