Notifications
Clear all

No Man's Sky

Page 9 / 17

Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

Sorry, I really didn't intend to come off anywhere near that nasty.  Actually, I was largely kidding when I suggested that I wish developers would deliberately not include 3rd person, sometimes tone doesn't come across so well in text.  Though, I was quite serious when I said that I find it very hard to understand why anyone would want half their field of view blocked.  Again, if the argument is spatial awareness, I think this is only applicable for very specific types of games, in the case of most shooters (whether they be FPS or simulators) I suspect that most of those who want 3rd person would actually be far more satisfied after making the appropriate adjustments to their field-of-view setting.  But of course, if you suffer from motion sickness associated with 1st person views, that sounds just awful and I certainly didn't intend to antagonize anybody for this (admittedly, I was not very aware that that is an issue for many people).

It admit that it did hit a nerve with me as I see space pilot game after game come out without third person chase cam and no matter how much I love that genre I simply can't play in cockpit as it obscures so much view it feels needlessly constrictive and constraining.

Example: vs

And that cockpit is quite uncluttered compared to many others out there.

I do up the view in first person shooters a bit to get the necessary feel of playing in a three dimensional place.

Other than that I have no problems on the ground, playing/being a person running around.

However, that changes entirely when I play as something else, something not with human proportions that I still have to take into account so that I don't crash into other things.

Since people who can't play a game because of fov reason simply don't you wont really come across them, hence their lack of presence in such games.

I'm sure you have heard of people getting motion sickness from VR rigs. It being a new thing which interest new people who don't yet know to stay away from them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_sickness

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

https://repo.nmsdb.info/

I see this site says their is an offline mode but where did it get this information from?.

Is it not in the magazine images that the Online-box content links to as its source ?

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

https://repo.nmsdb.info/

Box: Local / Global Saving

There are two places things can be saved: globally (in the cloud), or locally (on your machine)

Global storage will only be used for important things, such as the naming of planets/creatures and the near-destruction of space stations

Anything not as important will be stored locally

Terrain deformation will be stored locally, otherwise there would likely be far too much information to store

Mmm.

if "near-destruction of space stations" is global data, it makes sense to assume that a online connection is required to jump from one system to another systems. ... Just to check ... if there might be a space stations, that might be near-destruction.

If online is not required in this case, the global data thing becomes a bit iffy in relation to having global game changes.

"Terrain deformation will be stored locally, otherwise there would likely be far too much information to store"

Fun part of this is that, given enough time[1], its your local game-computer that might run into the same problem.

(The logical thing here, is that they probably added some time-out part to that data.)

[1] Game playing time, while terraforming like mad, for ... probably a very long time.

"There will not be Gas Giants, every planet can be walked on"

Darn, Gas Giants are great for:

- Beautiful gas-ring patterns.

- Plenty of moons / small planets.

- Beautiful (from a far) and resource rich rings, with navigation bonus hazards.

And ... so what if I like to fly into one, to be never seen again. 🙂

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered

Beeing online all the time will not technically be a necessity, because they say 'as soon as' you go online, your discoveries will be saved from the data of your local machine into the community (cloud, server etc.). Also they say SP will not differ in gameplay from MP. Your are not losing anything playing SP: it just depends on you when you decide to upload your data for the community (and also get the community data).

Also AFAIK, in order not to be a MMO, the number of 'friends' or other players you may encounter in a system will be limited.

NMS is more a SP game in its spirit, and I expect to throw away the online aspect if I wish so.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Is it not in the magazine images that the Online-box content links to as its source ?

It could be some where in that link section but the problem is, is it still current and as we all know,  developers can change their minds at the last minute and I would like to see something from Hello games which is less than a month old, otherwise it's going to be a case of waiting to see what happens on the day of release.

ReplyQuote
Dem
 Dem
(@dem)
Petty Officer Registered

I know the game is not out yet but any word on expanding the game whether it be patch,dlc or full expansion?. With the freedom built into the game would we see things like privateer or freelancer type content-merchant ships and missions?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I believe that the latest IGN video, Murray mentioned later expansions to the game but I don't think he went into any details about what they would be.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Online v Offline play

It could be some where in that link section but the problem is, is it still current and as we all know,  developers can change their minds at the last minute and I would like to see something from Hello games which is less than a month old, otherwise it's going to be a case of waiting to see what happens on the day of release.

Yes. That is a general problem.

I think that the developers view on how persistence this (shared) world should be (or not) to the players is key here.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

- You will be able to see other players

(BUT)
- Only a few people can be seen at one time. If lots of people converge on an area, then you will only see a few of them

Very loosely persistence so far.

Which makes playing offline, while skipping persistent world changes by other players, likely in my view.
( still speculative, ... as I'm not working at Hello games. 🙂 )

Spelling, as usual ]

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

Found a recent reddit discussion about the singleplayer, offline mode and such

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4geizf/single_player_explanation/

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Funny this discussion, especially because NMS is mainly intended as a SP game by its game mechanics. And yes, there is this trouble factor: The upload abuse, e.g. by giving obscene names to planets or such things... Other than that, I may not like the upload results because I get spoiled in my own efforts of discovering things, in the decision to visit or not to visit some places...

I mean, if in other games I want to know these things, I would consult a fan-page reading the spoilers...

If I don^t like what I see after going online and getting uploads - then I will have to make use of my Windows recovery functions :=)

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Perhaps it might be desirable to be able to only opt for updates to the game itself rather than any updates to the galaxy and planetary data that other players would add?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Video about the lore of the game but it mostly seems to be about creating the comic which will come with the special editions of the game.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

WOW, I didnt know Dave Gibbons was involved with this. Well, that settles it then for me at least. I will certainly be getting this then.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Damn! It's a long time to wait, until June 23!!!!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This newest trailer really does sell the game well, thanks for posting it Pinback.

Really for the inner role player in all of us you can have immense amount of fun discovering your story and how you fit in the grand scheme of things, nice touch.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

Photo Mode (Game Mechanics)
If the player stands still for a bit the HUD will disappear and the player can look around and take screenshots.

For the explorers in NMS I think it would be nice if there was a bit more, in game, photo support. Thinking more photo management system here. Perhaps with a "better camera, more features" ladder.

- additional zoom

- auto save of related coordinates and system name.

- bigger than screen-size shots.

- Sophisticated browse and search features at the station photo shop.

More down to basics, it would come down to having some sort of (in game) personal NMS adventure log feature.

Its the future, right? Pen and paper have probably gone out of fashion a long time ago. 🙂

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

It got delayed again, it seems.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/26/no-mans-sky-reportedly-delayed

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Interesting, can't see anything official yet, so it just a rumor?. 

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

Looks like they need more time to fix the currently bugged PS4 version.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

First impressions are huge these days so they should take all the time they need to get it right because expectations for NMS is getting larger, as long as they deliver in 2016 I think all is good for them.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Don't know what you have linked to MV2000? as I don't seem to get anything, was it the PlayStation blog http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/27/no-mans-sky-coming-to-ps4-in-august/

August 12, I'm miffed a British developer and we get it last.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

August 12, I'm miffed a British developer and we get it last.

Maybe they are saving the BEST version for you guys 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Maybe they are saving the BEST version for you guys 🙂

Maybe less bugs. 😆

I was hoping the delay might have had some thing to do with the PlayStation VR but it looks like they are just fiddling with it.

ReplyQuote
MvGulik
(@mvgulik)
Senior Chief Registered

I was hoping the delay might have had some thing to do with the PlayStation VR but it looks like they are just fiddling with it.

Your not the only one thinking NMS+PSVR related delay ... forbes:no-mans-sky-should-be-playstation-vrs-flagship-title

VR would be nice, but I rater have a little less features, than last minute (or weeks) added underdeveloped/*beta*/*bugged* features. Especially at first release.

Note for users with add-blockers: If blocked by Forbes, try pasting the related URL a second time in the same window/tab. This seems to work on my side.

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 17