Notifications
Clear all

Oculus Rift Development Kit 2

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

I have to say I was not too impressed by Oculus when it was first announced but I have come round to it in the last year or so and I am really looking forward to seeing the commercial version of the Rift, hopefully in about a year.

Phaserlight
(@phaserlight)
Master Chief Registered

I've been waiting for something like this since... the early 2000's.

Glad to see Oculus forging ahead; now that Sony unveiled their own headset at GDC it looks like VR will really be a thing in the coming years.  What's fascinating about this is that it has so many more applications outside gaming; I think medical professionals, businesses, educational communities, and the military will all be interested in this technology.  Even NASA has shown a lot of interest.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Their a few of these devices around just been looking at Scott Manley video about Track IR.

He playing Lunar Flight here and it seem to work pretty well, but given the price of the thing I think I would rather wait for the Rift.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

I've been waiting for something like this since... the early 2000's.

Devices very similar to the Oculus were actually around in the 1990's and were periodically generating some hype in that decade.  This leads me to be very skeptical about the Oculus, although I would of course love to see it resolve all the VR problems and do quite well.

I will say this for the Oculus, I don't remember any similar device causing quite so much excitement and actual tangible investment on the part of software and hardware developers.  Also, I'm willing to bet that there are A LOT more development versions of the Oculus floating around then prototypes of any other similar device, which seems to validate it in some way, since there actually exist people who have used the thing.  

So, you never know.  I'm becoming more convinced just from the fact that people are still excited about it after... what?  2 years?  If it is successful, it will probably be the biggest single change in gaming ever.

ReplyQuote
Slanter
(@slanter)
Crewman Registered

Their a few of these devices around just been looking at Scott Manley video about Track IR.

He playing Lunar Flight here and it seem to work pretty well, but given the price of the thing I think I would rather wait for the Rift.

www.free-track.net/english/‎

That is a free head-tracking program that you can use with any webcam (I used a $12 ps3 eye for its high refresh rate,  you can even use xbox 360 webcams) and a "Clip" that I made with bits of a wire coathanger,  some infrared LED's from old TV remotes, and $5 worth of parts from radio shack, and it works great.  It has instructions on how to build the clip, and reviews for different webcams (you'll want to use one that has at least 60 frames per second to not have noticable lag)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

According to this news on incgamers http://www.incgamers.com/2014/03/oculus-facebook-deal-risks-alienating-supporters Oculus has been bought by Facebook for $2 billion.

Good or bad who knows, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

So much for that.

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

According to this news on incgamers http://www.incgamers.com/2014/03/oculus-facebook-deal-risks-alienating-supporters Oculus has been bought by Facebook for $2 billion.

Good or bad who knows, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

Uh-huh.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133241-Facebook-May-Rebrand-Oculus-Rift-Import-Interface

I can already imagine the nightmare going to happen.
T6H2neu.jpg

Whatever's happening, I would never expect anything positive from corporate devils like them. Especially these are well-known for selling private data.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

My enthusiasm for the Rift has some what diminished since this announcement but I will wait and see how it plays out.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Even though I think facebook is the physical (or perhaps cybernetic) manifestation of pure evil, and that Mark Zukerberg is the single most disgusting example of undeserved wealth and influence in the whole of human history, I must admit that it may be very difficult to avoid buying the oculus.  It is so specifically geared toward space-sims, and the early videos (especially of Elite: Dangerous) look so good that it may be hard to ignore.  It will present a moral dilemma for sure.

I think it will depend heavily on whether I spend much more time on Elite or SC.  If SC, I think the oculus will be mostly useless, since even the GTX 880 that I will have when SC is released will probably have a difficult time maintaining 120fps without substantially reducing graphical quality elsewhere.  Elite is another story.  We'll see.

In my mind Elite has been gaining ground on SC for quite a while, perhaps this will reverse things, I sure as hell don't want facebook strapped to my face.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

It's a bit of a dilemma having Facebook buy into it, if they keep their hands off Oculus and let them get on with the job of making it then so much the better as they will now have the finances to hopefully speed up development. On the other hand if they start monkeying around and insisting on some sort of integration with Facebook then they could crash and burn the whole project. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Farcebook wants to use drones to control the world!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)

Good God, this is why I seriously hate Zenimax.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/01/zenimax-carmack-stole-oculus-virtual-reality-facebook/

ReplyQuote
Phaserlight
(@phaserlight)
Master Chief Registered

It would be great if Zenimax actually got in on the VR current and helped Oculus to create some really gripping experiences.

Morrowind was such a great game back in the day; I still play it now and then on my old X-box original.  My brother is really into Skyrim also, which I believe already has an Oculus mod.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

According to this article on Engadget  http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/30/samsung-oculus-partnership/ Oculus is in partnership with Samsung for a mobile version of Oculus

sammyvrmock-2.jpg

Last week we told you about Samsung's unannounced virtual reality headset: a peripheral that enables VR interaction for flagship phones from the world's largest phone manufacturer. This week we've got far more details. First things first, Samsung's headset is the fruit of a collaboration with Oculus VR, the Facebook-owned virtual reality startup that both literally and figuratively kickstarted the current wave of VR products.

Oculus is handling the software side of the product, while Samsung handles the hardware. The deal is a swap: Oculus gives Samsung early access to its mobile software development kit and helps develop user interface software, while Samsung gives Oculus early access to its next-gen OLED screens. And yes, Oculus is still making its own, gaming-focused, PC-based virtual reality headset; that's why it needs next-gen, high-pixel-density OLED screens from Samsung. Join us below for new details about the device itself, as well as more on the unlikely partnership between two tech giants.

That mock up looks like one these 1970 3D viewers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View-Master

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@overlord)
Master Chief Registered

I think its a bad comparison to compare the Rift with TrackIR. I can see myself having both devices for different games/experiences.

From everything I've seen of people using the Rift it seems that in crosses the boundry between player and environment, that being the screen. You actually feel like you're in the 3D space. Whereas TrackIR is just another device thats good for enabling extra control with regular gaming.

Personally I cant wait to try the Rift. Shame facebook got their grubby mitts on it, thats true. But now the technology is here its only a matter of time before it or something else comes along.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

From everything I've seen of people using the Rift it seems that in crosses the boundry between player and environment, that being the screen. You actually feel like you're in the 3D space. Whereas TrackIR is just another device thats good for enabling extra control with regular gaming.

Same here that's way I am holding out for the Rift just hope it does not make me sick as a parrot when I am using it.

ReplyQuote
Rohade
(@rohade)
Petty Officer Registered

i've been waiting for this since 1986, waiting for mine on october, wish me luck.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

According to the techradar site http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/the-consumer-ready-oculus-rift-will-launch-in-public-beta-by-summer-2015-1265010 Oculus may be getting ready for to roll out the consumer version.

Oculus is keeping quiet on its plans for the launch of a consumer-ready version, but we've learned that the company is planning to roll out a public beta for the headset as early as April 2015.

Between $200 and $400 for it, $200 and it would be a yes buy but if they go for $400 then it going to be a maybe probably no for me.

ReplyQuote