Notifications
Clear all

Foundation

Page 1 / 2

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Good news bad news, great that they are making a series of the books, bad news is that it's apple TV.

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @pinback

bad news is that it's apple TV.

Indeed!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I see Lee Pace is in this, he is a good actor 👍 

Yeah definitely the bad news is its on Apple TV 🙁 this looks really good though here is hoping it comes to other platforms eventually.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

This trilogy was one of the first works of sci-fi I ever read, it not only introduced me to Mr. Asimov but a passion for space. Hope they do this justice.

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Who that older guy in the trailer I know his face from something but can't place him.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Who that older guy in the trailer

Jared Harris?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

WOW...Foundation

If they are really serious about doing this epic story justice, it will need a whole bunch of movies to cover the 10,000 years of the original story. The true start of Foundation begins in the book Caves Of Steel as one of the main characters first appears in it. If done right, it needs to be treated on the same level as Lord Of the Rings and the Star Wars Saga, plus its bigger than both of them combined.

Apple could spend longer than George Lucas took making this saga. If this is just a single movie however, I will be greatly disappointed.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Jared Harris that's him, he was in the Expanse but I remember him better playing Moriarty in the last Sherlock Holmes film.

It going to be a Tv series Geraldine, so if it's successful their should be a number of series, don't recall how many books their are but I wonder if it's going to be one series per book or are they going to flesh it out a bit. 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@pinback

This being a TV series is giving me worries about the scope they are aiming for. The Foundation series is massive. If this is the route they are looking at then it will need to be done in seasons. The closest thing done like this I can think of was the Babylon 5 story arc. Even then, this was tiny compared to Foundation. There isn't any comparable sci-fi story that covers so much time, so many events. Issac Asimov made this his life's work so I hope they pay it the respect it deserves.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @geraldine

@pinback

This being a TV series is giving me worries about the scope they are aiming for. The Foundation series is massive. If this is the route they are looking at then it will need to be done in seasons. The closest thing done like this I can think of was the Babylon 5 story arc. Even then, this was tiny compared to Foundation. There isn't any comparable sci-fi story that covers so much time, so many events. Issac Asimov made this his life's work so I hope they pay it the respect it deserves.

Good point that given that a lot of these digital tv series seem to be only 13 episodes long instead of the normal 26.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@pinback

A single season of 13 episodes would never be enough to do justice to the intricate storylines Asimov put into his books. Those storylines are what made the series great with so much going on, not only in the foreground, but the background too. Done properly, it would make Game Of Thrones look like a tired re-run of some hapless old soap opera. Just a single character; Eto Demerzel, a.k.a, R. Daneel Olivaw, could have a single season just about him....or rather it. Olivaw is the single thread weaving it's way all through those 10,000 years of human history doing his Machiavelli bit and that's just a single example.

My one hope is the Asimov estate will be all over this. I don't want to see a repeat of what Hollywood did to I Robot. That was a travesty to the book. Great action movie yes, but it had very little in common with the vision of Asimov wanted to portray of Robotics being introduced into human societies.

Sorry to go on so much Pinback but I just am totally sick of these glib movies Hollywood churns out these days. They need to do better and audiences today need better movies that stick closer to the author's original intent. Goodness knows all of us could do with an in depth look at a possible future society we might yet become in these trying times we now live in, to give us hope if nothing else.......

I'll get off my soapbox now. 😯 

Foundation
This post was modified 4 years ago by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I was looking at Waterstones site yesterday, thinking I might buy the original trilogy again. Can't say I like that particular edition's (which I presume is the latest/current one) cover art though - not a patch on Foss' from the '70s.

The TV series will no doubt drive book sales, and Asimov's estate will cash in. But that cover art ain't got no soul!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I agree, the Foss covers are the best.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I agree, the Foss covers are the best.

Those are the covers which used to grace my bookcase - 'til they fell apart! For reference:

Oolite Naval Attaché

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

@pinback

A single season of 13 episodes would never be enough to do justice to the intricate storylines Asimov put into his books. Those storylines are what made the series great with so much going on, not only in the foreground, but the background too. Done properly, it would make Game Of Thrones look like a tired re-run of some hapless old soap opera. Just a single character; Eto Demerzel, a.k.a, R. Daneel Olivaw, could have a single season just about him....or rather it. Olivaw is the single thread weaving it's way all through those 10,000 years of human history doing his Machiavelli bit and that's just a single example.

My one hope is the Asimov estate will be all over this. I don't want to see a repeat of what Hollywood did to I Robot. That was a travesty to the book. Great action movie yes, but it had very little in common with the vision of Asimov wanted to portray of Robotics being introduced into human societies.

Sorry to go on so much Pinback but I just am totally sick of these glib movies Hollywood churns out these days. They need to do better and audiences today need better movies that stick closer to the author's original intent. Goodness knows all of us could do with an in depth look at a possible future society we might yet become in these trying times we now live in, to give us hope if nothing else.......

I'll get off my soapbox now. 😯 

Foundation

No worriers, Hollywood seems to have gone down a rabbit hole of endless sequels and meaningless remakes and underpants wearing super hero's. 😀  

Never realised that the three books made one picture. 😎 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes, a practice that has been done a few times..

Hitch

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Oooh, look what I turned up part 1 of 8

This post was modified 4 years ago by Geraldine

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Never realised that the three books made one picture.

Yeah, it makes a great poster.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday too.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Nice going to have a listen to that as it must be about thirty years since I read the books.

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Had a listen to all 8 parts of the show and it was as my memory remembered as in a series of short stories. was that just the first book or is this an abridge adaption of all three books?. 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@pinback

It's the latter, an abridged adaption of the Foundation trilogy. There is much more detail in the books of course and there are more books set before and after the events of the trilogy itself. The Foundation Saga is much bigger than just the trilogy because it really covers 10,000 years not merely 1000. This is why I wanted this to be a major series stretching overs various seasons or load of full feature films.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Cheers Geraldine, I thought it was abridged version but it must be about 30 years since I read the books so I'm pretty hazy on the details now.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

The trilogy itself, was loosely based on the collapse of the Roman Empire. As the Empire collapsed, small petty kingdoms sprang up, much like what happened in the middle ages. Part of the empire lived on (the Eastern Roman Empire) and even struck back, Bel Rios =Belisarius who reconquered part of the west. When I was young and read it, It seemed familiar, later on it made more sense as to why. That said, reading the trilogy was far more entertaining than reading the fall and decline of the roman Empire 😊 

Now that can accomplish so much with cinematic, I would absolutely love to see the trilogy brought to life on the big screen. Done well, it would blow away the original Star Wars trilogy imo.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

... it would blow away the original Star Wars trilogy imo.

That wouldn't be too difficult to do! But I would say that, as I've never been a fan of Star Wars.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@cody

I was always more a Blake's 7 and Space 1999 fan myself. 😏 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2