Notifications
Clear all

Is it time to start requiring shaders?

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

As you know, Pioneer has two renderers - a "legacy" shaderless renderer, and a more modern renderer that uses shaders.

The shader support requires OpenGL 2.0 which has been around since 2004 and widely supported in graphics hardware since 2007.

We're now at the point where were starting to get enough changes requiring shaders in the core code that its becoming difficult to maintain. It would be good if we could drop the legacy renderer entirely and start requiring shaders.

You probably fit into one of three categories:

• You have vaguely modern equipment and you're already using shaders, and removing legacy wouldn't make a difference (if you don't know which renderer you're using, you're probably using the modern one, since its the default)
  • Your hardware can support shaders, but you don't run with it enabled (perhaps due to glitches or slowness). Running with shaders would be possible, but inconvenient
  • You have no shader support, and Pioneer would be unplayable

That second point is particularly interesting. The intent is that we'd start to provide shaders that provide different quality settings. That might not happen straight away though, but if the demand was high it'd likely happen sooner.

So help us decide by answering the poll. Thanks!

Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

For me shaders are always on ..

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Always with shaders except when I had glitches caused by the eclipse effect + ati drivers.

ReplyQuote
Zordey
(@zordey)
Senior Chief Registered

Since I think I originally overturned this rock, i'll say that I did turn off shaders on my work machine for performance reasons. 

Recently however I have found that enabling shaders and disabling the eclipse shader from the config allows me to run acceptably well.

I voted 1 (since its not inconvenient for 'me')  but having finer control of which shaders are used (and making the options easier to access for users) would IMO be a useful feature for average users.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

@Zordey, it wasn't you, I've been pushing for this for ages 😉

it's really starting to get in the way of stuff I want to do or seen done.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

gogo shaders!! 🙂

Much eyecandy to be had if legacy is to be dropped.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I voted 1 (since its not inconvenient for 'me')  but having finer control of which shaders are used (and making the options easier to access for users) would IMO be a useful feature for average users.

Definitely. That's the "quality settings" I mentioned in the original post.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

As an outsider, I wouldn't vote - but you gotta ditch the legacy stuff sometime.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

1 person voted that it would become unplayable, would they mind sharing the reason it would be unplayable?

Does yo/there gpu not support OpenGL 2.0?

Can it not be upgraded (laptop)?

Is the performance too slow with shaders?

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Can it not be upgraded (laptop)?

We still see this every so often on the Oolite forum - the early intel integrated gfx are mierda!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

@Cody, yes the Intel "GPUs" are just a bag of shit, they're 99.99% of the problem whatever the OS.

Can't let them hold back progress forever though.

EDIT: I should add that I have one of the newer Intel GPUs that will run the game, a HD4000, however it's slow as a dog and so I use the nVidia 650M whenever it's possible to do so.

My most wonderful, fevered dream is that Intel license the nVidia GPUs now that it's become an option and drop these crappy things. Even the GOOD Intel GPUs are still slower than the low/mid range nVidia ones.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

To be fair, Intel GPUs are only intended for "incidental" graphics work like desktop compositing. They were never really meant for the kind of demand games put on them, even though they can handle some low-end stuff. And the power consumption is an issue on laptops - firing up the Nvidia when I'm on battery leads to a fairly short session at the computer and thus a rather disappointing train ride home 😉

My Intel is a HD3000. It plays Pioneer fine, just slow. Once we have a "low quality" set of shaders, I'll be running on those most of the time.

ReplyQuote
csory
(@csory)
Crewman Registered

Shaders on. All the time. Just add the "low quality" option - never hurts 🙂

ReplyQuote
FS3D
 FS3D
(@fs3d)
Crewman Registered

I've been using sharers for years. Had an 8800GTS from 2007 to 2011, then got myself a GTX 470, so no problem there.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

2 people say unplayable but still no explanation as to why :/

ReplyQuote
Zordey
(@zordey)
Senior Chief Registered

Both my work and home laptops when using the inbuilt Intel 3000 graphics play at <10fps so I would say unplayable .

It would be interesting if the 2 'unplayable' votes could try and turn off the eclipse shader in the config and see if this changes their vote. 

Turning off the eclipse shader pushes both my machines to 30+ fps

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Maybe we should parse the opengl vendor string for the word "Intel" and just turn off stuff like that by default - meaning on for everyone else by default, but requires turning it on manually if using Intel?

Perhaps with a warning message to let players know.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Maybe we should parse the opengl vendor string for the word "Intel" and just turn off stuff like that by default

<nods> We do something similar in Oolite for specific problems.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

@Cody, hmm, that's a shame I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary these days :/

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I'd just put the eclipse shader in the "medium" or "high" quality setting and leave it at that.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I'd just put the eclipse shader in the "medium" or "high" quality setting and leave it at that.

Wouldn't it better to have it as a separate flag? In my setup it's the only shader effect that gives problems. I don't want to accidentally disable other effects.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Possibly. Depends what else ends up in those categories. Right now we don't have enough shader variation to really warrant any changes to settings, but I expect we will.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

I suppose eventually we can have a shader config screen with a simple quality slider and checkboxes for custom settings - for now though, a simple toggle button to enable or disable it and disable by default for certain makes of GPU (Intel).

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Ok, it looks pretty clear that most people can cope with shaders, and turning the eclipse effect off helps a lot for people using machines with little graphics power. The extra development effort required to maintain a shader-free graphics implementation that very few people use does not seem worthwhile.

So, we have a decision: We will remove the legacy (shader-free) graphics code. Exactly when that happens depends on when someone finds time to go through and rip it all out, but I would guess it'll be done within a couple of months from now.

I would still like to hear from the two people who've said the game is unplayable with shaders enabled. Perhaps we can find some other way to fix the game so that you can run it with shaders enabled. Specific questions: Does the game not run at all, or does it run but with performance too bad to play? Is it still unplayable with the eclipse effect turned off? What graphics card/chip do you have?

John B

ReplyQuote