Notifications
Clear all

Coronavirus... your thoughts?

Page 2 / 10

D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

Hey @d-c-elington, so do you think most of Europe is really like Italy its just they are hiding the truth a little from  the populous to not have them panic?

Yes to the virus spreading in most of the Western world, no about anyone hiding the truth!

It's just that the reported cases figure is very optimistic because it is counting sick people while there is a long incubation period without symptoms (2 to 14 days). So we're seeing the numbers with a significant delay. Also the disease is very mild for 80% of people and so many are spreading it completely unaware. All-in-all IMHO once a few clusters have emerged our way of life makes it very difficult to stop the spread: just think of all the people commuting on Fridays, then going to a crowded pub or night club on the next Saturday! Especially at the beginning of the epidemic when no one is really paying attention.

So no it's not the end of the world because the mortality rate is "only" 2%, however letting 2% die without trying to save them is simply intolerable.

Well that's just my two cents of course!

This post was modified 4 years ago by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Most definitely have to be careful around family especially if they are older, I am lucky in a way I live in a small town of like 5000 people and I don't go to clubs or big assemblies and I have a car so no train or taxi travel for me. So really the only way I am catching this is by touching something or either work or the kid.

From what I can see in my area its still business as usual I have yet to see anyone with a mask... but I have noticed the commute to work is a bit easier. I guess I consider myself lucky that I have a cubical job and I don't have to interact with people much just my pc 🙂

But stay safe everyone, try not to ride the subway, trains or buses. I hear planes have been quiet empty lately  since plane ticket prices are dropping quickly. Just shows how much they mark stuff up 🙂 A ticket I usually pay $1600-1700 for I can get for just under $900 now.... just haven't booked the flight yet I will wait until the end of March or first 2wks of April to see things are around the world with the Virus. Cause my wife says that the Philippines is starting to have a few more cases and they have way more people than I do here in NH.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes, keep yourselves safe folks. That goes double for you Cody as I recall you telling me about your health issues. As for me, being as anti-social as I am normally, my contact with the rest of the human race is minimal. So I should be good for a while at least as Scotland has at present only 17 confirmed cases. Our population is quite low and spread out compared to the rest of the UK so the virus will have a harder time spreading here. No one tho, no matter how careful they are, can be 100% safe short of wearing a Haz Mat suit everywhere. We can only hope this thing does not mutate in something even more deadly or we could be looking at a real 12 Monkeys scenario. Hope it burns itself out soon. It's disgusting to me tho how some businesses are exploiting the fear factor this virus brings; selling masks and hand wash at inflated prices. Even stores are being emptied of cleaning products and antibacterials in general by panic buying. Even some politicians are starting to realise they could turn this virus to their own political ambitions and agendas. To me at least politicians are far worse than any virus!

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @geraldine

... short of wearing a Haz Mat suit everywhere.

<grins> I was thinking more along the lines of Space Marine-grade combat armour!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody

Well, if it comes down to wants......all things considered, I'd rather have a Cobra MkIII fitted with a fuel scoop and get the hell out of Dodge altogether! It would be an Elite II era Cobra tho, so I'd hit the Stardreamer for awhile until the threat had gone, maybe explore a few near by star systems and spray some graffiti around the place to confuse future explorers!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@sscadmin

It would only have to reach a tipping point but yes, once society collapses, panic and anarchy would kill at least as many as any pandemic. Humans are, and always have been, the greatest threat to humanity and civilization in general. If our number really is up, I hope an evolved cat race rises to replace us. Just think of all the wacky theories their archaeologists would come up with to explain all the junk we leave behind in the fossil record. 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I hope an evolved cat race rises to replace us.

How about arboreal squid?

Squibbon, a terrestrial cephalopod that swings from tree branches; it is highly intelligent and the likeliest ancestor for future life that may allow civilization to once again reestablish itself on Earth; like the Megasquid it is a descendant of the cephalopods.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Posted by: @cody

Hum IMHO they would not last long: with 8 arms they could wear so many jewels that they would become even more greedy than we are. We know were that leads... 😊 

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

From what I can see in my area its still business as usual I have yet to see anyone with a mask...

Yes we've experienced the same here: the situation is so extraordinary that it takes time for people to register. On my side I got an early warning from a friend who lives in Northern Italy. But then I could see how my local tribe was gently calling me nuts when I decided to self isolate, as a need to "do something" I guess. Today Italy has declared a full quarantine and France will probably follow suit in about a week. So at least I was not completely going bananas with my drastic move... 😐

This post was modified 4 years ago by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @d-c-elington

Sure but that's your personal state of mind and you're perfectly entitled to it. However transmitting the virus to someone else is a very different issue. Things can get real and ugly very fast: I'm supposed to meet my family in April and one of my aunts recently had heart surgery and is very fragile. What if I don't pay attention and get a nearly silent form of the disease, infect her and she dies from it?

Your situation is completely different @d-c-elington 

You have a very concise reason to worry, not about just getting the disease, but transmitting it to a particularly vulnerable loved one. With the incubation period at least fourteen days long, I understand your concern and can only hope that you find the right solution. My own state of mind and circumstances are different as you say, I've been battling a deadly disease for a while now and pretty much stopped being scared of death, I'm also very, very far from my loved ones, it saddens me at times, but right now, having read your post, I'm glad I'm on the other side of the world.

For what it's worth, I can only offer you my best hopes and wishes in keeping yourself and your loved ones safe.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

A Squid Cody? Nah, although it has been proven that some sea based life, Dolphins, Whales and maybe even Squids, are quite intelligent, there is no way they would give up their life of floating about the place. I mean, that's already been tried and look how that has turned out? The sea is a much safer place than the land; no risk of fire, less likelihood of territorial disputes so less chance of war, that's a lot to give up. No, my money is still on cats. Maybe, with cats, the dice has been loaded from the start? 🤔 

To the rest of you in this thread, just in case you were wondering why the heck Cody and me are posting such "stuff", well,............this is a typical way how folk from the UK deal with situations like this. Yes, it's a serious situation, we know that, but laughter can be a medicine to cure all ills too. 🤗 

Keep yourselves safe out there folks, do what you need to do to protect you and yours, but don't forget to smile now and then too as losing hope and letting fear dictate what happens is the worst thing of all.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

IMHO they would not last long: with 8 arms they could wear so many jewels

<imagines a squad of Humboldt squid, all blinged up, swinging into action> Vicious critters!

This post was modified 4 years ago by Cody

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

I've been battling a deadly disease for a while now

Oh I'm very sorry to read that 😔
"Fais bien attention à toi" (back to my native language to avoid any risk of a bad choice of words but you see what I mean)

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

this is a typical way how folk from the UK deal with situations like this

"Always look on the brighhhhht siiiide of life" 😉 

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

"Fais bien attention à toi"

Merci et tu prends soin de toi mon ami

"Always look on the brighhhhht siiiide of life"

Life of Brian! Anything Monty Python works for me. Time for some Fawlty Towers I think, good medicine for whatever ails you.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Gaius Konstantine

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Up goes Covid-19, down go oil prices, shares plummet - and it's raining!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Yeah USA stock market is taking a pretty good hit, my 401k has dropped a lot in value over this past 2wks. I haven't sold anything because I believe in the funds/stocks I am in will eventually recover and be around for many more years to come. You don't technically loose money until you sell.... but if the govt wants to send me free money I will take it 🙂 I pay enough in taxes I think I deserve a little give back 😉

In other news....

NEWS: E3 2020 CANCELLED DUE TO GROWING CONCERNS OVER COVID-19 VIRUS
After careful consultation with our member companies regarding the health and safety of everyone in our industry – our fans, our employees, our exhibitors, and our longtime E3 partners – we have made the difficult decision to cancel E3 2020, scheduled for June 9-11 in Los Angeles.

Following increased and overwhelming concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we felt this was the best way to proceed during such an unprecedented global situation. We are very disappointed that we are unable to hold this event for our fans and supporters. But we know it’s the right decision based on the information we have today.

Our team will be reaching out directly to exhibitors and attendees with information about providing full refunds.

We are also exploring options with our members to coordinate an online experience to showcase industry announcements and news in June 2020. Updates will be shared on E3Expo.com.

We thank everyone who shared their views on reimagining E3 this year. We look forward to bringing you E3 2021 as a reimagined event that brings fans, media, and the industry together in a showcase that celebrates the global video game industry.

For all the station members try to stay away from the crazies out there... you see these videos were people are rushing stores over toilet paper and some food items.... it just shows that some humans really shouldn't be higher on the evolution scale 🙂 I love it, there is a virus that is fairly contagious and it is spread by close contact.... so lets rush a store where so many people are in close proximity to each other 🙂

This post was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

It's good news week

Someone's found a way to give

The rotting dead a will to live

Go on and never die

Hedgehoppers Anonymous - who else!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Least the USA is getting a little smarter after seeing whats been happening in Europe, with president Trump announcing a national emergency and shutting down all incoming flights from Europe and all Americans coming back to the usa after this week will have to be put into quarantine for 2wks. Granted I think we are in more danger than most think, they are not really testing people because they don't have enough.... so they are only testing people that have the highest possibility of being sick.

The rates in Italy, Spain, France and Germany are rising quickly.... what's happening over there, do you think the govt's are responding and doing what they need too.... Is it the populous not using common sense? Is resources and food being brought in frequent enough all over so there is no real shortage?

Stay safe my fellow stationmates, SSC is disease and virus free... all is welcomed. Keep heads up and for those that can't the bar is fully stocked 😉 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Looks like we may be heading for lockdown in parts of the UK. As for 'common sense', my usual major store (Waitrose) was well-stocked yesterday, apart from toilet paper and paracetamol - none to be had! WTF? I won't bother mentioning hand sanitisers! Not that I need them - isopropyl alcohol is something I've always got in the house. Very useful stuff!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

The rates in Italy, Spain, France and Germany are rising quickly.... what's happening over there, do you think the govt's are responding

Reporting from France (March 14th): we're going into full lockdown, all non-essential shops closing and everyone required to stay home and limit contacts as much as possible.

However the rates have been extremely stable actually: the problem is that the phenomenon is a chain reaction (one infected person contaminating two others in average) resulting in an exponential growth with a doubling of the cases every 3 days. France was 8 days behind Italy, and the rest of the western world is on the same track:

Covid-19 lag tracker

Also beware that the apparently small figures are deceiving:
1- many people only suffer from mild forms and are not counted, however they are still contagious.
2- at a given time the reported cases reflect the contaminations about 7 days back in time because of the silent incubation period.

With no treatment nor vaccine it appears that the only solution to avoid a catastrophic overload of the healthcare system and a shocking number of casualties is confinement, so for those of you not under lockdown yet you might want to prepare for it.

Finally about closing the borders: in France two weeks ago the number of reported cases was... "70". Once more than a few cases are detected it appears that the [x2 / 3 days] goes like clockwork everywhere. You have 2500+ cases in the US as of today already...

Stay safe

This post was modified 4 years ago 3 times by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

With no treatment nor vaccine it appears that the only solution to avoid a catastrophic overload of the healthcare system and a shocking number of casualties is confinement, so for those of you not under lockdown yet you might want to prepare for it.

That is the worrying part of that situation is overloading the medical system, I heard in some countries that the medical staff was doing war time trauma style measures in only helping the people they knew had a chance at survival.... yeah I know the military side of me says that is the right thing to do. But I know a lot of non-military people would not like to hear stuff like that for their loved ones.

Then I hear that China is threatening to withhold specific medications people need.... grrr. This event WILL open up peoples minds and I surely do hope that the USA finally learns its lesson and starts manufacturing things in the USA again, if prices are a bit higher so be it. 

I know here in NH they are closing down most of the schools for at least two weeks, they haven't closed our school here yet but conversation that it might be because they are discussing online classes/learning for the kids.

Oh I am well aware that 2500+ people are infected in the USA can balloon into a lot more, who knows if who these people came into contact with? Voluntary confinement is the proper thing to do and limit human contact all together if we can and if we can do that the infection rate should start to drop within 2-3wks. Now the only thing we have to worry about is idiots buying too much and a-holes starting things in a store when everyone is in the same situation, so we might as all get along 🙂

my usual major store (Waitrose) was well-stocked yesterday, apart from toilet paper and paracetamol - none to be had! WTF?

I did my grocery shopping last night and yup Cody no more toilet paper or water.... water I couldn't figure out... we still have power and there is not immediate threat of a power outage so water and sewer should still be running for a while 🙂 but besides that there was generally plenty of food and veggies in the store.... one thing that I thought was funny is that a shelf would be wiped out but the vegan stuff was still there, even when the world is ending we still have our limits 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

overloading the medical system

Official stats here: 10% of the cases require a stay in ICU, hence the heavy load.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Starting to spread on my Island here in the eastern Med now, Schools are closed, restaurants shut and the highway is almost deserted. The wife did some heavy shopping and luckilly the supermarkets are well stocked... but for how long? Just about everything here is imported.

And let us not kid ourselves, apart from the obvious danger to public health, the economic consequences are going to be quite severe.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Looks like they're going to ask people in at-risk groups to stay home for 12 weeks. That is going to make life very difficult for some of us. I have much-needed eye surgery scheduled for early April, which will almost certainly have to be cancelled. Mierda!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 10