Notifications
Clear all

Game Recommendation

tanga6005
(@tanga6005)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Happy Holidays to everyone!

I need some game recommendations, and it seems that this is the place to get them.

I want a game like Starpoint Gemini 2 (I love the graphics and the feel), but with the option to have bigger fleets.  I've been looking at games like X3 TC, and Rebirth but am unfamiliar with that series and don't know which one to dive into.  I am also open to other titles and given the great Holiday sales going on and having some time off I thought this would be the perfect time to "dive" into a new space sim.  

I'm not a fan of the fighter pilot role.  So a game that requires me to fly around in a little ship and shoot things is not my thing, however, if I'm leading a massive space Armada and laying waste to an entire system my holiday dreams will have come true.  I want to be the commander of a huge carrier/destroyer fleet, or piloting a huge trading vessel with fighter support.  I don't really care about an MMO (EVE) and like solo play over multi.

I have/love:

Sins of a solar empire

Gal Civ (I already have 3)

Starpoint Gemini 2

I want the real time games (similar to SPG 2, not an epic 4x).

I've got the space itch and I need to scratch it.  Any recommendations would be appreciated!  I tried to be specific for you guys so you can help me out ๐Ÿ™‚

Talathel
(@talathel)
Crewman Registered

You should try Ascent - The Space Game, it have 30 days trial (from here you can buy it from Desura if you like ite, it have premium but it cost just 0.99 $ or was it รขโ€šยฌ in month to get some extras, you will get 1 month premium when purchasing it in desura. It have planet landing, colonizating, mining, farming, fighter dogfights and more coming ๐Ÿ˜€

ReplyQuote
Roflord
(@roflord)
Crewman Registered

You should try Homeworld or Homeworld 2, those fit the description very well (they're more RTS than flight sim)

There's also Gratuitous Space Battles, but the strategy on that one's fully focused on how you prepare the fleet before going in and the rest is automatic, might be nice to try anyways.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

you only get to fly one ship in XRebirth although you can have a fleet of ships, the older X games start you off in a small ship but let you buy bigger ones as well as letting you build up a fleet of ships.

Their also Flotilla http://blendogames.com/flotilla/ and S.P.A.Z .  http://minmax-games.com/SpacePiratesAndZombies/SPAZ1.php or both can be found on Steam, GOG ect.

ReplyQuote
SerialKicked
(@serialkicked)
Petty Officer Registered

I can comment on the X games.

X:Rebirth is considered (rightly) the worse, by far, of the X-Universe games. It is very pretty (need quite a PC to run well), but buggy and extremely dull, it also lacks content, and part of the existing content is downright insulting (station interior especially).

X:TC and AP are much more complete games by themselves. I have numerous save games clocking not in hours but in months. It also has a very large modding community that has produced basically anything you'd want from a space sim, from little tweaks, better AI to full blown total conversions. However, the learning curve is extremely steep: simply put, the user interface is bad.

Originally, X games are mainly trading games. You can, of course, buy battleships, carriers, and other military ships. You'll need them to protect your trading routes and some of the best locations to make a profit are located in locations where a military presence is a must. But, it's not the main focus of the game. As said earlier, some mods can fix that.

Also, in the RTS genre, Distant Worlds. It's widely considered as the best space strategy game. It's more complex than the ones your listed, but it also features managers that will run parts of your empire while you concentrate on / learn things you're interested in. It's far from pretty, though.

Cheers,

SK.

ReplyQuote
tanga6005
(@tanga6005)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for all of the suggestions!  

I had been looking at Distant Worlds for some time and was not sure if I wanted to get into another "epic" empire builder, but it may have to happen.  

Someone had mentioned the Homeworld games (Homeworld 1 changed my life :))  

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

Just a bit of warning, Distant Worlds is very interesting but the UI is a disaster.  Prepare to be frustrated.  

ReplyQuote
tanga6005
(@tanga6005)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I actually held off on buying it because someone else told me that.  

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Star Wolves

StarSector

ReplyQuote
zzokalj
(@zzokalj)
Crewman Registered

As LGM Games Community Manager, first I wanna thank you for your support tanga6005. It means a lot to us and we appreciate it.

As for recommendation, I would suggest checking Limit Theory, it should be released in early 2015 and the whole game is done by one genious - Josh Parnell. I'm really amazed by the work he's done so far.

His last dev diary: 

And don't write Starpoint Gemini 2 off yet, we will continue to implement new features. Yesterday we introduced random triggered wars that can engulf whole sectors and we optimized a game even further for mid-price rigs along other features, updates and fixes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ReplyQuote