Notifications
Clear all

Non-Static Static Ships

fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I recall there being a script which caused the large static ships parked outside space stations to travel around between them and generally behave more like traders do.

Does anyone have a copy of that script and can I have a copy of it?

Does it work with the current Pioneer build?

- If not do you know which version it did work with?

Failing all of the above would anyone be able to create such a script again and share it with us?

I ask because whilst I am certain that I could eventually figure it out myself it is not my area of expertise and I am already swamped with real-life work plus several other Pioneer related PR's and branches.

With Nozmajner working on a new large, probably, static ship it would be nice to have them travelling between systems even if the script is only released as a mod.

Thankyou,

Andy

walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

I do not know what your idea, but, BulkShips.lua expected, long ago, a ship like that. 

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Not quite. The "Bulkships.lua" seems to spawn them but then they are just left floating outside space stations.

I'm actually referencing a script that I remember someone making that made them fly around between stations and star systems like regular traders.

It might be as simple as adding support for the STATIC_SHIP type to the trader script but I was hoping that someone would remember or have it.

Andy

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

If I remember correctly, you need to add hyperdrives to the big static ships, they will then be picked by tradeships.lua.

There might be some AI exceptions somewhere preventing the class to do AI, but I can't recall.

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

Won't they try to dock then too?

I don't think that it will fit to the docks.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Until now it looks like this:

bignose1.png

bignose3.png

bignose4.png

bignose5.png

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Yes I want them to only use the static docking locations external to space stations, but to travel between them.

Nevermind I guess I'll just have to dig around and play about with it.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

If I remember correctly, you need to add hyperdrives to the big static ships, they will then be picked by tradeships.lua.

There might be some AI exceptions somewhere preventing the class to do AI, but I can't recall.

Great thanks for the tip 🙂

Also good to see you around again!

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

You should think about a new type of propulsion, otherwise, the gas giants will end reduced to the size of Pluto.  😀

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes I want them to only use the static docking locations external to space stations, but to travel between them.

Nevermind I guess I'll just have to dig around and play about with it.

If it helps Fluffy, Sol Command made some really nice stations that could perhaps serve as docking rigs for these big beasts. His site is here. I don't know though how difficult it would be to get them into Pioneer.

You should think about a new type of propulsion, otherwise, the gas giants will end reduced to the size of Pluto.  😀

A good point there walterar and I am guessing it is not as simple to solve as giving them infinite fuel like Brainetta's journey to the centre of the galaxy script did these days.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

I'm writing a new mission (I am pirate  ) which is to attack a Longnose carrying a very, very valuable cargo.

My question is: Will it serve cargo scoop to pick up beer in space?   

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

At least the beer will be chilled walterar.

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator

I'm actually referencing a script that I remember someone making that made them fly around between stations and star systems like regular traders.

Tradeships.lua does that for any non-atmosphere capable ship, if I remember correctly.

I wonder if there is much point in having flying bulk ships since we don't exactly see ships in transit, only when they're at a station, so I think the primary purpose of bulk ships is to sit outside stations and look cool.

I ask because whilst I am certain that I could eventually figure it out myself it is not my area of expertise...

I think I'm fairly familiar with that code, on the lua side at least. Unfortunately, I don't have much time this month, but I could look into it later.

I'm currently playing around with having a pirate system, where the BBS has some special adverts, there's no police, and some other fun/special stuff. nozmajner and I discussed that it would be cool if the pirate space station was a converted bulkship with external docking/landing capabilities, just to differentiate this pirate system a bit more from the procedural ones.  ... so external docking/landing capabilities for stations (and a special converted bulkship) would be cool: #3071

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@fluffyfreak

Now we have AIDockWith, Undock, and GetDockedWith

To do that, you need AIParkWith, Unpark, and GetParkedWith

You dare?

ReplyQuote