Foundation

Page 2 / 2

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  
Posted by: @cody
Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

... it would blow away the original Star Wars trilogy imo.

That wouldn't be too difficult to do! But I would say that, as I've never been a fan of Star Wars.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Star Wars and Empire awesome and even Jedi, the weakest of the original films looks like a master class in film making compared to the new ones.

Never been fond of the Mule part of the story and listing to the radio show just reinforced it. 

Have to say listing to the radio series I keep thinking off  Blake 7.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

<sniggers> You young'uns!

Blake's 7 - now that was classic sci-fi, with a well-written screenplay.

Screenplay was something George Lucas struggled with.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @geraldine

and Space 1999 fan myself.

1st season? absolutely, like a space horror movie at times, 2nd Season... hmm. Of course we all had to suspend our disbelief in that show, the moon getting knocked out of orbit and then travelling light years, but, and this was huge for me, it was low tech, and those Eagles looked like something we could really build. So yeah, I was a fan myself.

That wouldn't be too difficult to do! But I would say that, as I've never been a fan of Star Wars

I was a teen when Star Wars released, we were awed, had never seen anything like it. Empire strikes back was perhaps the pinnacle of the franchise, it was dark and better geared for adults, after that, the Muppets started infiltrating... The prequels were pretty meh, and the new sequels garbage. They should have went with the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn... and not just because Thrawn is my avatar... 😉  

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@gaius-konstantine

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

Empire Strikes Back...

At least The Empire Strikes Back had a decent screenwriter - until Lucas decided he didn't like it. Damn fool!

Leigh Brackett's influence lived on though, and it showed. Eventually, she got a posthumous credit for it.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

until Lucas decided he didn't like it. Damn fool

Another problem with Lucas is he kept tweaking the movies, years after the fact. Yes Solo shot first, and there was nothing wrong with it, it was in character, Anakin's force ghost was older, etc...

I'm also not entirely convinced that he had these stories outlined from the very beginning in anything but a vague form. The first Star Wars released in 77, could easily have been a stand alone movie, but the success of the picture must have been strong motivation to milk it, and milk it he did.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @pinback

Never been fond of the Mule part of the story

This... I had to think about it a while, there was something that didn't sit well with me either about that story line, something I couldn't quite grasp easily at first, but eventually I did.

I had no issue with the idea of an unexpected and unaccounted for event throwing Seldon's predicted history off, it was actually refreshing to see that the old coot wasn't omniscient. The deus ex machina used however, (the Mule's psychic powers) did lessen the story line though. But that wasn't all of it. Had the Mule been unique, it would have been more tolerable to me, but it turned out in latter books that there was a whole planet of Mules. Then on top of that, the 2nd Foundation was also more "Mules" 

Had Asimov managed to make the 2nd foundation be able to manipulate events behind the scenes, without psychic powers, I would have liked it better. Had the Mule just been a product not of mutation, but a unique (or extremely unlikely) set of circumstances that gave him an edge, that too would have appealed to me more. I love sci-fi, it doesn't matter if it's a movie, book, or game... but it has to stay plausible in my mind. The Mule, and indeed the whole idea of humans with such vast psychic powers of mind control, not only spoiled the plausibility, but it also gave me someone to hate in the books.

This wasn't Asimov's intention, but he should have known the reaction would happen, he actually predicted it in the book. At one point, he referenced how Mutants were sought out, to be studied or killed if they couldn't be contained. mankind had to evolve as a whole or not at all. I understood this, I felt this, and had I existed in that universe as a normal human, I too would have sought the elimination of those that would make me a second class member of the species.

I know what I just wrote may not be so appealing or idealistic... but it's honest.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Gaius Konstantine

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I believe Ford told Lucas on the set of Star Wars that " you write this crap but can't say it" or words to that effect.

I think the mule part of the story just does not feel right with what had gone before, remember enjoying the books up till that part then it just derailed it same happened with listing to the radio series. It's always felt a little contrived or maybe he just ran out of ideas of where to go with the story.

You know it's huge shame that more games do not use the fallen galactic empire as a setting, outside of couple of 4x games can't think of anything off hand, maybe Starflight. 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

When you think of the Mule, you have to put him in the context of why humans have psychic powers in the first place, why even the 2nd Foundation exists. What drove Seldon to come up with his Psycho History. This is "implied" how all this came about in the earlier, pre-Foundation books, how the original galactic empire was founded in the first place. As I keep saying, to fully appreciate the Foundation story; all 10,000 years of human history have to be considered as well. That means, those answers lie in the earlier books and specifically with character called R Giskard Reventlov.

So go read em! 😀 

Cody liked
ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @geraldine

This is "implied" how all this came about in the earlier, pre-Foundation books, how the original galactic empire was founded in the first place

R. Daneel Olivaw... and the pre-foundation books, didn't do as much for me, I read some but not all, it just didn't click with me and for obvious reasons. I don't care for super-beings, and it's also part of why I found the new Star Wars movies lacking. The Jedi, while powerful were vulnerable in the original trilogy, even Palpatine, the most powerful force user was vulnerable. With the new films, he is so powerful that I am left wondering why he would bother building a fleet. 

Anyhow, I may give the pre-foundation books another shot as it's been decades since I read any of them.

P.S.

Thanks for path to the future, I enjoyed it... and then I binge watched a bunch of episodes for good measure 😆 

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New trailer up.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

It does look good, I must admit. Shame about it being an Apple thing though.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

A new trailer and this is looking real good

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Hope this makes it way onto DVD or some other network.

Just been watching Jared Harris in the Terror. 😎  

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like it made it to a second season.

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Petty Officer Registered

Inside me are two wolves. One wolf grew up reading and loving the Foundation books, the other wolf just wants to enjoy some scif. I wish the wolves would get along.

I have to let go of the books and just let the show be its own thing. There's a lot to like about it but my curmudgeoness is holding me back. I want to shuck off my preconceptions and just enjoy a big budget modern scifi.

This post was modified 8 months ago by classyk

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Always loved the idea of a collapsing galactic empire, just a pity that more games have not used it as a background setting.

auryx liked
ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm struggling. Are we allowed talk plot? Spoilers below

Why is the show determined to do the opposite of the books?!? The characters are now getting ready for the Mule. The whole point of the Mule is that nobody could predict him! GAH

It looks great though, and the Mentalics are creepy af

This post was modified 7 months ago by classyk

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @classyk

I'm struggling. Are we allowed talk plot? Spoilers below

Why is the show determined to do the opposite of the books?!? The characters are now getting ready for the Mule. The whole point of the Mule is that nobody could predict him! GAH

It looks great though, and the Mentalics are creepy af

You can and IIRC I think their some way to hide text.

It the arrogance of the writing team, they always think the know better, probably explains why most of these show crash and burn, just look at anything on Disney.

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Petty Officer Registered

That episode (ep 8) was awesome. Finally the show has become its own thing.

This post was modified 7 months ago by classyk

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Petty Officer Registered

What am I going to complain about now that the season has finished?!? Well Quantum Leap is coming back soon 😀

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @classyk

Well Quantum Leap is coming back soon

They said that about Space: 1999 (though I think it is/was going to be rebooted as Space: 2099).

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Petty Officer Registered

Oh Quantum Leap has come back (it's into Season 2 -- it's OK for what it is)

If I was going to reboot Space:1999 I would go the other way and do Space:1979 and set it in an alt retro future!

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

@classyk If I was going to rebootSpace:1999I would go the other way and doSpace:1979and set it in an alt retro future!

They did rebooted it!! It's called "For All Mankind"!!!!!  🙂 🙂 🙂 

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Petty Officer Registered

In For All Mankind where they come across the commlock given to them by Barbara Bain herself (in universe) I did get very excited

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2