Notifications
Clear all

Coronavirus... your thoughts?

Page 8 / 10

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

So does this mean your vision is doing a lot better now @Cody and all the procedures worked?

Yeah they are still kicking around the whole lockdown thing here in the USA but I doubt highly we will obey that .... we have rights, and to be frank they can't force us to lockdown. We did it pretty willingly the first time, but a second time I doubt will go over well with the populous. Because people are starving and without money here.... did you see some of the photos at foodbanks here getting pretty bad

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8953859/Thousands-line-outside-drive-Texas-food-bank-600-000-pounds-food-given-away.html

For a virus that has a 95-99% recovery rate we are destroying our economies and the livelihood of millions. They had plenty of live polls where youtubers talking to everyday people and people want to open up and go to work, they are willing to risk sickness then live like they are now. Its getting to the point here in the USA where people just do not care about the virus they want their lives and jobs back.

I have been lucky for the most part I can work from home and go into work 1-2x a week (just to get out of the house) and have always done all shopping online except for groceries so I have little exposure to all of this so far, the covid-19 stuff has had very little impact on my daily life. Only impact that I have had is that I couldn't travel to see my wife and my visa paperwork is taking forever for her. But all these shutdowns and work stoppages could have a impact on my employment if it continues too much longer. Finding a job if your unemployed and older is getting pretty tough in this environment so here is hoping the economies of the world start to improve. 🙂

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

So does this mean your vision is doing a lot better now

Aye, after three months, I finally have usable vision again. One problem fixed, but the second more complicated problem has been kicked into the long grass for the time being. Too much going on at present, including a relocation (I hope).

Here in Pajero County, we've gone straight from lockdown into tier-2 restrictions. [insert profanity of choice]

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

A new strain of the virus has been detected in my area (and others), and in my town, the cases per 100k population have doubled in the last week. As of this Wednesday, my county moves into tier-3 restrictions. Merry Winterfest, everyone!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I saw this article on drudgereport this evening, this what you are talking about @Cody

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13474181/new-coronavirus-strain-spreading-hancock/

They are touting the vaccine but usually vaccines cover certain strains of a virus, so I doubt this will be affective against new strains unless that vaccine is a mashup of a bunch of things and not focused on covid specifically.... Its gonna be a while before I consider getting a vaccine personally. They are talking about lockdowns here too, but I doubt the public will go for that. Especially now that govt assistance is ending this month, and without that people will not be getting any money from unemployment benefits and hold on rent payments for landlords. I know if the rent shit isn't handled soon in the USA there is going to be millions homeless because there is landlords that want their money and I cannot blame them, they have bills too.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

This is from the Covid-19 section of the BBC website:

Mutations to the spike protein lead to questions about the vaccine because the three leading jabs - Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford - all train the immune system to attack the spike. However, the body learns to attack multiple parts of the spike. That is why health officials remain convinced the vaccine will work against this variant.

This is a virus that evolved in animals and made the jump to infecting people around a year ago. Since then it has been picking up around two mutations a month - take a sample today and compare it to the first ones from Wuhan in China and there would be around 25 mutations separating them. Coronavirus is still trying out different combinations of mutations to properly nail infecting humans.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I've had 6,092 thoughts since last Sunday. That's all the deaths recorded from Covid in Scotland. I just hope this winter does not take a heavier toll before it's done but I know, deep down, it's a forlorn one. Keep yourselves safe out there folks where ever you are.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @cody

As of this Wednesday, my county moves into tier-3 restrictions.

As of tomorrow, my area moves into tier-4 restrictions (equivalent to lockdown). The new variant seems to be far more transmissible - cases per 100k population continue to increase at an alarming rate! Gimme the fuckin' jab!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

The new variant of Covid-19 is "hugely" more transmissible than the virus's previous version, a study has found. It concludes the new variant increases the Reproduction or R number by between 0.4 and 0.7. The UK's latest R number has been estimated at between 1.1 and 1.3. It needs to be below 1.0 for the number of cases to start falling. Prof Jim Naismith, of Oxford University, said he believed that the new findings indicated that even tougher restrictions would soon be needed.

Meanwhile, they've increased the time between first jab and booster from 21 days to 12 weeks, in an attempt to get many more people initially jabbed and partially protected as soon as possible. People who've had the first jab, and had the booster pre-booked, will now have to wait.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

They are saying this new strain you speak of @cody has appeared in Colorado so its probably in a lot of places by now would be my guess. This month we will know more on the whole lock-down thing, its been put on hold I guess because the presidential election needs to be finalized and the president sworn in then I think we will have more clarity on next steps. But as always we will see how the populous will take this because a lot of folks are struggling here and I doubt it will go over well.

Stay safe all, the decontamination chambers are fully operational on the station so use them as much as you like 😉

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

the presidential election needs to be finalized and the president sworn in then I think we will have more clarity on next steps

It's been a painful process this time around.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Threat level bumped up to 5 (the highest), nationwide lockdown, my local area's case rate per 100k is double the national average, and the three local hospitals are at their limits. Latest info tells me I won't get the first jab 'til February. I hope that changes!

Meanwhile, in South Africa another variant is causing trouble. Apparently, this is a slightly different and more complex mutation.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

And amid the gloom, some light relief!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

And amid the gloom, some light relief!

These are very old-fashioned components in individual packages... so guys: if someone comes to you with a very, very large syringe that looks like it could only fit into a very dark place then it's surely NOT a covid-19 vaccine!! 🤪😂

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

<chuckles> Don't know much about guitar pedals - drums was my thing!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

There was a surge of cases in my area last week. The county's director of public health estimates 6% of the local population are infected. I happen to know one of them. She's in her early twenties and should be able to fight it off, but her mum's worried.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gernot66
(@gernot66)
Lieutenant Registered

You really dare to ask what i think about?

I think it's a mass hysteria a mass-media-hysteria apart from a virus which is far less harmful as the consequences of the acting of those who fear it most without any reason. It's a good thing for media, advertisers pay well for corona because the label corona grants a lot of attraction. It's the peak of decadence i have seen in my life - it might come worse i fear.

Yesterday an old railroad worker i mean one of those who keep the steel running uttered "the chance to become a lotto millionaire is higher" right i said.

To someone risking everyday his life for the comfort for others they all look like bubies, pee-pee.

Edit: and by cost of our health in general - but we don't ask for.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Gernot66

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Posted by: @gernot66

Yesterday an old railroad worker i mean one of those who keep the steel running uttered "the chance to become a lotto millionaire is higher" right i said.

[EDIT] removed many debatable assumptions while trying to do the maths

The facts are that about 3000 people are "losing" at covid-19 every day in the US alone (not counting long-covids) and that is much, much more than happy players winning at lotto unless I'm mistaken 😔

This post was modified 3 years ago 9 times by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Hmm... not much I can say!

This post was modified 3 years ago by Cody

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Blah64
(@blah64)
Senior Chief Registered

Posted by: @gernot66

This is flat out, mathematically incorrect.

Becoming a lotto millionaire is orders of magnitude less likely.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

My local hospital is now having to ration oxygen!

The damn reCAPTCHA has gone bananas! Took ages, repeat after repeat, to log-in!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Down here it's less volatile, fewer deaths than the European average, all of them 80 years and older in age. 

So far I personally know three people total that had it, here is the run down.

Guy one got off the easiest, described it as less severe than a common cold, with almost no symptoms, he didn't know what to do to pass the time as he didn't feel sick. (Good time to get into space games I think). Age, mid 40s

Gal one (wife of guy above), described it as a bad cold, she had some symptoms including a cough. Age, mid 30s

Guy two, described it as the worst Flu he ever had in his life, symptoms included fever and cough, with almost two entire weeks needed to recover fully. Age late 50s, smoker, cancer history.

So looking at numbers across the world, I'm seeing a highly infectious virus that hits everyone differently. While there are exceptions, a general rule would be that the older you are, combined with preexisting conditions, increase how lethal the bug can be.

As near as I can tell, from studying the material out there, I would have a 99+% chance of recovery if I contracted it, meaning that for me personally, it's a not a major concern. But out there we have a lot of people where that number drops off drastically.

Know your situation and take proper measures accordingly my friends, hopefully this time next year, all of this will be past us. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Due to an excess of Covid-19 patients, the local hospital has cancelled my follow-up eye appointment. <bangs head on wall> Ouch! The good news is my brother had his first jab yesterday, and he's not turned into a monkey - yet!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Get my first jab later today (the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine). Then I'll have to wait 12 weeks for the booster.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Get my first jab later today (the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine)

When a "security update" will spare you a painful "malicious wetware removal" session 🙂

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @d-c-elington

When a "security update" will spare you a painful "malicious wetware removal" session

I'm staying clear of 5G masts. Mind you, I'm having to fight the urge to swing from the light fitting.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 10