Forum

Also get access to over 60 free games in their trove of games, get 20 precent off all purchases and you can stop the subscription at anytime and keep all the games

Pioneer Musical Appreciation Society  

Page 19 / 19
  RSS

Gernot66
(@gernot66)
Warrant Officer Registered
October 22, 2018 6:43 am  

if i'm not playing pioneer and do not work on phoenix i have another favorite (or two), one of them is "Streets of Simcity" which i like much and to which i added new hand-edited racetracks. the tracks are "simply" SC2000 cities. "simply", it needs some experience to build or grow cities which are suitable for a race, i prefere growed cities because you won't place the buildings in the same way a city grows even if that is a sort of "starter town" which grows from a complete zoned citymap. the cities i created last spring are special "race cities" kinda "rollercoaster" strip some cities are build along a long track and have little or no crossings. important is to me that the track goes up and downhill often and includes some tricky passages because the race scenarios are a little "dumb" respectively the AI is dumb. i did my best to edit the output of the scenario creator which is unfortunately limited to a simple race. it would be possible to spawn police or crooks along the road but that's quite tricky if you don't know the exact commands for this and the rotten scenario file is a binary which didn't makes it easier to modify it.
however, i managed it to spawn crooks or other traffic (not in this scenario) and to release certain events (like the applause you can hear) when you pass a certain tile or area of the map.

the game runs with the help of dgVoodoo very well on my win10 x64 notebook, that good that i won't need any other helping application to run that old tard, which is uncommon for a win 95 game. dgVoodoo makes a good job and i expect it won't have looked this brillant on a win95 even with an Voodoo graphics accelerator card or you would have had to spent quite a lot of money to reach this in 1996/97.

the music in this clip (that's why i present it here) is from "Astrosmash" (composer/musician) which is certainly the right music for this "Intellivision" race track. it's an ode to Intellivision on an ode to MAXIS' SC2K.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Commander Registered
October 6, 2019 2:01 pm  

Colour this thread resurrected. Unfortunately, Ginger Baker cannot be resurrected - RIP, Ginger:

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Commander Registered
October 6, 2019 2:40 pm  

While I'm at it, Robert Hunter died a couple of weeks ago. I've always had a soft spot for this:

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
October 7, 2019 2:00 pm  

@cody

Yeah,..I heard about Ginger. These days I feel everything I know and love is slowly going away. I hate getting old. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Commander Registered
October 7, 2019 2:50 pm  
Posted by: @geraldine

I hate getting old. 🙁

You and me both! I keep seeing 50th anniversary editions of albums I bought on release.

Here you go, amiga - have a freshly-baked ogg!

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
October 7, 2019 5:03 pm  

@cody

Liked that Cody! 😀

Ok, ok, maybe I am dwelling too much on the past but what to do?

Hmmmmmm

Oh I know! I will play something from the present number 1 from the UK's album chart. Yes, something new and modern. That will do it surely? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Commander Registered
October 7, 2019 7:01 pm  

<chuckles> Case in point - I queued at my local record shop to buy Abbey Road the day it was released.

Here's a gem of a single from Chicken Shack, also released in '69

Beth Hart does a terrific rendition of that old classic!

Nurse, nurse - where's my medication?

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
October 8, 2019 10:02 am  

No! Step away from the medicine Jar!

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)