Notifications
Clear all

Aquanox: Deep Descent

Page 1 / 2

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

For all of the fans of the Aquanox series it looks like a 3rd game is in kickstarter and it actually looks good in concept and they are currently 1/3 funded with about 3wks left.

With all of the underwater games i am seeing on steam and how they look it they (Digital Arrow and Nordic Games) can pull it off they will have a great underwater shooter on their hands.

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806010995/aquanox-deep-descent

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Now this looks interesting as I am a big fan of submarine games.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I heard the first one is pretty good also it seems to turn up a lot in space sim lists for some odd reason.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Basically the subs handled a lot like the ships in many space sims. I was a big fan of Subwar 2050 on the Amiga (remember that old game Pinback?) so I was tempted to back this.

ReplyQuote
Thoemse
(@thoemse)
Crewman Registered

Backed for beta.

I loved Schleichfahrt and Aquanox!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Basically the subs handled a lot like the ships in many space sims. I was a big fan of Subwar 2050 on the Amiga (remember that old game Pinback?) so I was tempted to back this.

I do, still got it some where although it was never a game I got into, seem to recall it having layer that the sub descended through.

Shame theirs no PayPal option.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Damn!! I still cannot sent money abroad!!!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I do, still got it some where although it was never a game I got into, seem to recall it having layer that the sub descended through.

Shame theirs no PayPal option.

Yes those were thermal layers in the water that could be used to hide in. Subwar was a game that had a lot of tactics about it. I hope this Aquanox remake takes advantage of such gameplay mechanics too.

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

I remember a friend had the first one on PC - I thought it looked interesting, but never got it myself.

Thinking back though it looked like it played a lot like Freelancer (which I got into a while after that friend moved away)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

They have hit there target but no sign of a PayPay button yet.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

It will sure be nice to see what they can create with the UE4, I have seen a few underwater games on steam and none of those use UE4 and they look great so UE4 if they take their time to do it right should look amazing.

Looks like you can still get in on purchasing through this link: http://startyourbusinessconsulting.com/aquanox-kickstarter-paypal/

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Had second thoughts about it, got too many games I'm not playing at the moment.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

I played the first aquanox in 2001, it was a very good game. A kind of Descent underwater. They use Unreal 3 engine for this new chapter, why not Unreal 4?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

They have Steam page now but still no release date for the game apart from saying this year https://store.steampowered.com/app/254370/Aquanox_Deep_Descent/ Looking at the forum, opinions seems to be divide over weather it just a underwater shooter and other who were expecting more of an rpg game.

Website here https://www.aquanox.com/

A youtuber playing the tutorial, it in German so no idea what he saying but it gives you look at the game and it's is only from about a week ago.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Interesting, they have went for an Elite Dangerous cockpit layout. I think that's a good move, everything laid out just where you need it.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I kind of forgot about this game but it unlocks on Steam next week.

This post was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Same here but it has been about 5 years since the Kickstart.

One long journey for the backers of the game. 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Posted by: @pinback

Same here but it has been about 5 years since the Kickstart.

One long journey for the backers of the game. 

It certainly has been Pinback but I am really looking forward to it. It's the most excited I've been for a game in a long time.

EDIT: I played Sub War 2050 for ages, the game that kicked off this genre. Here is it's theme tune, just for the memories you understand. Amiga version of course! The best version.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

@geraldine I still have the original boxed CD32 version!!!

Pinback and Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@captainkal

As do I as well as the disk based version. Loved reading the lore that came with it in the Undercurrents magazine. Sounded really plausible in it's descriptions on how submarines will advance in the years to come. I think they really will be more like aircraft in the future and much, much faster than they presently are too. It's just a matter of time.

Pinback liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Ditto I still have my disk A1200 version of SubWar but it's a game I never played that much as I could never get into it.

UIM came out few years before SubWar on the BBC and Archimedes and it said to play like Elite underwater.

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I didn't know of this game Pinback! Your right too, looks very much like Elite. Back when this Aquanox was in early development, I asked the devs if they would consider making it more "Elite-like" with some trading between ports as well as mission based progression like the earlier Aquanox games. I had no idea someone had done this before. Then again I didn't own a BBC or Archimedes back in the day. So this is why I missed this game. Wish I had known about it back then as it looked interesting.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This new Aquanox game is now on GOG as well as Steam.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Posted by: @geraldine

I didn't know of this game Pinback! Your right too, looks very much like Elite. Back when this Aquanox was in early development, I asked the devs if they would consider making it more "Elite-like" with some trading between ports as well as mission based progression like the earlier Aquanox games. I had no idea someone had done this before. Then again I didn't own a BBC or Archimedes back in the day. So this is why I missed this game. Wish I had known about it back then as it looked interesting.

Did they add anything or is just a mission based shooter as it's a little unclear in the description of the game.

I came across UIM a few years ago in my never ending quest to find Elite like games, if anyone is interested in trying out the game you can find it on  Stairway to hell http://www.stairwaytohell.com/ along with the BBC emulator.

IIRC it's just a drag and drop the game on the emulator to get it running.

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2