Notifications
Clear all

Infinity, Noctis, Space Engine, and Others

Page 1 / 2

bchimself
(@bchimself)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I'm wondering if you guys have seen or know anything about this game. It's been on my radar for some time now, but they have yet to release anything good (they've released a small battle simulator but it has nothing to do w/ the planets or anything good).

Let me know what you guys think. If a topic about this has already been posted, I appologize.

Here's a link to a great YT video of Infinity:

Tech Demo

Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

I'd assume most of us have heard of it. It looks amazing so far but I personally hate online gaming so I'll probably give it a miss (if it ever gets finished). I do have hope they'll add a sp mode later on though.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Yeah we know about Infinity and frequently drool over eye-candy (well some of us do that 😉 )

InfinityAdmin's old dev-blogs are a nice source of ideas too.

ReplyQuote
bchimself
(@bchimself)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Do you guys know about Noctis? Its graphics are terrible, but the gameplay is (would be) amazing, especially with better graphics. Also, the ability to catalog unexplored planets and share them with the community, while keeping it SP, was very fun.

NOCTIS YOUTUBE LINK:

One thing I loved about Noctis was the ability to leave your ship via a space elevator that would drop you down in a pod on the planet.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

I've played Noctis before, its a shame the dude never finished the updated version (Noctis V).

But yes it was pretty spectacular with its variety of planets, alien plant and animal species, alien ruins and all that 🙂

ReplyQuote
UncleBob
(@unclebob)
Master Chief Registered

Infinity is vapourware, as sad as that may seem. I don't consider it any more likely to ever see the light of day than Elite IV.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Quote:
Infinity is vapourware, as sad as that may seem. I don't consider it any more likely to ever see the light of day than Elite IV.

Perhaps we could put a snarky ad about it in a space station. (Just kidding)

Quote:
I've played Noctis before, its a shame the dude never finished the updated version (Noctis V).

Maybe an ad about it too? 😉 I liked Noctis a lot. That space elevator (a way to avoid a continuous transition from orbit to the surface) reminded me of a catnip ball on a string. I found a planet named Frodo that had an unnamed moon. I named it Sam. 😀

ReplyQuote
bchimself
(@bchimself)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Marcel wrote:
That space elevator (a way to avoid a continuous transition from orbit to the surface) reminded me of a catnip ball on a string. I found a planet named Frodo that had an unnamed moon. I named it Sam. 😀

I lol'd 😆

ReplyQuote
bchimself
(@bchimself)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

What about Space Engine?

SPACE ENGINE YOUTUBE VIDEO:

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

These games hold absolutely no interest for me, which goes for all games which are available only for Windows. Pioneer offers more than one kind of freedom.

ReplyQuote
bchimself
(@bchimself)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Brianetta wrote:
These games hold absolutely no interest for me, which goes for all games which are available only for Windows. Pioneer offers more than one kind of freedom.

Which is why I'm still playing Pioneer over these other games. Though, there is always something you can learn or take away from these games to hopefully make Pioneer the best out there.

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

Infinity: Looks cool, but is a MMO. I check for new dev blogs every now and then.

Space Engine: shows what one person can do when you have talent and can target modern systems from the start. I'm not sure if it will ever be a game. I know the author has ambitions for entirely peaceful gameplay, which is commendable, but I'm skeptical.

Noctis: I'm not sure if I have ever actually played this, but remember having tried. It's a DOS game with weird controls. Everything about it is weird.

Let's also add: Spaceway, another procedural-space adventure. Haven't tried it.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
Though, there is always something you can learn or take away from these games to hopefully make Pioneer the best out there.

Exactly, he doesnt know what he's missing out on 🙂 Frontier and ffe were never released for Linux 😉

You can't be a true gamer if you refuse to bend over backwards on the odd occasion to experience a *real* gem. 😉

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

s2odan wrote:
Quote:
Though, there is always something you can learn or take away from these games to hopefully make Pioneer the best out there.

Exactly, he doesnt know what he's missing out on 🙂 Frontier and ffe were never released for Linux 😉

You can't be a true gamer if you refuse to bend over backwards on the odd occasion to experience a *real* gem. 😉

I doesn't? I worked on X2 and X3... for free. More than a little bending there.

Frontier and FFE ran just fine on Caldera OpenDOS, which I was running at the time they came out.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
I doesn't? I worked on X2 and X3... for free. More than a little bending there.

😉 Yeah but they did release it on linux.

But seriously its good to try these other games, if only to see what new things were tried and what worked out and was fun.

Orbiter has very functional information displays (MFDs or Multi Function Displays in Orbiter) among other things.

Noctis shows how exploration can be fun, in-fact the whole game is just about exploration. But tbh to fans of Frontier you won't be picking up anything new that your imagination didn't provide you originally 😉 Although its still a nice example of another procedural galaxy.

ReplyQuote
bchimself
(@bchimself)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
s2odan wrote:
Noctis shows how exploration can be fun, in-fact the whole game is just about exploration. But tbh to fans of Frontier you won't be picking up anything new that your imagination didn't provide you originally 😉 Although its still a nice example of another procedural galaxy.

I've always thought a mixture of Noctis/Pioneer (and a dash of the Spore Space stage) combined with Minecraft would make the best game ever invented.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

infinity u can follow him on twitter is now moving ahead will have a possible alpha testing by March his hired some staff has licensed the engine has funds and is moving towards a late 2012 beta testing is also considering minecraft type of prebeta access

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

s2odan wrote:

😉 Yeah but they did release it on linux.

That was much later...

Seriously, though, I've grown much more freetarded in my old age. Orbiter might not cost anything, but it isn't free software, and it doesn't run on a free operating system. Here I'm using free in the "not jailed" sense.

ReplyQuote
jtmedina
(@jtmedina)
Petty Officer Registered

SpaceEngine is simply AWESOME and I love it. I installed it a few weeks ago and I love being able to explore the whole universe. it's still in beta but it's pointing in the right direction specially in the graphical aspect.

SpaceEngine could become a combination of Celestia and Orbiter.

Here there is a TODO list.

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/21-11-1

As comparing Pioneer with SpaceEngine I think they are different games. I enjoy both but I never narrow my scope simply because one is just for one platform. I am always open to new ideas and new games specially when we have so many calls of duty and very few space simulators out there.

Here a few videos I made myself.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

jtmedina wrote:
I never narrow my scope simply because one is just for one platform.

Neither do I, although if something is only released on a platform that I don't have, then I can't run it. If it isn't free software, then I can't even try to port it.

ReplyQuote
jtmedina
(@jtmedina)
Petty Officer Registered

Brianetta wrote:
jtmedina wrote:
I never narrow my scope simply because one is just for one platform.

Neither do I, although if something is only released on a platform that I don't have, then I can't run it. If it isn't free software, then I can't even try to port it.

There is one major OS, Windows. Then you have Linux with all its flavors and finally Leopard OS which is for the guy who is willing to pay €2000 for an Apple PC.

Most of the games and apps are programmed for Windows. Sticking just on Linux is not only unwise but you'll miss what's available on windows which means you are missing the 90%.

Don't get me wrong I really like Linux specially Ubuntu and Free OS sounds ideal but I think almost everyone has €70 which is the price of a licence of Windows 7 home premium... sticking on the "If it isn't free software then I can't even try to port it" is in my opinion a very narrow point of view.

Have fun and open your mind.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

jtmedina wrote:
Sticking just on Linux is not only unwise but you'll miss what's available on windows which means you are missing the 90%.

I switched from DOS to Linux in 1994. It's been my primary OS for seventeen years. I work with Windows as my day job in IT. I don't need you to tell me that my politics (and my ethics, too, for that matter) are unwise. Software freedom is very important to me - far more important than the risk of missing out on a computer game. That's one of the reasons why I founded Tyneside Linux User Group back in the 20th century. That's without getting into the Windows security track record.

It's nothing to do with having a closed mind. It's to do with having had the time to evaluate my position, and to put my money where my mouth is. I don't need Windows. I never have. It's not worth getting hold of it because you think I'm not getting exposed to enough computer games.

ReplyQuote
jtmedina
(@jtmedina)
Petty Officer Registered

Brianetta wrote:
jtmedina wrote:
Sticking just on Linux is not only unwise but you'll miss what's available on windows which means you are missing the 90%.

I switched from DOS to Linux in 1994. It's been my primary OS for seventeen years. I work with Windows as my day job in IT. I don't need you to tell me that my politics (and my ethics, too, for that matter) are unwise. Software freedom is very important to me - far more important than the risk of missing out on a computer game. That's one of the reasons why I founded Tyneside Linux User Group back in the 20th century. That's without getting into the Windows security track record.

It's nothing to do with having a closed mind. It's to do with having had the time to evaluate my position, and to put my money where my mouth is. I don't need Windows. I never have. It's not worth getting hold of it because you think I'm not getting exposed to enough computer games.

I think you live in a beautiful bubble with too much ego.

Bye.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Youngsters (-:

ReplyQuote
jtmedina
(@jtmedina)
Petty Officer Registered

Brianetta wrote:
Youngsters (-: