Notifications
Clear all

To be or not to be...

Vilehead
(@dronelocker)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hi guys. I have a question... From the day I've joined our little space community over here, I came to know dozens of space games that I never heard about before. Which is awesome because space genre is by far my favorite. But there is a problem...

You see, I am making one.

Its kind of a FTL with less tactical and more arcade combat. More pressure put on adventure and exploration element. With high replayablity as not only the game world is randomly generate but you can also restart the game with some bonuses you've managed to obtain in previous playthrough. Plus quite unique storyline.

Sounds cool? Well... Yea. Just like 98034757612 other games currently on steam. And new popping out daily...

To the point where I start to question should I actually continue developing this one. I am afraid it will sink in the ocean of similar games. I am worried that no one's gonna see it in the crowd. Apparently, space games are The Thing now, and the market is flooded with them. Which is good, because suddenly we have tons of stuff to play for months! But everybody's wallets are the same. No one can afford to buy every single space game. If someone purchase another space game - he won't have the money to spend on my creation. And its not even about the money really. Just the fact that there is a risk that... I make something and nobody will see it. Or/and play it... Then what's the point? So I am kind of a depressed right now.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Hard to say as you rightly point out you are unlikely to get rich as it a crowded market and the challenge can be huge.Although their are always the bragging right at being able to point to it and say I did that.

But ultimately you have to make that decision yourself, if you think it's worth the time and money to do it.

ReplyQuote
piotrintes
(@piotrintes)
Senior Chief Registered

Well, I had same problem. But after all I've decided to go on with my project, and put it into this forum. And I think it was good idea. Mayby I do not have any big community etc, premiere of second episode of my game was almost silent (I only know that at least three people downloaded it) but after all my project EXISTS. I just advice you to make your game accesable for free. If it is commercial project then at least make a good demo with actual version without any bugs. Because noone realy wants to sent money on just "something which sounds great", especialy when there are similar games.

Banner1.jpg

ReplyQuote
Vilehead
(@dronelocker)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hard to say as you rightly point out you are unlikely to get rich as it a crowded market and the challenge can be huge.Although their are always the bragging right at being able to point to it and say I did that.

But ultimately you have to make that decision yourself, if you think it's worth the time and money to do it.

Haha! Hi Pinback! Long time no see! 🙂 5 years passed quick. Well I do have some unique game elements that you cannot find anywhere else. I am also worried will they be enough to stand out of the crowd.

Well, I had same problem. But after all I've decided to go on with my project, and put it into this forum. And I think it was good idea. Mayby I do not have any big community etc, premiere of second episode of my game was almost silent (I only know that at least three people downloaded it) but after all my project EXISTS. I just advice you to make your game accesable for free. If it is commercial project then at least make a good demo with actual version without any bugs. Because noone realy wants to sent money on just "something which sounds great", especialy when there are similar games.

Banner1.jpg

Well the game has to be monetized this way or another. I have bills to pay and family to feed. I am not in situation to develop game for heck of it. At least... not yet.

You know what guys? I'll give some samples of the game art. And you tell me does it look interesting. (Warning! Big Pictures!)

Planets

Structures

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Personally that has always been the deterrent for me making myself learn how to code and make a game from scratch was being rewarded for my time. I have come to the conclusion that its just luck and maybe having the right idea and implementation of that idea to strike it big. Because there is a huge amount of scifi fans out there and yes they have probably played hundreds of these types of games and are you really going to show them something new.... probably not.

But if it can be presented in a different manor add a bit of challenge to the game you might have something but its getting that right blend of features and ideas. I take myself for instance, I have seen and played a lot of games and I pass on a ton of games. Why? I am getting picky in my old age and if I don't see a game with the features I would like I don't even bother or give it the chance, its just the way I am right now. I turn down so many game reviews because of this because I look at the features and I know its a game I may not want to play so why write a review for something I wouldn't buy for myself.

I think what does in a lot of games is early access, yeah it may help the developer at first but more than not it harms them because then the negative reviews and comments come possibly killing new sales.

Yeah its a chance making a new game, if your passionate enough and listen to your fans and are creative with marketing you can be successful or least enough to get your name out there. Look back in the forums and see how long Void Destroyer or Salvation Prophecy were discussed before they get released on digital distribution... years. It took years to get those games made by solo devs, do you have the drive to take it slow and make it the best you can because in scifi the minor detail crap matters to us nerds 🙂

I want to learn the UDK blueprint system and maybe remake an atari game or something to get my feet wet and I will do it just for fun and see what the reaction is. Crap I would love to stay home and have SSC pay the bills but I doubt that will ever happen.... and I do mean ever. 🙂

So the decision is yours, if you have the passion to make a game, then do it for yourself and if you get paid then you do. Just work part-time on it and get it out while you work a day job. I don't think I could just risk it all and do it full-time, its risky, but I am also not a game developer 🙂

ReplyQuote
Vilehead
(@dronelocker)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Personally that has always been the deterrent for me making myself learn how to code and make a game from scratch was being rewarded for my time. I have come to the conclusion that its just luck and maybe having the right idea and implementation of that idea to strike it big. Because there is a huge amount of scifi fans out there and yes they have probably played hundreds of these types of games and are you really going to show them something new.... probably not.

But if it can be presented in a different manor add a bit of challenge to the game you might have something but its getting that right blend of features and ideas. I take myself for instance, I have seen and played a lot of games and I pass on a ton of games. Why? I am getting picky in my old age and if I don't see a game with the features I would like I don't even bother or give it the chance, its just the way I am right now. I turn down so many game reviews because of this because I look at the features and I know its a game I may not want to play so why write a review for something I wouldn't buy for myself.

I think what does in a lot of games is early access, yeah it may help the developer at first but more than not it harms them because then the negative reviews and comments come possibly killing new sales.

Yeah its a chance making a new game, if your passionate enough and listen to your fans and are creative with marketing you can be successful or least enough to get your name out there. Look back in the forums and see how long Void Destroyer or Salvation Prophecy were discussed before they get released on digital distribution... years. It took years to get those games made by solo devs, do you have the drive to take it slow and make it the best you can because in scifi the minor detail crap matters to us nerds 🙂

I want to learn the UDK blueprint system and maybe remake an atari game or something to get my feet wet and I will do it just for fun and see what the reaction is. Crap I would love to stay home and have SSC pay the bills but I doubt that will ever happen.... and I do mean ever. 🙂

So the decision is yours, if you have the passion to make a game, then do it for yourself and if you get paid then you do. Just work part-time on it and get it out while you work a day job. I don't think I could just risk it all and do it full-time, its risky, but I am also not a game developer 🙂

Hii Dark! 😀 Happy to read you again.

I must say that you actually managed to inspire me again. So I got back to work. And you can see the result of that HERE.

It feel so weird. Being back here. Like the circle is closing...

ReplyQuote