Notifications
Clear all

Jupiter Ascending

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I like Sean Bean, and I hope the Wachowskis brothers do a good job on this one.

shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

Nice!, Looking forward to this one.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Looking goooood !!

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

This came out of nowhere    . But I sincerrely hope that, Sean Bean's character, will not meet a gruesome death, for once!!!    

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

🙂  I have to admit that i get a little chocked up still when Boromir dies in LOTR, one of the best death scenes he will probably ever do. And if the Wachowskis can capture that magic that they had with the first Matrix it could become a cult classic.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Another one

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

Ooooh........I really shouldn't get excited about this, but I can't help it. The setting looks awesome and the bad guy suitably British and insane and threatening

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

Third trailer. Date keeps slipping which is a bit ominous but still looking forward to it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ZzMkDLjWI[/media]

auryx

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

The reviews beat this movie up but I actually thought it was pretty good, nice to know that earth is a farm and humans are the cattle (hehe Soylent Green anyone) hehe. I thought the special effects were good and what you should expect from a scifi movie that has characters that are thousands of years old so they better have some cool stuff. Overall the story i thought was good and makes me want to read the book now. I think where people don't like the movie is that it is out there in its story, but I lked it and never reading the book it makes me want to know to see how different from the book it is.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

I haven't actually got around to seeing this yet, and yeah it didn't help that the reviews panned it. But bought it on DVD today so shall give it a watch shortly. Really hope it's not too bad.....we need a good epic space adventure movie!

I didn't realise there was a book, DarkOne? Will have to try that too.

auryx

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Good visual entertainment, bad story, some matrix elements, but you would probably expect that from the Wachowskis.

But worth the watch in my opinion if you like visuals.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I didn't realise there was a book, DarkOne? Will have to try that too.

Did some looking and thought there was a book but I guess not.

I would agree with Shadmar there is Matrix elements to the story, but I didn't think the story was all that bad if they focused more on it and not take it several places.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

So I finally got around to watching this after many months. I wish I'd got to see it in the cinema - I bet the effects would have looked brilliant - but still, I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it.

I didn't think much to the lead characters (no offense to Mr. Tatum and Ms. Kunis, but I think they were badly miscast) and the dialogue and plot twists were a bit silly. But the thing I'd been looking forward to was the setting and backstory, and those didn't disappoint. The genre is that kind of "feudal dynastic space opera" which isn't really popular in books or movies, but which many sci-fi games are based on - from Elite and EVE right back to the Space Master and Traveller pen and paper RPGs of yore. It got me thinking about how brilliant it would be to play a space sim in that universe or see a spin-off series or sequel, and that's a good sign.

I also loved the sheer vibrancy and colour of the effects - too many recent space movies have been vast and empty and black and white.

I'd definitely recommend it to all spaceflight sci-fi fans, as long as you don't mind the insufferable romantic interludes and silly one-liners 🙂

auryx

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I agree, I did actually like this movie and I hope there is some sort of directors or extended version that comes out that covers more of the back story that would be nice. And I agree this movie would have looked great on the big screen but it look great in HD so I have no complaints. It is worth a watch for those scifi fans.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Finally caught up with this film over Christmas and was not too impressed by it, the story seems to get going and then is interrupted by some overlong action scene not helped by Channing Tatum wooding acting, you could have replaced him with a wooden plank and got more life out of it. Couple of good ideas in the story but they are just thrown away as explanations, first one beaning they are responsible for a lot of Earths legends and the second one is they mixed human DNA with the Earths indigenous population, big supprise of the film was Sean Beans character was not killed.

As for the visual look they seem to have ripped everything off from Dune, The Fifth Element and their own Matrix film along with a bureaucratic sequence that could have come straight out of Douglas Adams Hitch Hikers books.

ReplyQuote
CrossDressiNate
(@crossdressinate)
Senior Chief Registered

It was.... interesting. It had some cool points, but by the end of it all, it was a little too comedic and stupid. I enjoyed watching it once, but I'll never go out of my way to watch it again. It definitely surprised me how poor this movie was compared to the Matrix Trilogy and V for Vendetta (possibly better than the first Matrix in some aspects).

I did enjoy the cinemtography though!  Of course it is mostly CGI, but some of the scenes were just great to look at, especially in the theater!

ReplyQuote