Notifications
Clear all

Babylon 5 IFH, controller config goofy

tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Ok, so a long long time ago I tried this game, before I was more into the space games, and never really played it , but was going to keyboard the whole thing. 

These days, I'm on a home-made 4 joystick controller, which is working in the game, but the PROBLEM is,,, unlike keyboard users, and even though I have more than enough joysticks to go around, and even though the game is assigning the joystick,,,, I can't use the joystick for left-right or up-down (slide) acceleration unless i toggle slide mode, which locks pitch-yaw. Obviously this is a feature from single-joystick days, or dual joystick where one joystick runs forward-back and roll,,, and the other pitch-yaw, where slide engaged can allow the pitch-yaw to run up-down-left-right accel,,, but today,,,, I have 4 joysticks. as far as I can tell I'm out of options, but I ALSO can't find where to provide feedback and hope for a patch. 

does anyone know where to go to make game-feature requests?? There were patches in 2018, so I'm thinking the developers might still play and update the game,,, just not to great fanfare. Honestly my initial experience with using the game is superb, I can't believe how much the ship is exactly how responsive I want it to be in exactly the right directions. naturally, I will choose the game where i can access all dof without toggling, which is why I made my game controller in the first place,,, but Babylon 5 is really a great universe to run play imagine in, and the starfury really is what I'm looking to navigate. 

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hmmm, I haven't played this game I don't think. But I have read it has issues with wide screen formats. I have never even seen a four joystick controller 🙂 I doubt many games would support this unless you can remap all of the controls. It sounds by reading the indiedb/moddb forums that there might be an issue because it sounds like there is recompiling issues because it was built so long ago.... try posting your issue to the indiedb/moddb forum area for B5IFH.

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@sscadmin

I'll look for that stuff. when I first tried the game I got if from a site that was since taken down. 

Of course you've never seen a 4-joystick controller,, because i had to make the dang thing!! I'll post some pics. I like it. basically it's two thumb and two trigger-finger sticks. it took a few weeks , but by now I'm thinking of switching from one axis per trigger finger to two on one ,, then using the other trigger to point the head-turn. (so, all ship movements on 3 sticks, then the head-turn associated with Infinity Battlescape on the other stick). 

as for support, basically all games support it, even babylon-5, as long as you can map the controls they pretty much support any number of axis controls, whatever the computer detects. There are a few exceptions, but only for very indie games. babylon 5, however, has this workaround for controllers or joysticks with fewer axis , which is that you can switch to "slide" mode, which allows for lateral or vertical accel, then switch back to normal mode which activates rotation. ,,, however it makes it so even though I've assigned each motion to a separate axis, they still need to be toggled.... 

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@sscadmin

ok, I posted on the indiedb forum. I'm the only post there, no one has been using it, I don't have much hope that someone will see the post, but I'll hope for the best! 

ReplyQuote