Notifications
Clear all

Linux Release

Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Greetings Space Sim Centrallers,

I just thought I'd pop in and announce the linux port of Salvation Prophecy.  It's available on Desura.  I did the linux port myself, which will make it easier to provide support and updates to the game as needed.  (A lot of indie devs hire out the port.)

Carry on, pilots.

- Jabberwocky

salvation_prophecy_ubuntu.jpg

A screenshot of Salvation Prophecy running on Ubuntu

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Thats great news Jabberwocky. If you don't mind, I will post that news on Amibay as it has lots of Linux fans. Also certainly worth a mention on the Frontier Forum too.

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hey Geraldine, nice to see you again. 

I really appreciate any help spreading the word.  Indie games with 0 marketing dollars rely heavily on the kindness of others.  😉

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)
Warrant Officer Registered

awesome a port 🙂 Made a video a while ago. Might gonna give this a testrun on my ubuntu notebook 🙂

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hey Star Apoc,

Hmm, a notebook - what kind of video card does it have?  Even though Salvation Prophecy has pretty low graphics requirements, playing on a notebook might be a little optimistic. 

Haha, btw - love your sig quote:

"Sir! We're completely surrounded!" "Excellent! We may now attack in every direction!"

That's awesome. 

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

Kinda the feeling I got also sometimes in Salvation Prophecy in some battles 😉

And my notebook has these specs:

3rd generation i7 @ 2.3Ghz.

8GB RAM.

Nvidia optimus with ingegrated gfx and a Geforce 610M 1GB (IIRC).

1TB HDD space.

Another of mine has a slightly better Gfx card and CPU, but worse RAM and HDD space. And besides it got a touchpad which is so annoying that it is really wanting to make you commit suicide when forced to use that. Besides it is practically the same as a mac's touchpad, which is a big NO for me.

But if you'd like I can test it on both the integrated GPU and the dedicated one. I also got another box which will likely be able to chew this game, which is an el cheapo gaming box. See here for a video about it when I went to test homeworld 2 and some other games on it:

Even got that thing to run EVE Online properly. Still gotta turn that into a video!

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Kinda the feeling I got also sometimes in Salvation Prophecy in some battles 😉

Haha!

Yeah, a Geforce 610M isn't going to cut it.  Even if you could get Salvation Prophecy to run, it wouldn't be any fun.  In a shooter you need a decent framerate to aim properly.

I checked out the video - that's super cool you got those games to run on such a cheap rig.  What did you say, 150 euro for the components?

Alpha Centauri - an old favorite of mine!

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

Board: €50,-

RAM: €25,- (it had 4 GB's tucked in. I'd personally recommend 6GB minimal if you wanna use aero desktop).

HDD: €60,-

PSU: €30,-

So that means €165,- total or about 200 dollars for a fully capable gaming rig. Besides, the case is eco-friendly since it is easy to recycle!

SMAC is great. Hence looking forward to Pandora First Contact. But I'd recommend we get back to topic, if you wanna chat more feel free to add me on skype or steam. Both are listed on my ModDB profile.

I'll see how it'll go on that notebook and report on that. Since it can run some high-gfx games, I do think it can run this. Gonna let desura download it this weekend and then give it a testrun.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Glad to see your still working on Salvation Prophecy and pushing it to a new platform. I hope that the sales have done well enough to re-coop your costs and your not eating Mac&Cheese every night. Anything that I can do Jabberwocky to help just ask.

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

So that means €165,- total or about 200 dollars for a fully capable gaming rig. Besides, the case is eco-friendly since it is easy to recycle!

Impressive.

Glad to see your still working on Salvation Prophecy and pushing it to a new platform. I hope that the sales have done well enough to re-coop your costs and your not eating Mac&Cheese every night. Anything that I can do Jabberwocky to help just ask.

Thanks DarkOne!

Yeah, I figured linux was a good fit for the game.  There's a lot of very enthusiastic linux gamers out there, and it's gaining some momentum.

Steam is still the major target, and I've been pinging around rank 17 to 25 out of 1000+ games for a while.  Hopefully it makes it, but either way I'm glad the game is out there for people to play.

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

I must say that Salvation Prophecy is one of the best games I ever played. So kudos to you!

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Awesome, thanks robske.  🙂 

That's a really nice thing to say.  I'm glad you enjoyed it!

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

I did not manage to play it much. But I must say there was nothing really bad, and on a few areas it stood out. So on overal the thing which lacked the most in my feeling was some sort of multiplayer or COOP mode.

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Yeah multiplayer / coop would be a ton of fun.  It's a big feature though.  Maybe it is something I could tackle if I make another space game with a bigger team and budget.  Thanks for your thoughts!

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

Combat arena would be fun. On the surface one team would have to defend against the other invading team. In space quite the same? I think a campaign as multiplayer would bring its own difficulties.

ReplyQuote