Page 1 / 2

Lancer
(@lancer)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Latest LTS Ubuntu = 12.04

This has libglew 1.6

Pioneer wants libglew 1.7

Even if I went non-LTS (which I'm not going to do because I've ended up in the nasty "you're on your own now" for doing that before) the higher up "experimental" Ubuntu versions stock libglew 1.8

So has anyone got the latest Pioneer working on 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04? If so, where can I get the required dependancies?

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

You'll need to either compile from source or find a libglew1.7 package for your system (does Ubuntu carry one in any of their extended repositories)?

Unless someone can find me a sane way of targetting various different versions of libglew (and helping me implement it in the autobuilders), the Linux builds will continue to target Debian 7.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@Lancer Welcome to Pioneer

Unzip and replace the original executable with this. pioneer-201306.17-Ubuntu64-12.04-LTS.zip

I hope do not ask for assimp >= 3. In that case we will see.

ReplyQuote
pazuzu
(@pazuzu)
Petty Officer Registered

Try this for libglew https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glew/1.7.0-3/+build/3443830

assimp3 should be on the repos

Works on 13.04

ReplyQuote
Stas
 Stas
(@stas)
Petty Officer Registered

12.04 lts 32

install libglew, libassimp, want libminizip.so.1 ??? Why?

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@Stas At what point want libminizip.so?

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

assimp is a loader for various 3D model formats. Some of those formats have compressed componenets. assimp uses minizip to decompress them.

I'm currently reworking the Linux builds to statically-link GLEW and assimp. Its blown the binary size out a little, but will remove the dependency. They should be up later today; I'll post when they're ready.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I suppose this is somewhat on topic. I want to run Pioneer on Ubuntu 13.04. From what I’ve been able to understand, I have to compile it. I'm a total Linux noob. It's like learning DOS all over again. I found this topic.

http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic/1092-compiled-on-ubuntu-playing-looks-great/

Is this still accurate? Does anyone have a link to a good bash reference so I can understand a bit of what I'm copying and pasting into the terminal?

BTW, I got the win32 version to run under Wine, but it doesn't run optimally.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Build 201306.21 is up on the homepage. It has GLEW and assimp compiled in and so should work with minimal effort on just about every modern Linux. Here's hoping anyway!

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Try https://github.com/p...r/COMPILING.txt .

Got a 404 on that link. Thanks for your efforts, I'm planning to give it a try tomorrow.

Oh, and I found this.

http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html

I should be able to learn something from it. 😉

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@Marcel Not worry,  I tried the last nigth and run without any problems on Ubuntu 13.04. Download from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pioneerspacesim/files/  unzip in user folder, and run.

@robn I noticed that last versions released of night , the executables are much smaller in size than the others, even those compiled according to the latest instructions. Using strip?

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Got a 404 on that link.

That's because the URL detector is including the full-stop at the end of the sentence, which shouldn't be part of the URL.

John B

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Got a 404 on that link. Thanks for your efforts, I'm planning to give it a try tomorrow.

If you have a source checkout then you already have COMPILING.txt in the toplevel folder.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

@robn I noticed that last versions released of night , the executables are much smaller in size than the others, even those compiled according to the latest instructions. Using strip?

Yes, there's now a --with-strip option that they're being built with. I'm not thrilled about it because part of the reason for builds is to be able to gather as much debug info as possible, but without it the static linkage blows the binary size out by a lot, which I don't want to do either. Oh well.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

It is a breakthrough. Many users of Ubuntu (Debian and derivatives), might play now Pioneer, smoothly.

ReplyQuote
NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)
Warrant Officer Registered

I feel like I should jump in as an LTS user to mention that the w32 version runs decently under WINE, it's just a regular SDL app as far as I know and except for some weirdness with workspace switching and screenshots in fullscreen I haven't had any major problems through the past half dozen versions.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

It is a breakthrough. Many users of Ubuntu (Debian and derivatives), might play now Pioneer, smoothly.

Well its always worked well on Debian, since its always been built there, but I take the point. Yes, if it gets it working in more places then its a good thing.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

If you have a source checkout then you already have COMPILING.txt in the toplevel folder.

Yep, it's in there all right. All I had to do was read it. 🙂

I feel like I should jump in as an LTS user to mention that the w32 version runs decently under WINE,

On my system the shaders don't work. If the shaders are on, the planets are transparent, and if there's a mod installed, the game crashes. There may be a way to fix this, but why bother? I'm encouraged to hear that you got it working under Ubuntu. I'm not quite ready to launch yet, but I found the Rosetta stone I was looking for. It was right in front of my eyes.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

Now I can understand what

sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -h --long-switch aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/underscores_strokes/and.dots

means. 😀

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Shaders don't work? Are you using the open source drivers or the manufacturer ones?

So far I've found the open source ones just don't cut it yet though there are some patches and fixes in the pipeline for the ATi/AMD cards.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

I assumed he meant shaders weren't working on Win32 under wine. If that's the case, then I don't care.

If they're not working on the Linux build, that's more interesting.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Hm, yeah, generic drivers. That'll probably solve the win32 Wine problem, but once I get Pioneer running under Ubuntu I won't care about it either.

I've go to go to work now and won't have time to mess with it until tomorrow. I'll keep you posted about my progress, just because.

ReplyQuote
Lancer
(@lancer)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Just got back on today to find all the work you've been doing to get Pioneer 64 bit / Ubuntu working. Thanks heaps. Have downloaded and it successfully runs 🙂 Now I can have some downtime from my real-life workload and fly around in ultra spaceness... Awesome.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Progress report; The 32 bit version works perfectly! I just downloaded and extracted it into my home/games folder and clicked on the pioneer file. Even an old Windows guy like me could handle it!

When I did that with the 64 bit it got the message "cannot execute binary file". As I understand it, it means that version isn't compiled for my OS so I have to do it myself, right? I got the required libraries installed and the rest seems fairly simple.

As for mods, Scout+ overrides my Home towns. I'm going to have to do something about that.

edit; and yes, I have the 64 bit Ubuntu running on a dual core.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Progress report; The 32 bit version works perfectly! I just downloaded and extracted it into my home/games folder and clicked on the pioneer file. Even an old Windows guy like me could handle it!

Well that's good!

When I did that with the 64 bit it got the message "cannot execute binary file". As I understand it, it means that version isn't compiled for my OS so I have to do it myself, right? I got the required libraries installed and the rest seems fairly simple.

edit; and yes, I have the 64 bit Ubuntu running on a dual core.

Not so good. It really does sound like you don't have the 64-bit Ubuntu, but we can check! Can you post the output from the command "uname -a". That will display the current system architecture.

Also, the output from "ldd ./pioneer", run from the top Pioneer dir, could also be useful (though it will be long - some 70 lines).

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2