Notifications
Clear all

No Man's Sky

Page 3 / 17

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

He said it, they have an opportunity to make an epic game and they only have one chance to get it right 🙂

Because on the surface this game is looking amazing and it is the game most of us want. I mean look at those worlds they are creating.... we'll see.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Strange I could have swore I posted this video in this thread this morning.

Love the look of the planets with the plant and animal life, makes a change from all the dead world you usually get with PG games.

ReplyQuote
SerialKicked
(@serialkicked)
Petty Officer Registered

oh my... I hate being hyped by games, but with this one it is so hard to resist

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

I have to admit to being more adversarial than usual with this because they have an exclusivity deal with Sony, but they really aren't giving us much.  I see pretty landscapes, but we still know absolutely nothing about gameplay.  I'm not just talking trailers, they haven't even said very much, other than some very dubious statements about some sort of quasi-MMO.  They get a lot of hype, but to me this is totally different than when E:D and SC were getting started, Chris Roberts and David Braben were giving detailed descriptions of what they were planning from day one, these guys have said nothing.  Wouldn't totally surprise me if Sony prevents them from being more open, either.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Might be some details in this video not watched it myself.

The reason we were given any details about E:D and S:C was that they wanted our money, these guys have Sony behind them.

And another new trailer for the game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

i don't think this game really intends to compete with Elite or SC. I expect it will be a fairly simple game of just shooting and collecting things with some awesome tech, but given the developer is about 6 people in Gilford, i don't see that as an issue. Sony probably want to make it look like a lot more than it is though.

Same here I get the impression it's about exploring and shooting, along with bit of collecting of materials to repair/upgrade the ship with.

Brilliant 1970 Chris Foss look to the game, make a refreshing change from all the gun metal colored ship you usually get.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Fair enough, I only compare this to E:D and SC because the internet is already filled with such comparisons.

By the way, did they ever say anything concrete about a PC release?  I thought they hadn't.  

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Found this article, which I had read before but forgotten about:

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-is-a-timed-exclusive-for-playstation-4-but-a-pc-version-is-coming/

I get a kick out of:

"Hello Games Managing Director Sean Murray said the studio opted to lead with that platform because it has the power to support the procedural generation that drives No Man's Sky..."

Yeah... I just threw a machine in the garbage that was more powerful than the PS4 because it was too old to be worth fixing.  Got to love the Sony marketing bullshit.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Most games are about hype, more so when you have one of the big guns involved and here's latest bit about the galactic map  http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/08/galactic-map-puts-scale-of-no-man-s-sky-in-perspective.aspx

From reading this you would think no ones has ever done a 3D map before.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Still not nearly as impressive as the map in Elite.

I'm rather disappointed that they decided not to make everything to scale.  (Albeit I feel a little ridiculous saying that since I still have pretty much no idea what the game is yet.)  Sean Murray said he originally wanted to, I can't understand why he gave into his art department.

Elite and EVE are both to scale, and, in my opinion at least, they are the two best looking games ever made.  Making space feel huge is to me infinitely more important than being able to see other planets take up a huge solid angle from every single perspective.  After all, as we see in Elite, you DO often see planets taking up a huge solid angle from the surface of other planets.  I can't really see why anyone would think it's absolutely necessary to get that view from every single planet in the whole galaxy.  Doesn't the sense of wonder invoked by the mind-boggling immensity of even just a single star system outweigh (by many, many orders of magnitude) the desire to have slightly more views of planets from in atmosphere?  Sure does to me.  

Also, people should stop making nebulas so damn bright.  I've had my complaints about Elite, but my god did they nail the look of it.  Take lessons, other devs. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

My impression from what they have said and shown and the fact that Chris Foss was mentioned as an inspiration is that they are going for the fantasy sci-fi look which was popular in the 1970/80, Just Google "Chris Foss" and you can see No mans sky in his work.

Another acticle from gameinformer http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/10/stop-thinking-of-no-man-s-sky-as-a-multiplayer-game.aspx

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another video from Gamesinformer http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/12/70questionsandanswersaboutnomanssky.aspx this one take the form of 70 yes and no question to Sean Murray also a few maybes as well.

No so much on details but a few titbits.

Only one ship at a time but you can change ships

No customization of ships.

Earth may or may not be in the game.

Planets can be partly destroyed.

Space station cannot be built.

No customization of avatars.

Black holes will be in the game.

you can fly to edge of galaxy or universe? and enter the void.

Animals will eat each other but you can't ride them.

Not sure if he said you could or could not change the name of the planets? names as the video keep stalling, although no doubt its all subject to change.

Edit video on Youtube now.

Noticed the big question was not asked if they intend to be online game only or will their be a single player games as well.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

No customization of ships.

Not sure exactly what that means, but it certainly sounds pretty discouraging.  In just about any game with spaceships I spend most of my time fitting my ships.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Is a bit strange but then again maybe the ship are only a means for getting from one planet to another planet and I don't recall any mention of  players doing any trading of goods in this game so their maybe no call for fitting ship out.

Probably the same for combat if you want better guns just get a bigger ship.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

My impression from what they have said and shown and the fact that Chris Foss was mentioned as an inspiration

Chris Foss, eh? Quite apart from his excellent space artwork, he is known for The Joy of Sex - an interesting coffe-table book!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

he is known for The Joy of Sex - an interesting coffe-table book!

According to the video above they have ruled out spreading your seed around the galaxy. 😆

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

Or maybe the ships are also randomly generated? I recall seeing a concept art of the ship variations but I doubt that has something to do with randomly-generated/designed ship.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

IIRC AD-Astra uses procedural generation for it's ships in the game so it could be the reason you can't change them.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

They did say that the ships are procedural.

Hardly seems like a reason why they couldn't be customized, although I'm still a bit uncertain of exactly what they mean by "customized".

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Few details on the basic game play here http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/15/the-path-to-no-man-s-sky-s-end-game.aspx

Pulling up the galaxy map will provide a better view of your relative position in the galaxy. Your starting planet is one of several in a solar system. Each procedurally generated planet is home to one of several resources, which have their own value depending on its scarcity. When you’re on a planet’s surface, you can scan your surroundings. Valuable commodities are highlighted by a grid-like overlay. Blasting the resources with your multitool harvests them. You can sell your finds at space stations – every solar system has one – or deposit them at trading posts that dot some planets’ surfaces. When you have enough money, you can buy additional fuel for your ship. You’ll need that for the next step in your journey.

2. Building Your Strength

You don’t upgrade your ship in No Man’s Sky. Instead, you purchase new ships. Better ships will have better attributes, including more powerful shields, the ability to withstand harsher environments, and more storage capacity. The last component will be of particular interest for goal-oriented players. Storage capacity refers to both the amount of resources you can carry, as well as fuel. You’ll naturally burn fuel to travel to other solar systems, and your starting ship won’t allow you to travel far.

So you will be able to sell resources to buy fuel and better ships and I am pretty sure they mentioned that you could repair the ship as well.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

That sounds better, especially in light of the fact that the ships are procedurally generated.  Hopefully "attributes" is a pretty large set.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Journey to the center of the galaxy.......................................................what does that remind me of.............................................OH NO I JUST REMEMBERED.

Also a bit more hype here http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/17/coping-with-the-hype-of-no-mans-sky.aspx

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

According to the video above they have ruled out spreading your seed around the galaxy. 😆

Hahaha, nice Pinback.

I really don't think No Man's Sky is going to be as much about space exploration as it will be planet exploration. In all the videos they show off the planets and nothing really about space. I can see why there will be no ship variants or customizations because you might not be in it much.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

The secret story behind the game http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/19/the-secret-story-behind-no-man-s-sky.aspx all very dramatic but it tell you nothing about the game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Bit about the music of the game. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/22/creating-the-infinite-soundtrack-of-no-man-s-sky.aspx

NoMansskymusic610.jpg

Odds are that you fell in love with the E3 2014 trailer of No Man's Sky, and the track from the band 65daysofstatic had a lot to do with that. Not only did Hello Games license their song "Debutante" for that trailer, but the partnership between the studio and the band has blossomed into 65daysofstatic composing the entire game's soundtrack and creating a No Man's Sky album

Great screen shot. 😎

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 17