Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] !! Pioneer Question Time !! - Ask them here

Page 38 / 52

mikehgentry
(@mikehgentry)
Senior Chief Registered

Speaking of Ubuntu, I've been thinking of switching to it. I can run it from the DVD, but I can't get the 32 bit Linux version of Pioneer to run. It says there's no application to run executable files. Anybody want to toss me a clue?

That sounds almost like you might be trying to run the Windows binary... You positive you got the right link?

If you open a terminal, then cd into the directory you've unpacked / compiled Pioneer into, then run

./pioneer

(./ is Linux notation for 'look in this directory'), it should give you error output explaining the problem if it doesn't want to run.

If you're thinking of trying Linux, but not sure yet, I'd suggest running it in a virtual machine first. Virtualbox is ridiculously (as in completely ridiculously) easy to use. It won't run at native speed, sure (you're certainly not going to play Pioneer on it, anyway), but it'll give you a safe sandbox for familiarising yourself with how things work before taking the plunge.

Alternatively of course there's dual-booting - it's not that hard to set up, especially if you have two hard drives.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I'm definitely trying to run the Linux version. I'm running Ubuntu directly from the DVD so there's no log in required. I'm guessing that may be the issue. I'm planning to set up a dual boot with XP because Microsoft is telling me the copy of Win7 Ultimate that was installed on the used computer I bought isn't genuine and it would cost me $200 to correct this. I have a couple of programs that don't run well under Wine, or so I've heard. Thanks again to both of you.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Microsoft is telling me the copy of Win7 Ultimate that was installed on the used computer I bought isn't genuine and it would cost me $200 to correct this.

Do you have a copy of the DVD / or more importantly the little sticker with the Windows 7 product/activation code on it?

Because if you do you just need to take a photo of it, contact MS by phone - often the activation/invalid thingy has phone numbers to call, and tell them that if the product code is in use elsewhere then it's not your fault and someone else must be using it illegally - the photo is if they ask for proof.

You could mention that the machine is second hand but that the OS came with the machine originally - although I wouldn't bother.

OEM copies of Windows are licensed to the machine, not the user, so when you sell the machine you have to buy a new license for your new machine.... technically, not that people do. The old license goes to whoever bought the machine, i.e: you, because you have the shiny sticker.

They should issue you with another code without you having to buy one.

Oh and for dual booting, always install Linux 2nd 🙂

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

No sticker, DVD or activation code. I didn't think about it at the time. Caveat emptor, eh?

ReplyQuote
Jameson4
(@jameson4)
Crewman Registered

I am playing with pioneer-alpha32-version without any mod.

I do have a problem to dock on stations in Qugre (-5,-11,0) by using the autopilot.  I also tried to fly manually, but the flight is stuttering on final.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Could you explain what you mean by "flight is stuttering on final"? I don't understand.

ReplyQuote
Jameson4
(@jameson4)
Crewman Registered

Could you explain what you mean by "flight is stuttering on final"? I don't understand.

I try to do, my english is not my birth language.

After i have jumped into this sector, i choose one of the two stations and activate the autopilot. At the height of about 780 km to the station my ship resumes at altitude, and playing on fast time (+3) the game is stuttering totally and it seems to be freezed. Maybe it is a bug, or my ship can not handle with this system because of the difficult gravity of the planet.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

It is exactly the same in Hendeson Village - Daurwa (4,6, -14)

Let's make a list of "Notice to Pioneers". 🙂

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Just a single situation that is easy to reproduce is best thanks. Once we know about it, and how to recreate the circumstances where it happens we can start to understand what causes it and then finally how we might fix it 😉

If you can find a nice easy method, as you have above, then we can get onto trying it out with a debugger attached.

@jameson4 & @walterar, thansk for giving us the coordinates etc, it should make it easier to find.

Andy

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

In both cases there is a "red giant". Until this is resolved, you must be careful with the giant stars. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Jameson4
(@jameson4)
Crewman Registered

In both cases there is a "red giant". Until this is resolved, you must be careful with the giant stars. 🙂

btw, i wonder how people in a colony can survive with a red giant in their system.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

"btw, i wonder how people in a colony can survive with a red giant in their system."

The mysteries of the Great Developer only be explained by faith. 

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Good sun block 😉

ReplyQuote
Jameson4
(@jameson4)
Crewman Registered

I do have detected two bugs ingame:

1. The inside view is mostly not available. Pressing F1 displays only outside views. Quitting the game and reloading does not help.

2. Marking another ship and pressing any joystick button who is not assigned to lunch a rocket, lunches a rocket.

ReplyQuote
spazeman
(@spazeman)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi guys! not played for a couple of versions but looks good.  I think removing elite content will be a good think in future. Could someone tell me how to add another race?  I thought I might make tinker with a robot facegen and just plonked it in as race_4 but couldn't find the file to add another race. I'm assuming it's fairly simple...

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

@spazeman,

Sorry not sure how this system works.

It looks like the number of races is hard coded in "FaceVideoLink.cpp" and that there's a fixed number of genders.

Probably not going to be as easy as you'd hoped.

Don't give up hope though 🙂

It might just require a bit of tinkering to add a "species" set of options and then a bit of hard work to add all of the various options.

If you could describe, or share, what you're trying to do then we can discuss it a bit and I might be able to make some time to work on it.

Andy

ReplyQuote
Arrakkh
(@arrakkh)
Senior Chief Registered

where can I find a combat tutorial? It looks similar like in Oolite, but more difficult. My missiles never hit the target, and using energy beam is difficult too.

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

=> use the force,  young padawan

ReplyQuote
spazeman
(@spazeman)
Petty Officer Registered

Cheers Fluffy! I've basically just started photoshopping the existing facegen picture files.  I think you've got what I was trying to do. Just replace the existing files and add a third sex/gender.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Targeting tunnels are implemented in Pioneer. Press ESC or click pause twice to get to the blue screen, then select the Controls tab, and you'll see the button.

I understand what you mean about the space dust giving you feedback about your motion. I remember jumping into a system in FE2 and skidding in sideways. I could tell by the space dust passing me from left to right. It was cool!

I don't know if anyone is interested in coding it, but it presents some interesting possibilities.

First of all, it wouldn't be something you could see with your eyes. Your HUD is displaying every bit of star soot around you, even though they're too small to affect your ship. Maybe it's tracking the atoms in the vacuum. It's 3200, why not?

I'm not much of a programmer, but as I recall, in Frontier space dust was done by defining a bubble around the ship and pseudo-randomly generating the dust at the front of the bubble and moving it to the back where it disappeared when it reached the boundary. The speed at which the dust seemed to move bore little resemblance to the speed of the ship at high velocities or time acceleration.

In FFED3D they made the space dust move with the motion of the ship. That made the dust disappear at higher velocities because it's moving too fast to see (or render).

In Pioneer it could be made to work right by vastly expanding the size of the bubble. It would have to be huge to show movement at 1000kps and high time acceleration. This would add a lot of processing time. It could be mitigated by not attempting to draw dust specs that wouldn't have visible movement.

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@Biomechanoid You're absolutely crazy, and are in the right place. Welcome to Pioneer! 

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Where are the planetary textures saved in Pioneer? Is it possible to interchange the textures from different versions, for example use the Genesia textures with Alpha 33 alone or Alpha 33 + Scout+ mod ? Or must planetary textures be downloaded separately?

Thanks,

XenonS

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

There are no fixed planetary textures. They're generated during terrain generation. The only planets that are "fixed" are Earth and Moon, which use a custom heightmap format.

ReplyQuote
Page 38 / 52