Notifications
Clear all

Pioneer Musical Appreciation Society

Page 14 / 47

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Frequently played in my house, is Obscured by Clouds - a great album, and the soundtrack from La Vallée, which was an excellent movie.

The track Childhood's End was inspired by Arthur C. Clarke's fifties sci-fi novel of the same name - a highly recommended read.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Currently playing in Chez Cody - an old Donovan song, given the Airplane treatment.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

...it follows me everywhere i go.

---

something for a typical saturday night

---

after the show,

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

a jazzy sunday ev'ybody

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

AoxoToxoA is still alive and playing 🙂

visit their website here:

http://www.aoxotoxoa.com/

and have some fun fumbling around with one of my pictures

you can use it also as a linking page to other grateful-dead cover bands

i will link SSC in the guestbook as well, though the boys can see what i'm up to when i don't jump around like a cat on a hot plate.

last weekend was the unique "HAS club festival", which means 4 days of music and fun

and nothing but music and fun (overall 40! bands was playing).

if yours ever are occasionally in october in switzerland and if you like LOUD rock-music i can only recommend to visit this happening.

excerpts of it i can't present you, the HAS club is extremly tiny, 150 ppl and a camera won't work 🙂 though the camera has to stay outside.

"we are prob. not the best in what we do,

but we are the only ones who do it".

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I've been away and now I am back!   And I see more posts in this most venerable music thread, ok time for something decidedly 60s "ish". 😎

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I've been away and now I am back!

<grins> Welcome back, space girl!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

no music, but a timeless piece of art (it's spoken german, but it won't matter for the sense of it)

lion:

"if i wouldn't be so blonde..."

animals:

"...we know, you would turn black because of anger"

enjoy it

@geraldine

disturbingly good psychedelic-electronic-rock, if i see a evolution in music i guess yes it will lead in such a direction.

it's build well, leaks of a singer or do they have tracks with lyrics as well?

"we" found out (at the party) music means so much more with a human voice,

i talked with some of the musicians (which is no wonder 40 bands 150 ppl, not many non musicians, ok some of the musicians play in more as one band) about that topic and that i like minimal and house to, one said that he's a DJ in a club, but to play rock music means much more to him.

i was also surprised to see young ppl dancing to beatles (in a pause) i had to ask them if they like the beatles and they answered with a "certainly".

@cody

cool cartoon, like the jazzy track, maybe it's not as inventive as the one geraldine posted, but it's cool easy listening stuff.

charming voice.

the music is pleasing the ear, very professional though.

---

"toxo" is very different

i liked the light show one of the members made, handcrafted as well.

two ppl can sit together in a small wooden housing, each has two pedals to control two mirrored flaps which cover/uncover the colored lights,

in back of the tiny stage are mirrors mounted to reflect the "lightshow", the mirrors you can control with a handle to flip them from left to right or let them jump up and down.

it's absolutely contrary to computers and electronics, but i like it much.

i like this idea of working together and it's simplicity, anyone can control such a lightshow, just get in the groove and there you go.

it's the idea of starting it all over again i like so much.

probably in time i can post a picture or a short clip of that.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

@cody

cool cartoon, like the jazzy track, maybe it's not as inventive as the one geraldine posted, but it's cool easy listening stuff.

charming voice. the music is pleasing the ear, very professional though.

Eliza Carthy is a very talented lady - here she is live:

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Very nice indeed Commander Cody.   Now, a bit of coolness from Mr Hendrix....

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

RIP Jack Bruce - a great bassist and songwriter!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I just heard the news! Another music legend gone to join all the others. May he rest in peace.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This one is dedicated to Walterar!

Great to see you back Walterar!

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

and this is dedicated to all the amiga users here

yeah nice to hear from you, i know

christmas 'n all that tard, you know...

also a system breakdown (again, but again my own fault, tried to experiment a bit)

further i'm hangin out with my old love Intellivision

bought me a "brand new" Inty (looks like brand new, like it would have been never used, little expensive but the condition is fantastic)

i'm impatiantly awaiting the mail

something space related,

Intellivision (now intelligentvision) has a couple of unreleased or unfinished games from the 80's

one is named "Space Shuttle"

and it's a fantastic game for '83

that's really a good game and i would have freaked out as a boy about it,

you have to fly a mission with the shuttle and pick up satellites, not easy, you have to get close and load the satellite with a crane in the bay.

it supports Intellivoice and unlike other games it's used in a senseful way, "mission control" gives you actual advices for the mission.

"danger - space debris"

i love it!

the controls in orbit are cool, you don't control the curse with the ship, means you can rotate but you stay on course,

to change the course you have to change the orbit, that's really clever made for a game from this time.

As soon as you're in range of a satellite you can switch to "manual" flight mode to get close to the satellite.

the crane i still can't control well, but i managed it once to load one (yeah).

No question this would have been another first in his genre, a shuttle simulator.

Unfortunately it's unfinished (while it's not to clear to me what is unfinished at this game, you can start, load the satellite, repair, unload, land and finish the mission).

It was never published in it's time, but it's downloadable now, i hope they will give it a try to finish it, because a few unfinished they already finished,

since there is some interest in the inty, which fascinates me, young fellows start to program in BASIC and we old incl. devs are totally surprised by this.

Another worth to try but homebrew game is iStar, which is as far as i know a clone of Astar (atari) or Dstar (z80).

it's a cute type of maze game and not easy, i guess it's this what fascinates the young about these simple games, they aren't easy to play, it's challanging.

Didn't knew that they made some "rude" games, "Space c*nt" yes you readed right, it's in general a Astrosmash, nothing else and uses the voice only to spell the title.

"developers choice" 😉

overall i was doing a time warp, have a look at this cool tennis game:

it's from 1958

but this game has even a predecessor,

the "Cathode ray tube amusement device" from 1947,

didn't found a clip of it so far, but it seems to be a sort of "missile command" game.

both was never released to the public, obviously, them are monster machines.

yeah i know you thought of "Magnavox" or the "Brown Box"?

truely yes, when i saw "Magnavox" it refreshed my rinse of a memory and i immediatly remembered "daddy made a lightgun game for me"

but the "Brown Box" is worth to take a look at.

A sort of "Ping-Pong" very similar to "Magnavox"s "Table Tennis" (or with whatever layer you covered the screen,

funny one and the same game just different layers and make from "Tabble Tennis" a "Hockey"), even the controls for the "Brown Box" equal to "Magnavox".

Further yes, i was hanging out with "SimCopter" and "Streets of SimCity", for which i found a cool solution to run them flawless on my 64bit win7.

Especially "Streets" and i guess until i published my clips how to manage this, no one found a proper solution to get rid of the steady hopping cars, but "DXWnd" does the job.

Even i was suspecting either memory or frequency will be the reason, but it's in general only that DX6 and 7 since long isn't anymore supported.

Many old games can be played again with this little helper proggy and it surprises me that it's relatively unknown.

Intentionally it's to run fullscreen DX apps in a window (i guess that's why most didn't guess it will hep to run old softs)

but apart from the really good working windowed modes and a free scalable window for whatever game you wish, it helps to run old DX game releases.

A very well made made piece of software.

found that one on a simcopter release, it's a demo made with simtunes, but it's by far the best one of them, the other demos are good as well, but i like that funky tune.

and one for "the psychedelic freak"

whatever that is:

iStar_overlay_zps1e6ec43f.png

und dann noch etwas krautrock von "das raumpiloten"

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

ok this time silence (no don't play "silence", that's no good idea)

here comes the little green man

redshirt.gif

he will blow you down

"Space Wars"?

i hope i get this right,

quote:

"Space Wars (and further all computergames) is a great chance for worldpeace"

It was (unlike the above demo or it's predecessor) a work of Hackers, which abused a industrial technology to their own benefit,

to the benifit of humans.

It was the first time man didn't served the machine, vice versa the machine served man just for entertainment.

It's goal wasn't productivity nor financial gain.

I would like to broadcast above quote worldwide,

best i would like to exchange with this for let's say 24h the stock exchange news, worldwide on every newschannel,

which never stop even not when 1000s of ppl die caused by a catastrophe or by human blindness.

http://www.wheels.org/spacewar/stone/rolling_stone.html

got it?

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

RIP Edgar Froese...

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

🙁

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

tangerine dream, when i was in berlin 1990 to see "the Wall", we was watching a movie of them, it was at a exhibition only for tangerine dream.

tichy why 🙁 and not 🙂

we must all die, there is no way getting around this, i think already RIP is something stupid, there is no rest and no peace, because there is nothing such left.

it's the end of the line and personally i'm convinced if you are aware of that, if you look in the eyes of dead, you turn to a different person,

loving life much more and you will have far more respect to all living creatures, because

1) that's not easy, it blows our mind, it exceeds our imagination not to exist, but one can learn to face it

2) there will be no hope or guessing you could end up "better" as someone else, because you was a "better man" for which reason ever, nothing counts,

not intellect, not name, not status, not money - "i got no hair and no color i even didn't have a gender"

3) the logical conclusion is, you stop to judge you can't see yourself as something better, you can't think i'm more worthy as others if there is no afterlife,

no "compensation" or "wage".

the only things which live eternally are our good works, bad works will vanish in time, just like the biggest kingdoms have vanished (solomon? yeah he often said such).

in priciples the fate of "Hiob" should tell us this, but rel ppl. turn everthing upside down,

they take everything literally and put a golden frame around single words even single letters instead to think about the sense.

you can be the most rightous and "godly" ever, it won't prevent you from fate and dead.

easy as 1) 2) 3)

What's left are our thoughts and creations, they can be carried in the collective memory of humankind forever, that's "eternity" to me,

we have no idea who invented the wheel, but for sure his work is never forgotten.

but one condition it has, mankind must survive for this, not a single examplary.

and what does that ask of us humans?

consequnce in life and respect to your sister/brother

should i change the rules for "pioneer musical appreciation"?

on atariage they have a similar thread, but it's a simple game, you are only allowed to post titles and artist which contain at least one complete word of the previous posted

further it's only allowed to post one until a next one posted something.

they don't post clips, or it's not needed for such a game, but the idea i like.

i.e.

Cody posted "Tangerine Dream - Phaedra" now i would have to find something which contains one of these words, complete and also "Dreams" instead of "Dream" wouldn't be 100% proper.

however, i think that's cool, you can post as always but i will take this little challange and keep te rules i mentioned.

obviousely posting a title of the same artist would be lame.

and certainly you still can post comments, thoughts, memories, because i like to hear your thoughts and memories, share them.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

not a good idea?

however

something space related

more,

http://astrosmash.rocks.it/

since that is a lot of space-games music i oggyfied that all:

http://1drv.ms/1CzwkyQ

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

in despite of repetition

edit: oops that seems to be the wrong clip, never mind...

next post.

but you have to admit the real mario plumber is great, no?

"his back hurts like hell and his roids are flaring up"....

ahh, that's how you feel as a construction worker, yeah that's the proper Mario feeling.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

yes thanks geraldine, but like i said "wrong clip", happens when you watch so many different things, i like to follow this guy here:

and jeri

and i don't know what else and this mixes up things sometimes.

ok let's post another portal clip which i think it's a nice one followed by the proper mario, it should be a clip about what sort of mario was never or should be relesed.

just because it's cute:

now let's see what sort of mario we missed:

"mario & luigi, partners in crime" lol.

and a cover of a well know tune, of which i think it's almost better as the original, music has more power and the clip is fantastic,

classic cartoon art, yes we don't need anime, we can do it better!

that's EXPRESSION!

i'm really not the heavy guy

but Disturbed is a damned good band.

apart from that their clips transport the messages of the songs unmisunderstandable and this is great to.

really great i start to like this band,

what i watched quite a lot in the past few days is "the angry video game nerd", over all Cinemassacre is a entertaining channel.

sorry if i post a third one of disturbed but...

in principles the mario clip wasn't really needed it was just because of this:

15399-super-mario-bros-87-full.png

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

i'm really not the heavy guy

but Disturbed is a damned good band.

apart from that their clips transport the messages of the songs unmisunderstandable and this is great to.

really great i start to like this band,

Ha, young padawan you know how to discern the dark side is not necessarily bad ^^

For my part, I listen as these news groups of heavy / thrash metal that my olds classics hard rock.

Long live rock hard! Succession is assured

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

@Gernot

But distrubed is already old, the group has been discontinued crack in 2010.

The actuality is Device group recreated by the singer:

Edit: 

If you like that, here's the link to the playlist of their only album with the lyrics   (it's even better to plunge into the dark side, the lyrics to read   )

And here the  splendid cover of this jewel from 2012 (sick) :

949050Devicecover.jpg

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

i thought it will somehow attract you vuzz,

i wouldn't know it at all without the "musical game" on "atari age forum".

but one member is posting a lot of metal and it's good what he posts.

yes i noticed it's "old" (quasi) but certainly had no idea the band broke up.

good to hear he still sings, he's really a good singer.

while hmm "dark side"? ok it's loud and metal,

but to me this didn't classifies something already as "dark side"

(not anymore, i really was biased in my past, but i guess i changed quite after divorce and one or two years of living in the streets

it erased the last remnants of the "new apostolic brainwashing" i was gettin' through in my youth,

which was mainly prejudice to "heavy music" and "homophobia")

phew, it must be 20 years ago, i guess i still should have the poster of that party,

however

the "dead end?" played and after the dj changed to a sort of metal.

that was "dark matter", the lyrics was about self destruction and suicide, it's something i really dislike, neither the music was really good.

the effect on listeners/party ppl was also very clear to recognize, most left the building and was scared about the music, even if they didn't understood english.

you see there is truely a effect of music and lyrics even if you don't understand a word.

eh, since long i don't believe anymore and if there is no god there is no devil as well and certainly no hell or heaven.

thus neither "dark" or "bright" side exists for me, even if i'm famous for back&white thinking 🙂

but that's just "a good is a good and a bad is a bad", (un)fortunately this is "black & white thinking"

and means nothing else as

it doesn't matters who

it doesn't matters how

it only matters if it's a good acting / thing or not.

but it reaches our subconcious mind and is able to even influence it, thus one should know about what he sings and what effect this can have.

you can raise ppl to a war with music and enterntainment, it can be abused for bad as well as used for pleasure or to reach positive thoughts.

but Disturbed and other bands he posts in the "musical game" are different to that, it's metal and sometimes it overwhelmes me, but the lyrics are usually positive in expression.

fight back and fight hard i have no problem with that's a positive expression.

it's contrairy to self destruction, it means stay alive and fight to live.

certainly even i had depressive times and i thought about to suicide, but i don't like to be remembered of such.

"stand up and fight" -  that's far better, it helps you to leave such a depressive phase in life behind.

it's also ok to sing about suicidal feelings, why not? it matters how you do it, what feeling it produces in the listener.

if it's a sort of consolation which it releases in you it's certainly a good thing.

but if you see that common ppl who aren't really attentive listening get scared by the music then something is wrong with that.

and hey one can say what he likes, but to save one from self destruction, just one, isn't that far more worth as all the gold and fame in the world?

yes truely it's far better.

"we are all like babies in avalon"

to operate in the world of subconciousness is very dangerous, true we are all like babies in this sort of parallel world and even if someone thinks he knows exactly what he does,

he can't know it exactly and the result can be a catastrophe for a soul.

but music and pictures have this power, they are strong weapons in the world of subconciousness.

that has nothing to do with magic, it's

"we are just playing with opportunities" like jerry said once.

on the other hand it's near to easy,

if your intention is good and unselfish the result will be as well, exactly like in the world of conciousness.

stay naive and you won't hurt.

but if the goal is only fame and gold...

...then you do the same fault as "Morgan le Fay" and the result is destructive.

but which style you choose in your art,

i.e. for music if it's classical or metal won't play a role for this.

still his voice rocks the sound...

and

to shorten the above text to a quote from David Drainman: "if you don't dig it don't listen to it"

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

i hope you understand i joke alls guy who'se denigrate metal music when i've talk about "the dark side" ^^

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 47