Notifications
Clear all

Save Homeworld

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

With the banrupcy of THQ, the Homeworld IP looks to be up for sale and this website: http://savehomeworld.com

Is a indiegogo site that is trying to raise funds to buy the rights to the game IP and then hopefully bring Homeworld back again on mobile devices, with fixes and possible sequel. I hope they are successful, but they have a tough road ahead to raise the $50k they are looking for in 14 days.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Bit vague on details and would have thought Kickstarter would have given them more exposure than indiegogo.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

That's what I was thinking, but who knows, maybe they won't need as much as they think to get the Homeworld IP.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Indiegogo ... From the three CS sites I know, it is the worst.

ReplyQuote
Straker
(@straker)
Senior Chief Registered

Wouldn't the Homeworld IP simply end up with whatever company takes THQ into receivership?

ie: They'd probably sell it's IP for much less than what THQ would have.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Had a quick look around the gaming site and could not see anything about it, you think they would have sent out announcement to the major PC gaming site about it.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Dunno, but this entire thing doesn't sound quite right to me. It feels like a scam to me, for some reason, but I could very well be wrong.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I would have liked to know what their sum of money would be? 50k to help buy an older IP that probably isn't selling anymore is probably a good deal and might get it less than that. I think the extra money was to help any further development of the IP in the end. But it would be nice to see this series come back again..... so what to do?

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

its a shame 8 days left to get 39k i dont see that working out

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Why indiegogo, why...

Tbqh homeworld was an amazing game due to storytelling and great music. Not easy to replicate.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Why indiegogo,

From what I have read Indiegogo takes the money straight away regardless weather or not the target is met.

Unlike Kickstarter where the target has to be hit before the money is transferred.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

PINBACK wrote:
From what I have read Indiegogo takes the money straight away regardless weather or not the target is met.

Unlike Kickstarter where the target has to be hit before the money is transferred.

You read correctly. They give the money back if it is unsuccessful. It would be mostly the same if your credit card company didn't take the chance to charge you commissions twice - at least was hat happened to me :(.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

Wait, who are these guys?

Who is teamPixel?

So who...or what...is teamPixel?  teamPixel is an interactive media company, and for over 8 years we have specialized in web design, web development, desktop software, and mobile applications.  Yes, this means we are relatively new to the gaming industry (we actually have made games on commission for local companies), but entering the video game industry for ourselves was always a goal for the company.  All of our work in other interactive mediums has been preparation for this.  To us, everything is gameplay design and development, whether it be the menus in a program or the buttons on a website.

Oh.

So what I took from this is that these people don't have a freaking CLUE how to develop a game. What's more, they have NOTHING to do with Homeworld. That's like me hiring a camera-man, script writer, and actors, and saying I'm going to buy the license for, and remake Bladrunner.

There is a reason this thing has only gotten 12k. What a joke. Let sleeping dogs lie. 

ReplyQuote
Wolfey180
(@wolfey180)
Crewman Registered

Aw man... I forgot THQ made this.. This game is part of my childhood, and kinda piqued my interest in scfi!

ReplyQuote