Stargate Atlantis

Stargate Universe

Doctor Who

Quantum Leap

Rewatch the original Twilight Zone

TTZ remake

Eureka

Finish Warehouse 13

Anyone else have any recommendations to add to my queue? Whats your favorite shows?

set
 set
(@set)
Senior Chief Registered

On netflix:

Fringe

Futurama

Supernatural (there's some free episodes on hulu from current season)

sliders

The star trek movies

Free on hulu:

The dresden files

The strange calls

Twilight Zone

Outer limits

Sleepy hollow (only some episodes for free)

Constantine

There's babylon 5 and crusade for people who like them I guess. And andromeda which I like but also isn't on netflix or hulu.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

This is just me babbling, really:

I'd have to say that the 4 good Star Trek series (TOS, TNG, DS9 and VGR) along with Firefly are pretty much the complete lexicon of really worthwhile Sci Fi TV shows.  I grew up with all the Star Treks, so it's very hard for me to be in any way objective about them.  As an adult, I can certainly understand why they are hard for many to appreciate.  Sad to say, all 4 of the good series had their share of irredeemably terrible episodes.  On the other hand, TOS and TNG had some of the best episodes of anything ever put on TV.  Star Trek also has a very unique sense of humor, that I suspect very few people who are not die-hard Star Trek fans to begin with completely get.  Perhaps most of those people don't quite realize how big a part of Star Trek humor is.  Firefly on the otherhand, is just perfect.  Don't get me wrong, I'll always love Star Trek more, but the fact that every moment of Firefly was so good is something special (granted, it's easier since they only had 14 episodes and a movie).

Battlestar Galactica was pretty good, but at some point (the boxing episode) it devolved into a nauseatingly melodramatic tangle of love triangles, and what I can only surmise was some rather bad planning. 

I liked Stargate SG1.  It is pretty much entirely a parody on other Sci Fi shows, which is great if you're already a Sci Fi fan.  I enjoyed Atlantis, but I can't really say it was a very good show, it was more enjoyable because of the momentum of SG1 than anything else.  SG Universe was an atrocity, in my opinion.  It seems like they were trying to capitalize on the recent flurry of "dark" shows, specifically Battlestar Galactica, and tried to turn SG into melodramatic crap.  I'm all for "dark" shows, but "dark" is pretty much the last word I'd use to describe Stargate.  Stargate is funny, it's good at being funny, it's enjoyable because it's funny, leave it the hell alone.

I couldn't get into Doctor Who.  All I remember is that episode of Family Guy where Brian says "Everyone's baked on pot.  The ratings for Doctor Who are through the roof.".  If it's not some sort of British stoner show, I'm not sure what category it falls in.  It didn't always seem like Sci Fi to me, although I can't pin down a particularly good reason that it isn't.

Quantum Leap defines that "It's so bad it's good" category.  And, I mean that wholeheartedly, it was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, but my memories of watching reruns in the mid 90's are golden.  For the sake of science fiction I think we should all agree that QL was NOT sci fi.

My last two New Years Eve's have been spent watching the original Twilight Zone from 10:00AM to 2:00AM, after seeing that there was an all day marathon on "Syfy" but choosing to watch it on Netflix to avoid the commercials.  Time well spent, time well spent.

It's really sad that we've been so deprived for so long, I mean, these shows are all old.  The last thing to really be any good was Firefly.  Perhaps the success of the magnificent Game of Thrones will finally cause something to change (because people who like neither genre for some reason identify fantasy with Sci Fi), but I'm not holding my breath.

ReplyQuote
CrossDressiNate
(@crossdressinate)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

This is just me babbling, really:

I'd have to say that the 4 good Star Trek series (TOS, TNG, DS9 and VGR) along with Firefly are pretty much the complete lexicon of really worthwhile Sci Fi TV shows.  I grew up with all the Star Treks, so it's very hard for me to be in any way objective about them.  As an adult, I can certainly understand why they are hard for many to appreciate.  Sad to say, all 4 of the good series had their share of irredeemably terrible episodes.  On the other hand, TOS and TNG had some of the best episodes of anything ever put on TV.  Star Trek also has a very unique sense of humor, that I suspect very few people who are not die-hard Star Trek fans to begin with completely get.  Perhaps most of those people don't quite realize how big a part of Star Trek humor is.  Firefly on the otherhand, is just perfect.  Don't get me wrong, I'll always love Star Trek more, but the fact that every moment of Firefly was so good is something special (granted, it's easier since they only had 14 episodes and a movie).

Battlestar Galactica was pretty good, but at some point (the boxing episode) it devolved into a nauseatingly melodramatic tangle of love triangles, and what I can only surmise was some rather bad planning. 

I liked Stargate SG1.  It is pretty much entirely a parody on other Sci Fi shows, which is great if you're already a Sci Fi fan.  I enjoyed Atlantis, but I can't really say it was a very good show, it was more enjoyable because of the momentum of SG1 than anything else.  SG Universe was an atrocity, in my opinion.  It seems like they were trying to capitalize on the recent flurry of "dark" shows, specifically Battlestar Galactica, and tried to turn SG into melodramatic crap.  I'm all for "dark" shows, but "dark" is pretty much the last word I'd use to describe Stargate.  Stargate is funny, it's good at being funny, it's enjoyable because it's funny, leave it the hell alone.

I couldn't get into Doctor Who.  All I remember is that episode of Family Guy where Brian says "Everyone's baked on pot.  The ratings for Doctor Who are through the roof.".  If it's not some sort of British stoner show, I'm not sure what category it falls in.  It didn't always seem like Sci Fi to me, although I can't pin down a particularly good reason that it isn't.

Quantum Leap defines that "It's so bad it's good" category.  And, I mean that wholeheartedly, it was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, but my memories of watching reruns in the mid 90's are golden.  For the sake of science fiction I think we should all agree that QL was NOT sci fi.

My last two New Years Eve's have been spent watching the original Twilight Zone from 10:00AM to 2:00AM, after seeing that there was an all day marathon on "Syfy" but choosing to watch it on Netflix to avoid the commercials.  Time well spent, time well spent.

It's really sad that we've been so deprived for so long, I mean, these shows are all old.  The last thing to really be any good was Firefly.  Perhaps the success of the magnificent Game of Thrones will finally cause something to change (because people who like neither genre for some reason identify fantasy with Sci Fi), but I'm not holding my breath.

You don't like Enterprise? Honestly that surprises me. For me Star Trek has always been about exploration and it almost has more exploration than TNG, VOY and TOS. I personally also think it's a helluva lot better than VOY, as well.... I also think the theme song fits. Heh I completely understand yah. I grew up on Star Trek as a kid, so I love em alot as well. Though in the last few years I've rewatched basically all of em (still have a few episodes to go on ENT) and althugh I loved VOY as a kid, I gotta say it's the weakest for story and character development. I think they also  dropped the ball on it as well. It really should've been aboot exploring the unknown a lot more than just getting home.

I think you're right aboot the Star Trek humor. People who aren't fans or have never seen an episode or movie think it's some ultra nerdy scifi circle jerk, when in fact, it's one of the best TV shows around, especially TOS, TNG and DS9.

It's a pity for Firefly. Out of all of the Scifi shows I've seen, it definitely had an incredibly strong start. It's such a pity that it was screwed over. it had such great potential.

Yeah... it did, but it did fill in a lot of epic "pew pew" space battles.

From watching clips on youtube I never thought I would like Stargate, as it looked way to cheesy and at first glance the acting looked awful. Though as I'm almost done with season 2, I'm loving it. Not as much as Farscape, but it's quite good. It's like some mixed together Indiana jones, a bit more humor and Scifi (not like the shitty 4th movie).

I've only seen a few clips of DW and from what I've seen, I gotta agree, but I'm trying to keep an open mind to things I haven't seen yet.

Really? i heard it was quite good. Espeically seeing how it has Scott Bakula and that one dude from BSG in it.

ReplyQuote
CrossDressiNate
(@crossdressinate)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Oh! Also theres a lot of shows on Netflix UK and Netflix Europe that netflix America doesn't have, thats how I'm watchin Stargate. If you're an American like me, I'd use Hola. It's an app for firefox or chrome that sets a country for a website. Idk if you're paying for services other thn netflix, but if you're, this might help ya save an extra $10-20.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Hmmm wow lot of shows out there.

And I will have to agree that ST:Enterprise is actually pretty good and I was disappointed it got cancelled just as it was getting good. Maybe people didn't like it because the humans
got there butts kicked sometimes and just narrowly escaped death. I do need to sit down and watch the new Doctor Who, I only saw up to Tom Baker and after that stopped watching. I never got
into Stargate and from what I have heard from people I have missed out so I want to watch those soon. I have recently been watching Arrow which is a good show and was surprised.

The Fringe is a good show and I would recommend people watch and of course the X-Files (umm which is coming back btw in a mini-series with Mulder and Scully). I need to sit down and watch
Gotham, Agents of Shield and the Flash.

ReplyQuote
set
 set
(@set)
Senior Chief Registered

Red dwarf and black adder are worth a watch even though they are old except for red dwarf season 10 which is newer and season 11 which should be out around xmas this year.  There's 6 free red dwarf episodes on hulu and 0 free episodes (25 paid) of black adder on hulu. Black adder and red dwarf apparently left netflix 2 months ago maybe they are somewhere or maybe they will be back?

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Some shows I like that haven't been mentioned yet:

-Continuum

-Other Space

-Steins;Gate

-Misfits

ReplyQuote
set
 set
(@set)
Senior Chief Registered

Since we are headed into the more obscure Starhunter 2300 (starhunter season 2) looks kind of neat but I've never watched more than a youtube excerpt. Starhunter (season 1) looks really really bad though. Starhunter 2300 might be available on netflix dvd. Also note starhunter the complete series is just season 1 which is the really really bad season.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Really? i heard it was quite good. Espeically seeing how it has Scott Bakula and that one dude from BSG in it.

Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly recommend Quantum Leap.  It's just unbelievably, unflinchingly silly.  If you're expecting that and are ok with it, you'll probably love it.

As far as Enterprise goes, I just for the life of me don't understand why anybody likes it.  I tried really hard, and nobody wanted to like it more than I did, but it was just terrible.  I'm such a loyal Star Trek fan that I've watched every single episode, and have been trying to forget them all ever since.  It just had too many issues.  Star Trek has had its share of bad acting, it sort of comes with the territory, but in the other series the actors grew into their rolls in a unique way that made it entirely their's.  So years later, highly successful, highly paid actors have to summon all their skill to duplicate those unique characters (thinking of JJ Abrams' Spock and McCoy) but still never live up to the originals.  That just never happened in Enterprise, with few exceptions what started terrible just remained terrible, I found most of the characters to be entirely forgettable.  I like Scott Bakula, but he was just not an appropriate choice for captain.  

One of the big fundamental problems for me was that it was set in the wrong time.  The already-existing series and movies were so voluminous and laid out so much backstory that there was simply no way for a series to fit comfortably in that era without seeming contrived or failing to be true to the existing lore.  I understand that the writers were getting tired of the "utopianist" ideas that Gene Rodenberry introduced and Rick Berman was sticking to, but in my view that's simply one of the things that makes Star Trek what it is.  If it's not positive and relatively humorous, it's just not the same, and one would be better off just making a different show that's not Star Trek at all.

ReplyQuote
CrossDressiNate
(@crossdressinate)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly recommend Quantum Leap.  It's just unbelievably, unflinchingly silly.  If you're expecting that and are ok with it, you'll probably love it.

As far as Enterprise goes, I just for the life of me don't understand why anybody likes it.  I tried really hard, and nobody wanted to like it more than I did, but it was just terrible.  I'm such a loyal Star Trek fan that I've watched every single episode, and have been trying to forget them all ever since.  It just had too many issues.  Star Trek has had its share of bad acting, it sort of comes with the territory, but in the other series the actors grew into their rolls in a unique way that made it entirely their's.  So years later, highly successful, highly paid actors have to summon all their skill to duplicate those unique characters (thinking of JJ Abrams' Spock and McCoy) but still never live up to the originals.  That just never happened in Enterprise, with few exceptions what started terrible just remained terrible, I found most of the characters to be entirely forgettable.  I like Scott Bakula, but he was just not an appropriate choice for captain.  

One of the big fundamental problems for me was that it was set in the wrong time.  The already-existing series and movies were so voluminous and laid out so much backstory that there was simply no way for a series to fit comfortably in that era without seeming contrived or failing to be true to the existing lore.  I understand that the writers were getting tired of the "utopianist" ideas that Gene Rodenberry introduced and Rick Berman was sticking to, but in my view that's simply one of the things that makes Star Trek what it is.  If it's not positive and relatively humorous, it's just not the same, and one would be better off just making a different show that's not Star Trek at all.

Oh I have no problem with silly, as long as the acting is there.

I liked it because it did show how humanity evolved a bit and found there way in the galaxy. We got to see the Vulcans be openly pompous instead os subtly pompous. It showed the consequences of not having a prime directive, as well as having some cool concepts.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Ah yes all the Star Trek series, yes very good, solid choice. But,....cough,....if you would like something a bit,...um.....different how about Lexx?

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

What a disgrace! I see no mention of babylon 5!

Massive spoiler warning:

ReplyQuote
CrossDressiNate
(@crossdressinate)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I knew I was missing a few. My computer just died and Babylon 5 isn't on Netflix. So it'll be awhile till I get a new computer. Just finished SG1 and boy did I enjoy it. Its definitely one of the best SciFi shows I've seen. Very Indiana jones-esquw. Can't say Atlantis is impressing me though. The premise is interesting, but the cast kind of sucks.

ReplyQuote